Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-20-2022, 10:17 AM

Angry New Vehicle Rip-Offs

So my p/up was stolen.It was replaced with a new one.Partly because my insurance coverage,said full replacement.If less than a year old.So my bitch is.Directed in my case at GM.You see my old truck had all the working gadgets,htd.mirror,seats etc.This truck 2022,has all of the bells,but no chips..I am not alone in this ,as more people are paying for trucks /cars.That arenot fully equipped ,with these accessories.Paid for,at contract signing.
So New vechiles 2023 are coming out with,this scam also.Especially in Canada,the US is getting new chips,for2023 vechiles .Not Canada

Last edited by roper1; 10-21-2022 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-20-2022, 10:33 AM

R they putting in the chips later?
Old 10-20-2022, 10:37 AM

If only we would learn from having these vulnerabilities in the supply chain...
Old 10-21-2022, 10:28 AM

It's not a "scam", it's a supply issue.

Otoh, they could just good the truck in storage for years til the chip is available. That makes alot more sense..��

Yes they are installing them when they receive them.
Old 10-21-2022, 10:43 AM

Sounds like you have some options....

-Don't buy a truck;
-Wait 6 months till it has chips then take delivery; and,
-Buy a different brand.

Nobody is forcing you to buy a truck with all the bells and no whistles and start driving it. They are a US company, so yea, it sucks, but it makes sense to me that they are going to service their home, bazillion dollar market before servicing a foreign, million dollar market.

Last edited by Trochu; 10-21-2022 at 04:27 PM. Reason: spelling....
Old 10-21-2022, 10:55 AM

One of the many reasons I bought a Toyota Tundra earlier this year. It came fully assembled and functional.
Old 10-21-2022, 11:04 AM

I feel a bigger rip off is the price. Considering they sell the Maverick, Ranger, and F150...

MGM Ford, one truck on the lot less than $50k;
Lacombe Ford, one truck on the lot less than $70k;
Rainbow Ford, one truck on the lot less than $65k.
Old 10-21-2022, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I feel a bigger rip off is the price. Considering they sell the Maverick, Ranger, and F150...

Yep.
Old 10-21-2022, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post

Someone I know just priced out a 2023 GMC 2500 Denali diesel... $112,000
Old 10-21-2022, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
I ordered a 22 in October last year. It came in a month over a month ago but I haven’t picked it up yet so the warranty doesn’t kick in. I paid no where near that. They should price it elsewhere. Seems to me that dealer doesn’t care about them as a customer.
Old 10-21-2022, 03:38 PM

My neighbor bought a new Dodge ultimate or something like that top of the line diesel I am told

120,000 and thought he got a great deal. A bud of mine bought a new half ton gas 108,000 traded in his used 2019 dodge diesel loaded with 90K and they gave him 89,000 on trade. Prices are going bonkers. Told him they already had a buyer for his trade.

I traded my 2014 Denali 1/2 on a new Ridgline and they gave me 31K and sold it 3 days later for 35. Nuts. But then I also over paid for the Honda
Old 10-21-2022, 03:41 PM
AO Sponsor

My new Chev 1500 Trailboss Duramax has all the bells and whistles functioning. Got it in July...
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 10-21-2022, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_80 View Post
I ordered a 22 in October last year. It came in a month over a month ago but I haven’t picked it up yet so the warranty doesn’t kick in. I paid no where near that. They should price it elsewhere. Seems to me that dealer doesn’t care about them as a customer.
I don't disagree but base MSRP per GMC Canada's website on a 2023 GMC Denali diesel is $101k and I'm sure whatever they were pricing out had some additional options. I haven't heard many new diesels selling for below MSRP lately either, especially full load units.
Old 10-21-2022, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
So my p/up was stolen.It was replaced with a new one.Partly because my insurance coverage,said full replacement.If less than a year old.So my bitch is.Directed in my case at GM.You see my old truck had all the working gadgets,htd.mirror,seats etc.This truck 2022,has all of the bells,but no chips..I am not alone in this ,as more people are paying for trucks /cars.That arenot fully equipped ,with these accessories.Paid for,at contract signing.
So New vechiles 2023 are coming out with,this scam also.Especially in Canada,the US is getting new chips,for2023 vechiles .Not Canada
So why did you take delivery of it? If they didn’t deliver it equipped as required in the contract…

They have been missing chips for a long time now, most people are getting a discount on the price to take it as is, or some kind of written promise to install later (to me that seems highly unlikely but whatever).

