Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-18-2014, 06:51 PM
Banned

4 flips and everything is ready...sweet sauce is yummy....finely chopped onions check....chopped lettuce check...marble cheddar slices check...sirachi sauce check.....willing to wait for the loaf to cool....NOPE.

FTH
Old 01-18-2014, 07:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by From The Hip View Post
Just put my donair loaf in the oven.I opted for elk and used lean ground beef as the elk was farm raised.I followed the recipe to a T and added a bit of meat tenderizer and some chilli flakes as well as a dash of ground cumin.
It was hard going with the potatoe masher and mine gummed up pretty fast so with necessity being the mother of invention I broke out my electric hand mixer and went to town.I did get my hands dirty via squishing and the like and I did the baseball thing as well.First flip is at 5 PM.

FTH
A few flips later and I did not wait for it to cool....added some spicy pepper rings to the onions and lettuce along with a nice zip of sirachi sauce.

Totally AWESOME.....best donair I have ever eaten....not the best vis-a-vis for actual construction but it was my first attempt.

Lots of doniar meat in the fridge as well as all the trimmings.I hope I dont eat my self stupid with these in the next week LOL.

FTH
Old 01-18-2014, 08:19 PM

My friend was telling me about this not even 4 days ago!! glad i found it, happen to have 1 bag of deer left. CHEERS!!!!
Old 01-20-2014, 02:43 AM

I love you.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:14 PM

Yummy!
Old 01-22-2014, 04:49 PM

Made these donairs and the entire family loved them!! Thanks!!
Old 01-24-2014, 04:59 PM

Holy crap I gotta try this!! Thanks to ABTUFF for the recipe, and gitrdun for telling me about it.
My mouth is watering like a savage just reading this thread.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:13 AM

Anybody know how long the sweet and sour sauce will keep in the fridge? I have some from 2 weeks ago and figured I'd see if anyone else has done the finger poke taste test after a couple of weeks. It's like getting your buddy to taste the milk to see if it's sour so you don't have to.
P.S. I learned this from Tom Sawyer!
Old 01-25-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyz View Post
Anybody know how long the sweet and sour sauce will keep in the fridge? I have some from 2 weeks ago and figured I'd see if anyone else has done the finger poke taste test after a couple of weeks. It's like getting your buddy to taste the milk to see if it's sour so you don't have to.
P.S. I learned this from Tom Sawyer!
With that much vinegar and sugar....it will probably outlast most of us.....don't be a wussy use it!

LC
Old 01-25-2014, 05:28 PM

You my friend are a god.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:01 AM

Thanks for this!
Old 01-26-2014, 01:40 PM

Well, last Friday night we made some more. This time it was a double batch. Had them for lunch and supper on Saturday and just finished another donair for lunch today! The rest is vacuum sealed in the freezer but I'm not sure how long it will last in there.

Is there a 12 step program for donair addiction? Should I be worried?
Old 01-26-2014, 10:33 PM

Amazing!

Ya no chance I was going to wait for it to cool! Seemed to cut ok.

End result
Old 01-27-2014, 11:49 AM

Had it last night was amAzing ,thanks for posting it heard there is a shortage of pitas in alberta

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 01-27-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpohlic View Post

Is there a 12 step program for donair addiction? Should I be worried?
Nope but we could start one. You bring the pitas, I got a couple loaves in the freezer.........
Old 01-27-2014, 06:40 PM

Great recipe, used real garlic and reg. grnd beef and moose, awesome!
Old 02-01-2014, 09:53 AM

Making a couple loafs this morning.
My Bradley Racks fit my baking sheet for width so I placed the loaves on the rack and then when it came time to flip them I just placed a spare Bradley Rack on top and inverted it
Easey Peasey Lemon Squeezey

And once it cools- I am going to give it a short cold smoke since it is already racked

