Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-11-2018, 08:31 AM

I just had an idea.
How about we post pics of our worst gout flares?

Like a wall of fame.

Bragging rights.
Give me a few days to over indulge and I will see what I can do
Old 12-11-2018, 09:24 AM

Default Gout sucks

Lots of water everyday helps. If I start getting dehydrated I will have a flare up. For me I have found my biggest triggers to be canned beans, peanut butter and beer. For those that have not had it you are lucky. I had leg amputated and had more broken bones and burns than most people and I can tell you a gout attack is more painful than anything else I have had happen to me.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:26 PM

I use these https://www.getwellnatural.com/gout-well.aspx, although after taking the 3 pills twice daily for 4 weeks I cut down to 3 pills once daily.

Then if I feel an attack starting out: cut the alcohol, drink a bunch of water, go back to 3 pills twice a day and it clears up in 3 days usually with nothing worse than a sore ankle.

Before that I could barely walk with an attack, taking ibuprofen regularly through the day and couldn't sleep for a day or two because the throbbing pain was too distracting. That constant pain is by far the worst I've had. Made me want to put my head through a wall.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:36 PM

45 years old here. Use to have a gout attack maybe once a year. I have had an attack about every two weeks now since July. A couple weeks ago I couldn’t walk to the front of my truck from the drivers seat. It took me 45 minutes to walk into the hospital from 50 yards away where I parked. I have cut out all alcohol and red meats. I was still getting it. I thought for a bit it was orange juice and maderin oranges that were triggering it but still unsure as I have cut all that out and I am having a mild flare up today. My urate levels are in range. I am on allopurinal.

There is also pseudo gout. It is caused by different things. Under active thyroid, over active para thyroid, magnesium imbalance. Last time at the hospital they stuck a big needle in the affected join to try to draw fluid to look at the crystals because they are different than real gout. They couldn’t get any fluid out.

I am at a loss of what is causing it.

PCFGA on Facebook
Old 12-11-2018, 11:16 PM

I read these threads all the time.
I had it REAL BAD about 10 or 12 years ago. Lasted about 5 years. Worst was being on crutches for a while. Only pain I ever had worse was blowing 3 discs.

My gout was so bad though , I wanted to shoot my foot off. Really.
I quit drinking alcohol completely 9 years ago and never had it since.
That's not why I quit drinking, just saying that's what happened to me.

BTW, don't take colchisine. It's friggin' poison.
Here's a laugh:
Did read that getting a Bee to sting your swollen foot gets rid of the pain.
So here I was hobbling around in the garden once with a plastic bag. My plan was to bag a bee , put foot in bag , and pizz him off. Couldn't find a bee when I needed one.
I got a lot of stories about the suffering and actual humiliation I went through with that damn disease , but I'll spare you. I definately empathize with people who suffer from it.

Last edited by Hiwa; 12-11-2018 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:41 PM
Banned

How does gout come on? Do you immediately get intense pain and you know that you have it or can it come on and gradually get worse? The reason that I ask is that off and on for 2 or 3 years now I get a pain in the knuckle of my right big toe for no apparent reason. It’s not devastating or anything but it’s a sharp pain that I can’t ignore. Is that how it starts and progressively gets worse?

60 years old and I drink beer and eat whatever I want.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:16 AM

What has been the under lying thing you have read, take what ever, but drink lots of water. The way I had it explained to me was the sugar that you ingest, (red meats ect) harden in the joints and sit there, and then you drink alcohol which triggers the sugar and you have gout. You can get it in any joint in your body. The reason it is the feet, more then not, is because the blood flows to the feet being the lowest point in your body and fills the cavity with sugar. The alcohol then triggers the cavity into erupting and you have gout. The consumption of water triggers the gout into thinking that not enough alcohol has been drunk and therefore everything is cool. I may have made up some of it, but you get the drift. Wish I could learn to spell!
Old 12-12-2018, 08:27 AM

It's the Uric Acid which you have too much of , from eating "rich" foods and alcohol. It used to be called " The disease of kings".
My Doc told me that when uric acid crystals are viewed under a microscope , they look like shards of broken glass. That's what settles in the joints.
And Yes, they tend to settle in the foot or big toe , but not always.

My gout came on gradually, sometimes within a few hours. I always kept a walking cane in the truck just in case.

My Doc also told me then that he did not have an overweight patient that had gout.

It's really fun ( NOT!) when you get it in both feet at the same time.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:47 AM

Allopurinol 200mg once a day I have had it for 30 year’s started getting it couple times a month went on one a day haven’t had it in 7 years and I love my beer an steaks you have to have no gout at all to start the pills if you have even a little in your system an take the Allopurinol you will get the worst gout of your life I know I done it it’s not fun hope this helps just my experience good luck
Old 12-13-2018, 04:06 PM

I guess Im lucky so far, Last year I had a a problem with my left foot, felt like a sliver was in my foot, had the wife look and notion she could see, off to the hospital, got in to see the doc, he listened to me and said you have gout, gave a a prescription took one pill pain went away, now no other flare ups in the last 1.5 years, still have the prescription just waiting for the next flare up.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:41 PM

Default Hydrate

Make sure you drink lots of water every day! Keeping hydrated will help. Also, watch what you eat. Everyone has different trigger foods.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
So I’m spending my weekend trying to deal with the crippling pain caused by chronic gout that I have been fighting for the last two months or so.
I’ve been to a rheumatologist and thought I was getting it under control with pills. Of course the pills upset my guts terribly. 🙄

Anyone else live with this curse?

I’d love to hear some real world solutions.

If you’ve never had it, you have no idea how debilitating it really can be.

I hope you will find more answers here. Get well bro
Old 12-17-2018, 05:55 PM

I'm on 300 Mg of Allopurinol a day and taking Indomethacin for flareups but still having all kinds of trouble, had it in the ankles and heels including both feet at the same time!

Went to ER twice, they never thought it was gout, was told Plantar Factitious, go see the GP. The GP told me nope, that's Galloping Rheumatoid Arthritis you have to see a Rheumatologist. Rhuematologist wanted blood work and x-rays, said the Uratic Acid level was high but kidney function was perfect, he said it's genetic and diet likely wouldn't have a lot of effect.
I've had it at times for a moth straight.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:32 PM

i used to have flare ups of gout a few years back. Very painful. Discovered it was caused by one of my blood pressure pills. Changed meds and it went away.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
How does gout come on? Do you immediately get intense pain and you know that you have it or can it come on and gradually get worse? The reason that I ask is that off and on for 2 or 3 years now I get a pain in the knuckle of my right big toe for no apparent reason. It’s not devastating or anything but it’s a sharp pain that I can’t ignore. Is that how it starts and progressively gets worse?

60 years old and I drink beer and eat whatever I want.
Usually you wake up in the middle of the night in agony, even the weight of the blanket is too much to bear.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Usually you wake up in the middle of the night in agony, even the weight of the blanket is too much to bear.
Thanks. Good, That hasn’t happened so I guess that I just get a pain in the knuckle of the big toe for some reason.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Thanks. Good, That hasn’t happened so I guess that I just get a pain in the knuckle of the big toe for some reason.
You are probably not out of the woods yet.
Gout is a Form of arthritis.
Each episode can do more damage and is progressive in Tophi formation

First stage may not present significant symptoms.
Enjoy the ride.