Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-18-2018, 08:20 PM

Default Question on reloading 308 cal

Hi I am new to reloading and have a question. I am loading 308 cal 165 gr BTSP Interlock, H4895 powder, now the Lee Manual says Start at 41.0 gr at 2525 FPS and never exceed 43.5 at 2694 FPS, min OAL is 2.750
Now I am not ready to start loading tests yet to see what my gun likes, so I looked at a box of Hornady 165 gr BTSP Interlock shells and it lists the velocity as 2700 FPS.
I want to just get experience reloading shells so I decided to load 43 gr of powder now why does the book list 2.750 for the min length and on other listings it shows 2.810 ?
I would like to go to 2.80, Is this OK or will my velocity lower due to the bullet being pushed forward?
Am I looking at this correctly please advise?
Rick
Old 06-18-2018, 08:26 PM

The Hodgdon reloading site lists 2.750" as the proper OAL for this bullet/load combo.

Check out their website at www.hodgdonreloading.com
Old 06-18-2018, 09:31 PM

always start at the minimum suggested powder load.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:15 AM

Use a fired brass and your chosen bullet to find the distance that bullet meets your rifles rifling. Start 0.020" shorter than that. Or you can load to the standard length. The important part of length is that its consistent and for most people, not jammed into the rifling before firing. Obviously it has to fit in the magazine and function in your rifle. So check that it works in your rifle at your chosen length before loading up a bunch.

Then start at the powders recommended starting load and work from there.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:22 AM

Another factor is how many rounds have been through your barrel and how much throat erosion it has.
Had an old Savage model 110 and to get close to the lands I was pushing the max OAL.

A buddy tried to shoot one of my reloads for that rifle at the range and it would not even load for him.

A good reminder that one size does not fit all.

When loading .308 for my BAR, I had to absolutely avoid hotter loads to properly cycle the semi-automatic action without jamming