Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-16-2018, 06:26 PM

Default Gull Lake – Sandy Point Review

Sunday December 16th, departed mid-morning dragged my gear to my most productive spot, stayed till 3:30 didn’t see any Whites, Perch, Burbs or Walleye only had a couple Pike bugging me. Disappointing but not giving up, going back to Sandy tomorrow to try a spot in an area with more sand & taller weeds. Was pleased to see the water clarity has improved. Lots of vehicles & tracks there have been a few groups out but no one driving out on the ice yet. Will update again tomorrow.

A few Pics …. enjoy.

D.

Sandy Point Lake Access Parking Area

Few Groups out today ... was that You?

Used Scott's Highboy due to Deep Snow.

Was out about 100 yds over 5-6 FOW

Nice rock rubble bottom water is much clearer than the past 3-4 Years

Vibro called a two Pike into the area but nothing else!

Try not to hook them but this Pike snagged itself - Took the leaches off.

You don't catch many this way - My Butt Hurts!

Someone made a nice Inuksuk Landmark on the Point.

When I worked North of 60, seen a a few real deal Inuksuk's in Nunavut, but that was another lifetime ago.

Hope tomorrow's a better day .... if not going back to Sylvan - Sunbreaker area.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:38 PM

Thanks for all your great threads. They make this forum a great place.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:03 PM

Thx for nice informative post Z-Z. Got to try gull next week me thinks.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Thanks for all your great threads. They make this forum a great place.
Thank you Sir ... the positive feedback is appreciated.

Kind regards

David

Old 12-16-2018, 08:10 PM

Mr pike got the ol Texas heart shot. Yee-ouch... yes thanks for your nice posts and great photos they always generate some constructive dialog. Not many guys putting up photos anymore much less sharing knowledge. Good on ya.👏
Old 12-16-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skawtty View Post
Thx for nice informative post Z-Z. Got to try gull next week me thinks.
Mr. S ... I like Gull, wish I could spend more time fishin there over the winter, however, I've got 1 week before we pack up & depart to Phoenix.

With the improved water clarity I would think people should do well on some of the deeper points & sunken humps & islands this year.

If I can get Scott (BWabbit) out on Sandy Point one more time, I know were there's a huge Beaver Lodge were he can field test a few of those new prototype W/W's. He may need to upgrade his 6 lb floro to 30 lb Braded if he hooks one, at least he cut's 2 - 10" holes side-x-side so we can get it on the ice. Avg beaver weighs 50 - 60 lbs, lots of good eating, too.

Cheers

D.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Mr pike got the ol Texas heart shot. Yee-ouch... yes thanks for your nice posts and great photos they always generate some constructive dialog. Not many guys putting up photos anymore much less sharing knowledge. Good on ya.👏
Mr. Pike06 ... that small fish sure was a scrapper under the ice until I hauled is azz back up the hole, the barb was pinched down a bit & came right out, I believe the fish gasped then gave me a smile when it got released.

Pleased you enjoyed the story & my pic's.

Hopefully tomorrow will produce a bit better, I'm looking for one big White that I missed last year that was as big as the one's Mr. Snap catches in Pigeon.

Cheers

David

Old 12-17-2018, 05:35 AM

Thumbs up

As always, awesome post !
Love the pictures.

Quote:
I've got 1 week before we pack up & depart to Phoenix.

I have a list of Pinto parts you can bring back with you ! LOL
Old 12-17-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post

If I can get Scott (BWabbit) out on Sandy Point one more time, I know were there's a huge Beaver Lodge were he can field test a few of those new prototype W/W's. He may need to upgrade his 6 lb floro to 30 lb Braded if he hooks one, at least he cut's 2 - 10" holes side-x-side so we can get it on the ice. Avg beaver weighs 50 - 60 lbs, lots of good eating, too.

Cheers

D.
Haha that's funny right there!
Old 12-17-2018, 08:54 AM

Hey Zip, I was in that group of 4 tents pictured above. We came to get burbs over whites. All I got was a small pike and walleye. Saw one agressive white and that was it for those. Did see some burbs but accidentally bonked the one on the head I should have had. Oh well, that's fishing.

The group we were fishing with also measured a solid 9 inches. B U T, where we were it struggled to get to 6 inches. Most spots I checked further out were closer to 6 inches as well. Lots of variation in thickness as this is still early ice. And, the ice is pretty crappy as well. I hope we do not see to many going through this holiday season. This is the least amount of ice I've seen or recall.

Also, every hold flooded so some big sections now have a good deal of flood water, about 2-3 inches worth.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Hey Zip, I was in that group of 4 tents pictured above. We came to get burbs over whites. All I got was a small pike and walleye. Saw one agressive white and that was it for those. Did see some burbs but accidentally bonked the one on the head I should have had. Oh well, that's fishing.

The group we were fishing with also measured a solid 9 inches. B U T, where we were it struggled to get to 6 inches. Most spots I checked further out were closer to 6 inches as well. Lots of variation in thickness as this is still early ice. And, the ice is pretty crappy as well. I hope we do not see to many going through this holiday season. This is the least amount of ice I've seen or recall.

Also, every hold flooded so some big sections now have a good deal of flood water, about 2-3 inches worth.

Mr. Snap ... tks for the update, I found the same conditions today. The 2 guys in you group who left their tent out last night showed up this morning and packed up and departed early.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:19 PM

Dec 17th – Sandy Point Day #2, Bty day, found my spot in the shallows in 5 fow, sand & light weed bottom, seen 3 Pike, 2 Burbs Vibro was baitless, they didn't hang around, no Whites, Walleye or Perch, disappointing. There were only 3 groups out & 2 departed by 11:00 am, around 11:15 a guy from Lacombe came out he said he was at Brownlow’s seen 4 Whites between 9:00 & 10:00 and decided to come out to Sandy, he quit in 1 hour after not seeing anything. I did the same after lunch, the floor in my shack was taking on water, packed up and went to check out Brownlow’s, a few more people/shacks out, took a few pic’s and went home.

Going back to fish Sylvan …

D.

Had no interest in hooking these little guys.

Little Ice & lots of Flood Water.

Brownlow’s – A Few Shacks Out on Ice Here.

When You don’t Take Your Shack Off at the End of the Season!