Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-18-2018, 02:08 PM

Default Cottontail VS Jackrabbit calls

Have been typically using Jackrabbit in distress with pretty good results. Just curious if anyone has used Cottontail in distress instead with good results?
Old 12-19-2018, 07:20 AM

I use both. If I'm on prairie I use Jack if I'm in low bush where cotton tails are living I use that one.

Bill
Old 01-05-2019, 11:07 AM

Default yote call

I found over the years, calling coyotes has changed.Now A simple female call then 5min wait and baby jack distress.Watch and wait in many cases they come in slow and cautious.Use white camo when snow, white capcover.need a sit down seat so as not to sit on snow or cold ground,Shootin sticks or bi-pod.A white bed sheet to lay the rifle on to better cover ,boots and hide behind, you can put it on fence wire and hide behind.Then yote serenade,yote distress. the secret is not to call too much, and wait and watch, After one half hour move on to new location.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:52 PM

I don’t think it really makes a whole lot of difference?
I think cadence and putting some emotion into our calling is more important then what some mass manufacturer of commercial calls slaps on it for a label.
I have somewhere around 20 lung powered hand calls,around 50/50 between commercial and custom made calls
,closed reeds/open reeds/cowhorn howlers/metal reeds/double reeds etc...and I’ve used them all successfully at one time or another over the last 30 years,some more then others as I tend to have a few favourite/go-to calls that I blow with confidence.....and just recently bought my first ever e-caller,Primos Dogg Catcher....mostly cuz I really liked the coyote serenade,but I found the baby jack sounds closest to any authentic snowshoe hares that I’ve heard whining in real life.
I would say if you are hunting the prairies and your jackrabbit call gives you the most confidence,then giver’......but jack or cottontail or snowshoe or wutever label some factory wants to put on it,I don’t think it really matters,coyotes hear an animal in distress,the aren’t that picky about what species produces their next meal imho.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:00 PM

That said^^...again,just go with what gives YOU confidence,and if you are hunting heavily pressured Prairie yotes where they are used to killing jacks,then maybe you are more confident with jack sounds vs cottontail,as there is a distinct difference,jacks are much bigger animals then CTs and therefore louder and have that raspier voice......but I grew up in NB where we only have snowshoe hares,no jacks nor CTs,and I’ve killed yotes with all 3 calls,in fact,mostly jack voiced calls as they tend to be be louder and give me more confidence to reach out and call distant dogs/cover more ground per set/within earshot being as where we don’t have nearly the coyote population in NB as here in the west.
ie;if I go 1 for 10 on stands in NB I am doing really well imho and I’ve had many streaks over the years back east where I’ve gone 0 for 20 and more.
I consider 1 for 10 pretty poor to below average in most places I’ve hunted in Alberta.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:15 PM

ive found that snowshoe hare works the best for me.I hunt the Camrose-Wetaskiwin area.I have had success with the jackrabbit distress calls but hardly nothing with the cottontail for the simple reason that we do not have any of those critters out this way.In southern Sask I have family where the Primos third degree hand call cottontail distress works unreal.I think it all depends what area of the Province you live.Sometimes not a darn thing works!As long as your getting out there and enjoying the outdoors.