Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-14-2018, 08:50 AM

Default CWD home test kit

I wish there was some sort of quicker home testing option for chronic wasting disease.

This past Sunday afternoon, the boss and I harvested a big beautiful doe. After gutting, we kept the heart for supper on Monday as we were on our friends land and they had made us supper that evening.

So Monday I rush to beat the boss home from work, cut up onions and garlic, fry up some bacon and perogies, and cut and cook this beautiful heart.

Supper was great! But..... do I have holes forming in my brain as I'm typing this? I took the day off today to cut and pack this deer as it's been getting pretty warm out.

What are your thoughts on eating meat that's not tested? We were in wmu 312. I know eastern wmu zones testing is mandatory. We were planning on having the tenders tomorrow and start making sausage right away.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:55 AM

Default From The Canadian Food Inspection Agency:

Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) - Fact Sheet
What is chronic wasting disease?
Chronic wasting disease (CWD) is a progressive, fatal nervous system disease known to naturally infect white-tailed deer, mule deer, moose, elk and reindeer.
CWD belongs to the family of diseases known as transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSEs), or prion disease. Though it shares features with other TSEs, such as bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) in cattle and scrapie in sheep, it is a distinct disease only known at this time to naturally affect members of the deer (cervid) family.
Is CWD a risk to human health?
At this time there is no direct scientific evidence to suggest that CWD may be transmitted to humans.
It is however recommended that any tissue that may have come from a known CWD-infected animal not be used or consumed by humans.
Measures have been taken at both the federal and provincial/territorial levels to reduce human exposure to products potentially contaminated by CWD by preventing known infected animals from entering the food chain.
Health Canada recommends that people avoid consuming meat from animals known to be infected with any TSEs. In areas where CWD is known to exist in wild cervids, hunters are encouraged to take precautions when handling carcasses and should consider having those animals tested before eating the meat, preparing trophies or tanning hides. Any further questions related to human health and food safety can be directed to Health Canada.
If members of the public have concerns, they should contact provincial or territorial officials where they live or hunt.

The http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/...0190096558Link for more info:
Old 11-14-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
At this time there is no direct scientific evidence to suggest that CWD may be transmitted to humans.

Another way to say the same thing.

Quote:
At this time there is no direct scientific evidence to suggest that CWD Can Not be transmitted to humans.

At least government officials are being little more cautious than when they officially stated that it was completely safe to eat BSE infected beef.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 11-14-2018, 11:10 AM

I spend sufficient time in 312 and 212 west end. I have never seen any visual sign of CWD affected Deer. Testing is not mandatory and never have my animals tested from those zones. Make your sausage, enjoy those tenders and rest easy. My 2 cents
Old 11-14-2018, 12:08 PM

Animals with little or no fat (the thick white dry fat) found while skinning the animals, is one of the physical signs that may mean the deer has Cwd. My mule deer last year from 243 had no fat and was sick. My mule deer this year has no fat and I fear the same thing.

I personally will not feed the deer meat to my kids. As with mad cow disease- once it made the leap to humans, pretty devastating. It’s not recommended to consume the meat. I have nothing against anyone who chooses to eat it. You will probably be fine.

My advice would be to not hunt in Cwd zones if at all possible, if you’re worried about it.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:19 PM

Since CWD is spreading rapidly, it's pretty hard to know a CWD free zone for sure.
My advice, get your game animals tested.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:33 PM

There is a drop off freezer not too far from my work so I will bring the head in to be tested. I wonder if by eating the heart, the damage to myself is already done if in fact this deer is infected. This was a big doe and didn't look sick to me at all. But I'm definitely not taking my opinion as the answer. I guess these tenders will be going into the freezer for now instead of in my belly.
On a side note.. she got processed in my kitchen yesterday. I'll have to figure out a little more convenient system for the next one lol
Old 11-15-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
There is a drop off freezer not too far from my work so I will bring the head in to be tested. I wonder if by eating the heart, the damage to myself is already done if in fact this deer is infected. This was a big doe and didn't look sick to me at all. But I'm definitely not taking my opinion as the answer. I guess these tenders will be going into the freezer for now instead of in my belly.
On a side note.. she got processed in my kitchen yesterday. I'll have to figure out a little more convenient system for the next one lol
We process our deer in the kitchen too. Having the sink is handy. We cover the table and counters with plastic and then get to work. Afterwards we clean everything really well. I used to do it in the garage but I like the kitchen better... as long as it flies with the wife lol
Old 11-15-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeGardner View Post
We process our deer in the kitchen too. Having the sink is handy. We cover the table and counters with plastic and then get to work. Afterwards we clean everything really well. I used to do it in the garage but I like the kitchen better... as long as it flies with the wife lol
I took the day off yesterday so the boss was at work. She has no idea the mess I was making lol. Deer was hanging in the shed and I kept running out to cut off a 1/4 then run back in the house to cut.

