Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-21-2018, 01:21 PM

Default Anyone own a Viszla? or GSP?

hey guys, been researching both breeds for a while and looking at getting one of each, however, my wife has allergies and we are hoping to hang out with one for a bit and see how bad they are. Does anyone have one?
thanks.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:22 PM
Banned

That is a good family Dog. I remember my grandfather had one while I was growing. Such a lovely and energetic Dog. Good luck in your search.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:35 PM

My wife is allergic to dogs. She even went to an allergist to get tested as i said I was calling her bluff (wanted some small non hunting hypoallergenic dog)

I got the GSP anyways. She suffers.......

....but she has been getting better. Like significantly better.

She still takes a claratin a day, and if she is in direct contact with Lloyd for a long period of time will break out a little, but the day to say symptoms are almost gone.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:59 PM

My GSP def sheds hair and dander. If her allergies are bad, probably won't be good. My brother has a viszla and honestly I can't remember how bad they are. I don't think they have the same undercoat that GSPs have.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:28 PM

thanks, guys. ya, nothing to new so far. my sister seems to react differently to different dogs, hoping its the same with my wife. forgot to mention I live just outside of Drumheller Alberta and have some pretty good access for pheasant and ducks. maybe someone wants to come for a walk with some shotguns and give my wife and I some exposure to either one of these breeds. let me know.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:17 PM

I’ve got a V and they’re a great breed. But if it’s the saliva your wife is allergic to (it’s usually the saliva or dander, not hair/fur) then a V may not be the best breed because they’re cat-like in their cleaning tendencies. No experience w/GSPs but I’ve never seen any breed groom the way my V does; rear leg halfway in his mouth all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2018, 08:32 PM

hey, birdy do you live close to Calgary by chance? any way we could come have your pup drool on my wife a bit?
Old 09-21-2018, 10:32 PM

I have never owned one but these are the answer to some allergy sufferers;

The Pudelpointer is an interesting hunting dog in that he originated from the Pudel, or German Hunting Poodle, the English Pointer and other Pointing breeds. He is a hypoallergenic breed and a versatile hunter. He is a gentle dog and loves receiving attention and affection. His intelligence makes him easy to train and he excels when positive reinforcement is being used. The Pudelpointer may look awkward but he is a devoted companion and hunter. He does require a lot of exercise and daily exercise is recommended to keep him calm and able to adjust to a family setting rather than being out in the field or water hunting.

Read more at: https://wagwalking.com/breed/pudelpointer
Old 09-22-2018, 09:06 AM

ya I've heard great things about poodle pointers as well. just not sure I can do it. lol.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:14 AM

i have a gsp and a gwp , the wirehair doesn't really shed much , the shorthair does. on a side note , these guys are insane with energy , just know what your getting into. but they are the best dogs i've ever had to hang out with.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:11 PM

I have owned two Viszlas now one female and one Male. The female was great didn't shed and not as much dander and less odor. The Male sheds a bit more and more of a odor from him, however he is not clipped yet either which may have something to do with that.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:11 AM

thanks, guys. either of you live in near Calgary?
Old 12-05-2018, 04:25 PM

I have GSP's and have a litter of pups just born we are near Innisfail she can come up and get some drool and hair on her see if it causes her issues.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:53 PM

Own, breed, and hunt with vizslas. Great dogs, both hunting and family
Old 12-07-2018, 08:09 AM

Default Viszla or Gsp

i got my son a GSP because i had a very hard time finding a Lab breeder that hunted their dogs. i am guilty of not doing enough research into the breed to understand the amount of exercise these guys require. that said, during the winter our dog kind of goes into a hibernation type of mode lays around and sleeps a lot. but come spring, its full on muskrat patrol, find all kind of cow excretions to consume, chase a few geese around, hide the occasional mouse in his mouth and try to sneak it into the house kind of things they like to do. We took him to a kennel and found out that the owner of the kennel taught him to go for runs with the quad. thats what we do now with him when it warms up in the spring and even on nice days throughout the winter. we do also try to get him out for a good exercise run for him and ourselves in the winter if its nice. if your wife is allergic, not sure what to do with that other than reactine and other meds if not too serious. if she reacts heavily then dog is a no go. not sure what to tell you about that other than maybe the pudelpointer may be an option. i think Densa 44 has them. good luck
Old 12-07-2018, 10:13 AM

Default Gsp

I have a gsp and he’s the best dog I’ve ever had. That said, they are really not easy to handle when they are pups. You’ll need a lot of patience. The amount of energy they have is pretty crazy. Mine is 5 years old now and he mellowed quiet a bit. He doesn’t need as much exercise as he used to. They are very smart, sometimes, too smart for their own good. They are great with kids, they like to please and love to hunt. They’re not good with cold weather though, -15 and they freeze. They shed a lot, if your wife is allergic, I would recommend to get a wired hair pointer. I hope that help you a bit.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter_spec View Post
I have a gsp and he’s the best dog I’ve ever had. That said, they are really not easy to handle when they are pups. You’ll need a lot of patience. The amount of energy they have is pretty crazy. Mine is 5 years old now and he mellowed quiet a bit. He doesn’t need as much exercise as he used to. They are very smart, sometimes, too smart for their own good. They are great with kids, they like to please and love to hunt. They’re not good with cold weather though, -15 and they freeze. They shed a lot, if your wife is allergic, I would recommend to get a wired hair pointer. I hope that help you a bit.
I can second this, I’ve got a 7 month old gsp and the amount of energy is insane, that said he picks up on things very quickly given how smart he is and plays with our other dogs and kids very well. Honesty the best dog I’ve ever had but you have to be comitted to the excercise.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:00 PM

Thanks a lot guys. Nice to hear from real world people.