Old 02-02-2014, 01:36 PM

Tried this yesterday with elk and it was fantastic!!!! Thanks for the recipe!! Will definitely be more than a once in a while meal!
Old 02-03-2014, 06:54 PM

Wow, made this yesterday and ate today. So ridiculously good! Highly recommend this to all!
Old 02-03-2014, 09:02 PM

Best post ever on the board. Made it on the weekend and turned out fantastic!
Wife commented that our house smelled like a greasy donair shop, mission accomplished!
Old 02-20-2014, 07:04 PM

Damn these are good! Just have to find the perfect pita bread now.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:56 AM

I am going to try this!!
Old 02-23-2014, 01:17 AM

Hey ALBTUFF

Great recipe, finally got the time and gumption to try it myself.

I have something to add as I feel I made a mistake. I used oregano at the 2tsp you specified. I used ground and not whole oregano and thought nothing of it until it was done. The oregano is a tad overpowering so a warning to anyone else using ground oregano I would cut it back to about 1 tsp, 1 1/4 tspish.

I find the sauce a tad thick what would you use to thin it a bit? Anymore vinegar and I would be scared to make sweet & sour sauce. Maybe just milk?

Thanks for sharing by the way, and I hope you posted this in the recipes on the general discussion sticky, so more can experience this.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:52 AM

Made it with elk, simply awesome. Had one for breakfast and plan on eating a few more today. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:15 AM

1 of 3 loaves in the oven as we speak. I have used moose. Smells fantastic. All day in the kitchen for this donair eating dad......lol

Biggmac
Old 03-04-2014, 12:19 PM

Ok a quick question for all those who have gone before me. I asked my wife to pick up some sweetened condensed milk when she went out shopping. She brought back a 300 ml can of low fat Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk. What size can has everyone been using for the OP's sauce recipe and has anyone used low fat?? The loaf is in the oven as I type so I hope I get some responses before it's time to eat! Thanks.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinthedream View Post
Ok a quick question for all those who have gone before me. I asked my wife to pick up some sweetened condensed milk when she went out shopping. She brought back a 300 ml can of low fat Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk. What size can has everyone been using for the OP's sauce recipe and has anyone used low fat?? The loaf is in the oven as I type so I hope I get some responses before it's time to eat! Thanks.
That's the right sized mix as I stated in the op. As far using low fat can't help you there as I never eat/buy low fat anything. If you give it a go make sure to post how it turned out.

I ran out of game meat so tonight I'm going to try beef and chicken. Should be good!!!
Old 03-04-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBTUFF View Post
That's the right sized mix as I stated in the op. As far using low fat can't help you there as I never eat/buy low fat anything. If you give it a go make sure to post how it turned out.

I ran out of game meat so tonight I'm going to try beef and chicken. Should be good!!!
Looked again but did not see the size of can in the OP. Asked my wife and she said 300 mls. was the standard size. I'm going to try using the low fat and if you don't hear back from me it is safe to assume that it turned out ok. Thanks for getting back to me and everyone else who had questions ALBTUFF and thanks for the recipe. Sorry you ran out of game! It's going to be a long 6 months unless you know someone with a freezer full.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:19 PM

Another testament to the greatness of this recipe. For my 29th birthday meal I helped my dad prepare this recipe using ground meat from all the animals I harvested in my 29th year.

We came up with a delicious combo using ground caribou, moose, bison and dall sheep. The bison and sheep had enough fat content that we did not have to mix in beef or pork. I commented how this was likely a world premier using this combo and have to say it was delicious. I coined it the "Quadruple Threat Donair".

It was as good as advertised and the feast was enjoyed by all, including most of my hunting partners and family!

Many thanks to the original poster for this recipe. It is a winner and will be made up again in the not so distant future.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:05 PM

I really have to try this! Thanks for sharing.

I was thinking half lamb/half beef. That's what they serve in Europe mostly. I am not a lamb fan but in donairs... NICE!

I'll report back

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)