Back to original post- I think it's a bit of a wait for cwd results to get back. What are your guys' experiences? Thanks
Old 11-17-2018, 11:22 AM

Well I'm disinfecting my cutting boards and knives and counter tops and vacuum sealer while I wait for my results. Do you guys know the wait time? I'm sure they're pretty busy.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Well I'm disinfecting my cutting boards and knives and counter tops and vacuum sealer while I wait for my results. Do you guys know the wait time? I'm sure they're pretty busy.
unfortunately disinfecting won't do anything about the prions, I mean I don't think you'll be patient zero but once they are on your stuff they are there for good
Old 11-17-2018, 01:37 PM

So it's safe to say that everyone will get this? We just made some beef and barley soup this morning. It's in the slow cooker right now. Did it get infected from my countertop? I can't soak my island in bleach for an hour. I'd have to take it to a swimming pool.

I guess if we look on the bright side... we might finally get this zombie apocalypse everyone's been patiently waiting for!!

Time to stock up on 223 and sks ammo!!!
Old 11-17-2018, 01:42 PM

from my understanding you really limit your exposure if you aren't dealing with a spinal cord, spinal fluid or brain matter.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:50 PM

I called and asked F&W if a CWD test could be run on spinal cord/spinal fluid (these are part of central nervous system right?). The answer was NO, they need the head to do the test.
It seems these prions are not so easy to detect.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:11 PM

Prions are located in the obex portion of the brain stem and in the rear pharyngeal lymph nodes. Staff cut these out. Extremely thin slices are taken. They are then placed on a slide and stained. If the stain indicates potentially folded prions, the samples go to the Feds, who confirm or deny or findings.

Can't test at home. No accurate tests on a living animal.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:34 PM

Apparently prions can live for years with no host. Just in dirt or wherever else. Not sure the exact term they use for "living" because I guess they are not an actual living thing. Surviving maybe?

Anyway I submitted my doe head to one of the freezer drop offs yesterday. I had to contact f&w because of some missing info. I'm nowhere near a drop off freezer so yesterday was my only chance. They said to expect my results after xmas sometime. They're pretty backed up right now which really sucks but is totally understandable.

So anyone reading this has a bit of an eta on their results
Old 11-20-2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Apparently prions can live for years with no host. Just in dirt or wherever else. Not sure the exact term they use for "living" because I guess they are not an actual living thing. Surviving maybe?

Anyway I submitted my doe head to one of the freezer drop offs yesterday. I had to contact f&w because of some missing info. I'm nowhere near a drop off freezer so yesterday was my only chance. They said to expect my results after xmas sometime. They're pretty backed up right now which really sucks but is totally understandable.

So anyone reading this has a bit of an eta on their results
That sucks, I’m planning on submitting my deer for testing as well. But was hoping to know if it’s positive before I cut it up. Guess I might as well just process it and get it in the freezer because it will all be green by the time the results come back in, if I don’t!!
Old 11-21-2018, 06:26 AM

It is however recommended that any tissue that may have come from a known CWD-infected animal not be used or consumed by humans.
Measures have been taken at both the federal and provincial/territorial levels to reduce human exposure to products potentially contaminated by CWD by preventing known infected animals from entering the food chain.
Health Canada recommends that people avoid consuming meat from animals known to be infected with any TSEs. In areas where CWD is known to exist in wild cervids, hunters are encouraged to take precautions when handling carcasses and should consider having those animals tested before eating the meat, preparing trophies or tanning hides. Any further questions related to human health and food safety can be directed to Health Canada.

