Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-24-2009, 09:39 AM

Default Lee Loader

Hey all, been debating eventually getting into reloading. Looking at the Lee Loaders (http://www.wholesalesports.com/store...rod210823.html) looks like it might be a good deal to try dabbling in it and see if it's for me without spending a couple hundred on all the tools.

Anyone tried it and had success or it just a waste of cash?
Old 11-24-2009, 09:54 AM

http://www.wholesalesports.com/store...rod252150.html
this is the reloading kit i have. all you have to get after this is the dies and a caliper to measure the overall length. easy to use and not very expensive. there are many different ones you can get but i felt that this one being the least expensive and practically comes with everything was the best deal.... IMO
Old 11-24-2009, 11:01 AM

When I first started reloading I started with a Lee Loader. While I wouldn't say that it was a complete waste of time and money, loading ammo was slow and frustrating, and it wasn't long before I bought an RCBS Rockchucker kit.
I agree with tiggity, if you're on a budget, the Lee Single Stage press would be a better choice. If you buy the Lee Loader I think you will be buying a press if you plan on taking up the hobby of reloading.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:24 PM

I think I might go that route, still under $200 so not a huge investment. Thanks!
Old 11-24-2009, 03:45 PM

I started with a Lee Loader too! I like em! I probably loaded close to 300+ 303 brit, and 150 30-30 with that rig. It's slow, but works great. I would probably still be using one if I hadn't got into the wildcat game. Lee doesn't make a 375 Taylor loader or I'd be using it...

Just remember to be gentle with the primer seating tool. Nothing catastrophic will happen, but the "pop" from the primer going off will come as a bit of a surprise.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:10 PM

Default lee reloader

I started relaoding twenty years ago with a lee hand load doing 303 british it was slow but read alot and did it i brought a reaload press and dies i relaod ny own and relative . but the only thing is buy main popular reloading press not the imports one . I did this and now have to modifty the shell holder. the relaod kit they have now out are realy good now and most have almost everything you need, but get a good calipers for measureing shells
Old 11-24-2009, 04:23 PM

I started last fall with the RCBC rockchucker kit - a bit more, but worth the extra I think..The powder thrower is not the best and I bought a used lyman 55 which drops powder better...a turret press would be my next choice as we reload multiple calibres.....when I was out shopping and comparing and talking to experienced reloaders, everyone steered me towards the RCBS set....my opinion....
Old 11-24-2009, 10:20 PM

When I first started reloading I started out with a Lee Loader in 6.5 x 55 that came with a $100 dollar swedish mauser.. loading ammo was slow,but I feel was a great thing to learn on BUT it wasn't long before I bought an RCBS Rockchucker press, a fair scale and a good reloading manual. then SEVERAL years down the road I finally bought a hand primer...(what a time saver that was) I even made my own reloading blocks from scrap 2x4..

IF I had to do it all over again..I would start with the rockchucker press kit.. and buy the .. electic powder dispenser and scale combo as soon as I had the extra $$$$$$$...

SO IF your thinking about getting into the reloading game do yourself a favor buy a kit as most everything you need is there in one package.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:38 AM

I also started out with a Lee loader, it takes time but you can load on the tail gate of a truck or at the range, once you have fired a round and dialed it in you can load anywhere. One round in 40 seconds isn't that bad. It neck sizes only, and crimps, no good for auto loaders or lever actions, if I reload at the range its great, though I now bring a small digital scale, calipers, and a hand primer press. Good place to start for 33$
Old 11-25-2009, 09:07 AM

Definately bookmarking this thread to visit it again later in the winter when I have time to get started on trying out reloading, thanks again all.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:05 AM

I have one of those lee loaders linked in the original post. rhuntley12 if you want to give it a whirl you can.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:08 PM

Everyone says the kit is so slow - I don't understand. I've used it and the only slow thing I find is weighing powder.

I do things in batches.

I deprime my batch, then I neck size my batch. Trim if needed. I do use a hand priming tool which speeds up the process and I prime my batch. Then I just toss the brass into the die thing weigh the powder/trickle, pour it in using a funnel. Funnels stop the spills. Drop a bullet in, a few taps its seated. My bullets seat to generally within 0.002"

Honestly, depriming and neck sizing with the lee classic kit can be argued to be just as quick, if not faster than a single stage press, mind you need to have good dexterity/hands eye co ordination.

The lee 50th anivsary kit though, its a great deal and bargain. You can't go wrong. And if you just by the hand tool, you'll end up buying all the little extra's after... Get the kit with the press.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Honestly, depriming and neck sizing with the lee classic kit can be argued to be just as quick, if not faster than a single stage press, mind you need to have good dexterity/hands eye co ordination.
Anything can be argued,but in this case not successfully.
I size and deprime my cases with a single pull of the handle with my Rockchucker,how can the LEE loader be quicker than that?
Old 11-28-2009, 09:35 PM

I started with one last year and it worked good for the " 40 or so i thought i would be reloading a year.lol. I still got the kit but, it started an obsession with reloading so i got a single stage press and all the fixings. If you get one it will work. But using a hammer gets old quick. Good luck and always follow the Books.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:24 AM

Default LEE Anniversary kit

I started off and still use regularly the Lee Anniversary kit which I purchased in 1998. The only upgrades I`ve done is digital scale & powder trickler.
With this kit I`ve reloaded; 6.5x55, .303,.204, 30-30, 308, 30-06, 300Wm, 7.62x39, .270,45-70,.45ACP and .357/38Sp.
The last two were obviously time consuming.
It does what I need.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:39 AM

I have the Lee annaversary kit. I've usesd it for .300WM, .30WCF, and .45-70. Great bang for the buck. I hunt, and own 2 lever guns so I crimp. The Lee factory crimp die is idiot proof. I measure each charge by hand on the balance scale so yeah, it's slow going, but the quality of the finnished product is very satisfying. Only extra's I bought were the case cutters, sizing tools, and a digital caliper.