I’m the opposite, I wish they built a truck with no damn gadgets and no ecobama mode that wrecks stuff. Just a big V8 with a solid transmission and no chineseium parts. I’d even pay these insane prices for something that works and stays working
Old 10-21-2022, 09:43 PM

One wonders why trucks are so pricey

I bought a new 2016 2500HD Duramax Diesel Danalie in 2016 paid
$69,500 got a dealer appraisal for $68,00o and because its low K's estimated a private sale would bring $75,000
sorry not for sale but crazy
Old 10-21-2022, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
One of the many reasons I bought a Toyota Tundra earlier this year. It came fully assembled and functional.
A friend ordered a Tundra in March, delivery date estimated to be September. In September, they told him they had no idea when it would be built, but they had someone walk away on one that actually is scheduled. His order is now changed to the scheduled truck, and delivery date estimated to be March.
Old 10-22-2022, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordfishing View Post
One wonders why trucks are so pricey

I bought a new 2016 2500HD Duramax Diesel Danalie in 2016 paid
$69,500 got a dealer appraisal for $68,00o and because its low K's estimated a private sale would bring $75,000
sorry not for sale but crazy
Two things: exchange rate - used ones are going south of the border and making 30-40% more

Supply and demand - supply shortages on everything since Covid. The demand is from the American market, and there’s enough of them that can throw money around to jack the prices on anything. We get screwed by being connected to their market.
Old 10-22-2022, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
If only we would learn from having these vulnerabilities in the supply chain...
Wasn’t there a guy in Washington that said that a few years ago?
Old 10-22-2022, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
A friend ordered a Tundra in March, delivery date estimated to be September. In September, they told him they had no idea when it would be built, but they had someone walk away on one that actually is scheduled. His order is now changed to the scheduled truck, and delivery date estimated to be March.
In Sept or October they started building the 2023 trucks. The changeover will cause delays. It sucks itnis what it is. At least he'll get a completely working truck. I put my deposit down in Februrary, picked it up at the end of July.
Old 10-22-2022, 05:24 PM

Quote:
In Sept or October they started building the 2023 trucks. The changeover will cause delays. It sucks itnis what it is. At least he'll get a completely working truck. I put my deposit down in Februrary, picked it up at the end of July.
Better to wait, than to get one of the bad waste gates. He was told that was a factor in the delay.

https://www.torquenews.com/17612/tun...-toyota-tundra
Old 10-22-2022, 07:06 PM

Could get worse, not better if the political conflict between China and Taiwan heats up, which makes one wonder why you would concentrate production of such a strategic item in one place, particularly a potential conflict zone ?

https://www.vox.com/recode/2022/9/28...aiwan-conflict

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 10-22-2022, 07:20 PM

New vehicles have always been a rip-off, likely why I've only purchased one new vehicle in my life (in 1989). It's nothing new, they just cost more now. Unless I was running a vehicle through a company or could write-off in another way, I can't understand spending so much on a depreciating asset, this is coming from a guy that loves automobiles.
Old 10-23-2022, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Better to wait, than to get one of the bad waste gates. He was told that was a factor in the delay.

https://www.torquenews.com/17612/tun...-toyota-tundra
They did have an issue with them but I think it's pretty well resolved. I'm pretty involved in the Toyota community and it seems like trucks built after mid May don't have the issue. Mine was built in June and hasn't had a single problem. The Tundras forum has a thread where people are tracking the wastegate issue and there haven't been any newly reported ones in a few months which synchs up with what a Toyota tech friend of mine is seeing in his dealership network.

Another contributing factor in the delay will be the configuration and trim of his truck. Toyota doesn't do orders like others dealers. Ford for example will let you pick and choose options left and right, Toyota doesn't. They build runs of trucks and then they get allocated to the dealership. If your dealer doesn't have your desired truck in their allocation you need to wait until they do, until they do a trade with another dealer to get one for you or find one in allocation at another dealer.

I'm told that Platinum and 1794 trims aren't built as often and a dealer will get fewer of them as compared to SR5 TRD Off Road or Limiteds. Long boxes are another rarer configuraion.

Your friend will get his truck eventually though and it will be worth it. I love mine.
Old 10-23-2022, 09:35 AM

Quote:
They did have an issue with them but I think it's pretty well resolved. I'm pretty involved in the Toyota community and it seems like trucks built after mid May don't have the issue. Mine was built in June and hasn't had a single problem. The Tundras forum has a thread where people are tracking the wastegate issue and there haven't been any newly reported ones in a few months which synchs up with what a Toyota tech friend of mine is seeing in his dealership network.

Another contributing factor in the delay will be the configuration and trim of his truck. Toyota doesn't do orders like others dealers. Ford for example will let you pick and choose options left and right, Toyota doesn't. They build runs of trucks and then they get allocated to the dealership. If your dealer doesn't have your desired truck in their allocation you need to wait until they do, until they do a trade with another dealer to get one for you or find one in allocation at another dealer.

I'm told that Platinum and 1794 trims aren't built as often and a dealer will get fewer of them as compared to SR5 TRD Off Road or Limiteds. Long boxes are another rarer configuraion.