THEY SAY THIS TO COVER THEIR BUTT I KNOW 1 CASES THAT IT HAS TRANSFERRED TO HUMANS AND HEARD OF ANOTHER THE GOVERNMENT DOES NOT WANT US TO HERE THE TRUTH THAT IS WHY THEY TELL YOU TO BURN THE MEAT OR BURY IT SO IT GETS COVERED UP
Old 11-21-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher67 View Post

THEY SAY THIS TO COVER THEIR BUTT I KNOW 1 CASES THAT IT HAS TRANSFERRED TO HUMANS AND HEARD OF ANOTHER THE GOVERNMENT DOES NOT WANT US TO HERE THE TRUTH THAT IS WHY THEY TELL YOU TO BURN THE MEAT OR BURY IT SO IT GETS COVERED UP
Could you provide a link or source? I would be interested to learn more about these cases. This stuff freaks me out.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
That sucks, I’m planning on submitting my deer for testing as well. But was hoping to know if it’s positive before I cut it up. Guess I might as well just process it and get it in the freezer because it will all be green by the time the results come back in, if I don’t!!

Ya I spent all day processing mine not knowing if I can even use the meat. I cleaned my ground pile quite a bit more than the average person might do it. Not because I'm better lol just trying to get rid of any bad taste. I was probably wasting my time and threw out more than I should have but I'm learning lol.

I know it took me a lot longer than the deer ninjas on YouTube do it.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:51 PM

Just got my results back and my deer tested negative for CWD. Now I can eat those tenders I froze. And make some sausage.

I have a bunch of dear meat from last year left that we've made sausage with that we've already consumed. So I think I will go ahead and use the rest of this meat also.

Also just got about 40 lbs. Of moose from my uncle. Not sure if he's even heard of CWD lol
Old 12-18-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Just got my results back and my deer tested negative for CWD. Now I can eat those tenders I froze. And make some sausage.

I have a bunch of dear meat from last year left that we've made sausage with that we've already consumed. So I think I will go ahead and use the rest of this meat also.

Also just got about 40 lbs. Of moose from my uncle. Not sure if he's even heard of CWD lol
Moose are a lot less likely to have CWD because they are relatively more solitary in nature and therefore are not picking it up from other animals. Doesn’t mean they can’t get, just more unlikely.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:56 PM

Well I'll write a note in my will to have myself tested. Then I'll have one of the kids update this thread. With all the deadly close calls I've had I might live forever tho.. or probably not lol so keep checking back!
Old 12-18-2018, 05:09 PM

If the chitter was healthy and running around you are probably ok...
Old 12-18-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craddosk View Post
Prions are located in the obex portion of the brain stem and in the rear pharyngeal lymph nodes. Staff cut these out. Extremely thin slices are taken. They are then placed on a slide and stained. If the stain indicates potentially folded prions, the samples go to the Feds, who confirm or deny or findings.

Can't test at home. No accurate tests on a living animal.
They're looking for malformed proteins, don't think disinfectant will help with those.

Grizz
Old 12-18-2018, 07:18 PM

You cannot tell an uninfected animal by it being apparently healthy. The disease takes more than a year to develop and eventually kill the animal.
Infected young mule deer bucks taken by friends this year had ample layers of fat and no sign of illness.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:33 PM

I cannot find it currently but I thought I read an article that referenced a CWD lab exp that was able to have CWD jump species. Anyone else read it????
Old 12-18-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stob View Post
I cannot find it currently but I thought I read an article that referenced a CWD lab exp that was able to have CWD jump species. Anyone else read it????
http://apwildlife.org/publications/
Old 12-19-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeGardner View Post
Animals with little or no fat (the thick white dry fat) found while skinning the animals, is one of the physical signs that may mean the deer has Cwd. My mule deer last year from 243 had no fat and was sick. My mule deer this year has no fat and I fear the same thing.
Any decent size late season rutting buck will have little fat if they roam in an area where the buck to doe ratio is high. Simply put, the big boys continuously challenge each other and roam looking for does constantly. They barely feed and chase until they catch some tail.

You can't tell by just looking at a deer if it has CWD unless it's in a late stage. Your buck could've very well had a fatty rump during the early season...
Old 12-19-2018, 01:24 PM

Default spray nine

we use spray nine and scrub brush to disinfect , will kill just about every thing bacterial and
viruses like Ebola , Hanta virus etc. , just don't inhale fumes