Old 12-07-2018, 03:28 PM

I have been down this road with asthma / allergy sufferers and hunting dogs.

I have had many and GSPs shed like hell. Crazy energy level as has been mentioned.

Pudelpointers and Vizsla are the only two that are advisable if your wife is a for real sufferer.

Anyone who may tell you GWPs don't shed are absolute liars. Not as bad as a GSP, but they do shed for sure.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
I have never owned one but these are the answer to some allergy sufferers;

The Pudelpointer is an interesting hunting dog in that he originated from the Pudel, or German Hunting Poodle, the English Pointer and other Pointing breeds. He is a hypoallergenic breed and a versatile hunter. He is a gentle dog and loves receiving attention and affection. His intelligence makes him easy to train and he excels when positive reinforcement is being used. The Pudelpointer may look awkward but he is a devoted companion and hunter. He does require a lot of exercise and daily exercise is recommended to keep him calm and able to adjust to a family setting rather than being out in the field or water hunting.

Read more at: https://wagwalking.com/breed/pudelpointer
I own a 5yr old male Pudelpointer. The above quote is spot one and should be seriously considered by the OP give his needs.

Mine is a smooth coat which is not the norm for the breed. Most have a longer rough coat. Shedding is almost nil.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:34 PM

I have a gsp the wife has allergy’s she suffers. But he is an awesome dog
Old 12-11-2018, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I have been down this road with asthma / allergy sufferers and hunting dogs.

I have had many and GSPs shed like hell. Crazy energy level as has been mentioned.

Pudelpointers and Vizsla are the only two that are advisable if your wife is a for real sufferer.

Anyone who may tell you GWPs don't shed are absolute liars. Not as bad as a GSP, but they do shed for sure.
I have a Drahthaar, and they most certainly do shed. Nowhere near a much as my friends Lab did, but they do shed. WPGs are supposedly hypoallergenic, and non shedding, but I don't have one, and can't confirm that. Temperament wise, bloodlines are the key factor, my dog is full of energy in the field, but very calm in the house, yet some GWPs are hyper in the house. The Vislas, GSPs, and GWPs and the similar breeds all require a lot of exercise, a 15 minute walk on a leash isn't enough for them. My dog runs off leash in a field for 45 minutes every day that he isn't hunting, which may also be a factor in him being so common in the house. As for getting two dogs, I would get one and train that dog, before getting a second one, training one at a time is enough for a new handler.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I have a Drahthaar, and they most certainly do shed. Nowhere near a much as my friends Lab did, but they do shed. WPGs are supposedly hypoallergenic, and non shedding, but I don't have one, and can't confirm that. Temperament wise, bloodlines are the key factor, my dog is full of energy in the field, but very calm in the house, yet some GWPs are hyper in the house. The Vislas, GSPs, and GWPs and the similar breeds all require a lot of exercise, a 15 minute walk on a leash isn't enough for them. My dog runs off leash in a field for 45 minutes every day that he isn't hunting, which may also be a factor in him being so common in the house. As for getting two dogs, I would get one and train that dog, before getting a second one, training one at a time is enough for a new handler.
That is an absolutely huge factor I am guessing.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:06 PM

I have owned a few of the breeds mentioned here including the PP. all of them she’d except the PP, so that’s my recommendation.
Assuming all dogs come from hunting lines they’re all pretty much the same disposition and energy. All great family dogs.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. Gusto View Post
I have owned a few of the breeds mentioned here including the PP. all of them she’d except the PP, so that’s my recommendation.
Assuming all dogs come from hunting lines they’re all pretty much the same disposition and energy. All great family dogs.
I would disagree. Bring a shorthair or Pointer into your house for a week, then bring an english setter in your house. HUGE difference in manners AND disposition when that door bell rings or someone tries to come in when they shouldnt (especially with the german breeds). The setter is happy to lay down and be quiet, the other 2 pace.

There is even a large difference inside breeds, american GWP is the xanax version of its German counter part.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:27 AM

I am very allergic to dogs. ive been around both the long & short haired V's and German pointers. both breeds presented me with breathing problems and also gave me hives if the hair touched me and if I came into contact with saliva. then I met a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon. I had absolutely no allergy response from this dog. I was very surprised! anyway, I put my name on a breeders list, received my pup almost a year and a half ago. this guy is an incredible hunter a complete natural pointer and his retrieve is impressive (with very little training I might add), and an even more incredible house pet!

If allergies are a concern, and hunting is a passion I would highly recommend this breed. I never imagined I could own a dog like this and remain healthy.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCub View Post
I own a 5yr old male Pudelpointer. The above quote is spot one and should be seriously considered by the OP give his needs.

Mine is a smooth coat which is not the norm for the breed. Most have a longer rough coat. Shedding is almost nil.

These are pics of your poodle pointer?

Old 12-13-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandlockedIslander View Post
These are pics of your poodle pointer?
Yes, that dog lives here, but he owns me.

If a low shedding dog is a priority, you won't be disappointed with a PP. They are clean dogs, smart, eager to please and good with kids.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCub View Post
Yes, that dog lives here, but he owns me.

If a low shedding dog is a priority, you won't be disappointed with a PP. They are clean dogs, smart, eager to please and good with kids.

Can they hunt waterfowl as well?

Old 12-13-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandlockedIslander View Post
Can they hunt waterfowl as well?

Yes they can. Pudelpointers are excelled swimmers.

Tags
bird dog, dog, viszla