Your friend will get his truck eventually though and it will be worth it. I love mine.
I drove Toyota exclusively for 14 years, and I was happy with them. I only went to Ford , because the new Tundra had already been delayed for a few years, and I had no idea when it would actually be available. I spoke with a friend who runs a dealership, and he told me that they hoped to get a few trucks by the end of 2021, but he expected at least mid 2022, before they became readily available, and quite possibly longer, so I bought my F150 in March of 2021 while there were still factory rebates and dealer incentives available. So far, I am happy with my F150, with around 45k on it. Looking at the available options for the Tundra, I could not have ordered a Limited without a moonroof, so I could not have had the truck that I wanted anyways.
Old 10-23-2022, 09:55 AM

Quote:
I drove Toyota exclusively for 14 years, and I was happy with them. I only went to Ford , because the new Tundra had already been delayed for a few years, and I had no idea when it would actually be available. I spoke with a friend who runs a dealership, and he told me that they hoped to get a few trucks by the end of 2021, but he expected at least mid 2022, before they became readily available, and quite possibly longer, so I bought my F150 in March of 2021 while there were still factory rebates and dealer incentives available. So far, I am happy with my F150, with around 45k on it. Looking at the available options for the Tundra, I could not have ordered a Limited without a moonroof, so I could not have had the truck that I wanted anyways.
I went SR5 TRD Off Road because of the moonroof as well. I also didn't want the big screeen in the dash. I'm a Toyota guy too, but I've owned all the half tons since 2011. I did cross shop the GM pretty hard but to get a full center console and bucket seats I had to option the truck well into the $70K point. The AT4 gave me the best options for my money and I simply wasn't willing to spend that much.

Glad your Ford has been good to you. I was burnt badly by Ford. Between that and the issues I constantly have with the Ford trucks at work, I could never own another one.
Old 10-23-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I went SR5 TRD Off Road because of the moonroof as well. I also didn't want the big screeen in the dash. I'm a Toyota guy too, but I've owned all the half tons since 2011. I did cross shop the GM pretty hard but to get a full center console and bucket seats I had to option the truck well into the $70K point. The AT4 gave me the best options for my money and I simply wasn't willing to spend that much.

Glad your Ford has been good to you. I was burnt badly by Ford. Between that and the issues I constantly have with the Ford trucks at work, I could never own another one.

Once you have the big screen, you may actually appreciate it, especially if you use Android auto. I didn't think that I would use it, as much as I do. I also like leather seats, but even the Limited only looks like leather now. The moon roof is a definite no go for me, after having one suddenly shatter, and I don't need the rattle or the leaks either. I had a lemon Ford in the 90s, and was reluctant to own another one, but right now, the twin turbo V6 engines are by far the superior powerplants, so it came down to Ford or Toyota when I was shopping in 2021.
Old 10-23-2022, 09:54 PM

I really don't understand the "scam" comment. When you buy a GMC they fully disclose that some of the options require a chip that is on backorder. This is global supply chain issue, not some clever Ponzi scheme designed to trick you.

They agree to install that chip when it arrives. If you don't like it, then don't buy it .... move along to another dealer and see what they tell you.

If you bought a new GMC You KNEW this, because you signed the paperwork and were told about it and received a gratuity rebate.

So where's the scam?

That's how it went when I bought my truck in the spring - and can't do much to change reality here and never felt "tricked or scammed" because I was able to listen, and understand why this is happening and what effect this has on me BEFORE I made my INFORMED decision.

Last edited by EZM; 10-23-2022 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-25-2022, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
I know a guy that just dropped $90,000 on a '22 F-150!

It's hopped up with some goodies and is a REAL nice truck but 90K for an F-150? That's insane
Old 10-26-2022, 10:28 PM

Isn't it time to wait on buying a new or used car. Used wholesale prices should come down as credit will be harder to come by.

Some dealers have hardly any cars on lots. Its not just this chip shortage. Dealers don't want to buy at wholesale and then get screwed not getting a good retail price.
Old 10-27-2022, 08:13 AM

Quote:
I drove Toyota exclusively for 14 years, and I was happy with them. I only went to Ford , because the new Tundra had already been delayed for a few years, and I had no idea when it would actually be available.
I hear ya... Plus the new Tundras have a bit too much estrogen in the styling now...
I hear that they have the wastegate issue solved now, but that scared a lot of potential buyers off too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
I know a guy that just dropped $90,000 on a '22 F-150!
I still can't wrap my head around dropping that kind of money on a truck. Definitely wouldn't be taking it out on the back roads, hunting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
Isn't it time to wait on buying a new or used car. Used wholesale prices should come down as credit will be harder to come by.
That's what I've been hearing too; speaking with some dealers, they are cautiously starting to buy used cars again, since the supply is opening up (they get a lot of used vehicles from the rental market, which was pretty much dead for a while).