Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-14-2018, 06:12 PM

Default 212 elk

Pic of the elusive 212 elk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 111420181890.jpg (15.9 KB, 785 views)
Old 12-14-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overhere View Post
Pic of the elusive 212 elk
Finding them is not the hard part in 212
Old 12-14-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
Finding them is not the hard part in 212
The access is the key although it kinda of is on all or AB private land zones...
Old 12-14-2018, 07:00 PM

Not sure I'd ever use the word 'elusive' when talking about 212 elk....lol

Tasty though!!! Thats for darn sure....
Old 12-14-2018, 09:14 PM

Default Elk

By the look of the fencing, thats a game farm.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:27 AM

A lot easier to find.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:14 AM

Question

I noticed in the proposed changes for next year in the hunting regs they mentioned combining the 212 elk draw with the general cow elk draw...any idea why? Think it will actually happen?
Old 12-15-2018, 07:33 PM

Maybe to simplify the draws and to drop the hunters. Right now too many smoke pole guys and not enough permission available. Still think will be primitive weapon only, just a regular antler less tag.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
Maybe to simplify the draws and to drop the hunters. Right now too many smoke pole guys and not enough permission available. Still think will be primitive weapon only, just a regular antler less tag.
I’d say that you hit it right on the nose, we used to have a quarter in 212 that the elk hit and still do very regularly to raid hay in the late season, we one year had 22 hunters ask permission the same day in January when a large herd bedded down in plain sight for the day, we had to say no after the first couple for safety reasons but until more people start allowing access there are just too many people with smoke poles out there.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:08 PM

When i did the primitive weapon season I met many landowners that were pro hunting to reduce numbers, but were just so harassed they started saying no as a standard answer in hopes the hunters would never come back. I feel for those guys down there. How do you decide who goes on, and try to keep it so it still is hunting, and not a cull of 20 guys shooting at elk in the middle of a 1/4 section.

Not sure what the answer is.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
I noticed in the proposed changes for next year in the hunting regs they mentioned combining the 212 elk draw with the general cow elk draw...any idea why? Think it will actually happen?
Just as a guess it should eliminate one extra draw code and stats to maintain. May also get guys who have invested priorities here and maybe arent serious about hunting here now due to access issues, may have them burn their points somewhere else. Start using up a bunch of high priority guys. While Im sure these are not the driving reasons, but rather a guess as this would be a byproduct.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:17 PM

All I k ow is it’s a good hunt if a feller can get permission. We have the draw this year and have a few areas, hopefully we can get more permission tomorrow.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
Just as a guess it should eliminate one extra draw code and stats to maintain. May also get guys who have invested priorities here and maybe arent serious about hunting here now due to access issues, may have them burn their points somewhere else. Start using up a bunch of high priority guys. While Im sure these are not the driving reasons, but rather a guess as this would be a byproduct.
I was told (I don’t know if it’s true) that only half of the people the draw the 212 tag actually purchase the tag. The thought was that anti hunting landowners were in the draws. Seemed a little far fetched but....
There are some terrific landowners there who understand the need for this hunt (cull) but the elk also get pretty conditioned to knowing where they are safe. I found it very frustrating when I was there to just watch a bunch of elk everyday and hope they cross a fence line. It wasn’t the experience I was hoping for that’s for sure. For me, Suffield and some other wmu’s are a much better late season elk cull option.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:08 PM

Not a game farm at all i had the chance for late season deer and these were on the land . Seen Guys were scoping them out but couldnt do a thing. Too bad i didn have a draw ..
Old 12-15-2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
When i did the primitive weapon season I met many landowners that were pro hunting to reduce numbers, but were just so harassed they started saying no as a standard answer in hopes the hunters would never come back. I feel for those guys down there. How do you decide who goes on, and try to keep it so it still is hunting, and not a cull of 20 guys shooting at elk in the middle of a 1/4 section.

Not sure what the answer is.
Usually we give permission to people who ask early and politely and limit it to one group a day, I keep a little agenda of who is hunting when and that usually is fine.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
I was told (I don’t know if it’s true) that only half of the people the draw the 212 tag actually purchase the tag. The thought was that anti hunting landowners were in the draws. Seemed a little far fetched but....
Without a doubt there are HUNDREDS of anti hunters in Alberta that have win cards who get drawn for big game licences and don’t use the tags(obviously) and let alone purchase them....

My dad got drawn for mule deer buck in a wmu close to Calgary this year where they gave out hundreds of mule deer tags and in the opening 4 days there was no one and I mean NO one there except my dad and another guy who shot a mule deer doe...we narrowed it down to being close to Calgary and anti’s burning the tags...on that note it was an awesome hunt with no one else around however sad to think that instead of getting drawn every 6 years it should be more like 4 years...without a Doubt!
Old 12-16-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Without a doubt there are HUNDREDS of anti hunters in Alberta that have win cards who get drawn for big game licences and don’t use the tags(obviously) and let alone purchase them....

My dad got drawn for mule deer buck in a wmu close to Calgary this year where they gave out hundreds of mule deer tags and in the opening 4 days there was no one and I mean NO one there except my dad and another guy who shot a mule deer doe...we narrowed it down to being close to Calgary and anti’s burning the tags...on that note it was an awesome hunt with no one else around however sad to think that instead of getting drawn every 6 years it should be more like 4 years...without a Doubt!
I think that if your drawn for a draw they should autimaticly charge you right away for tag and then you just go pickup your tag from vendor ,don't know if this would change anything with these kinda people
Old 12-16-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAT1 View Post
I think that if your drawn for a draw they should autimaticly charge you right away for tag and then you just go pickup your tag from vendor ,don't know if this would change anything with these kinda people
I totally agree, although there has been one draw I didn’t follow through with due to life circumstances. I wonder how many draw tags aren’t purchased on a yearly basis? Anyway the anti hunters can go ahead and pay for the draw, it really enhances the experiences of the other hunters when there are fewer afield.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:25 AM

I have the January tag so the smoke pole and I will be out doing the rounds. Have knocked on some doors and sent off some emails, but a lot more no's then yes's for access. Hoping for more snow and more cold to get them herded up, but based on that photo, they are already there.
Its tough applying in June for a January tag. Think some folks put in, but then fill their tags in the general season and motivation wanes on a mid week hunt when it is - a lot. 2-3 years to draw so dont think it is anti-hunters just burning points. Just a tough hunt for gaining permission.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:

Pure speculation.

Knowing your Dad, I expect he got a whopper.