Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-17-2007, 01:15 PM

Default 22 hornet

thinking of getting a 22 hornet for coyotes this year. if anyone has any advice i'd love to here it. thanks
Old 06-18-2007, 10:19 AM

While there are plenty of higher powered options out there inside the effective range of the round (125-150 depending on bullet) it will work. And not just when conditions are perfect like the 17hmr. I got one last year but I have only gotten one coyote with it @ 80 yards it anchored it soundly.

The biggest problem with the hornet is the stubby bullets it is typically loaded with. they have such low BC's they bleed off speed real fast. Combine that with the price of factory ammo and you will want to reload if you already don't.

I ended up converting mine to k-hornet to get more speed with a 50 gr bullet on paper I get a hair over 2800 fps and since the bc is way better it should reach out to 200 yards or so (I have only shot gophers with that load as of yet).

In this years Hodgdon yearly data they added lil'gun to there loading of 50 grain bullets even with the regular hornet you can still get 2700(the data I had before showed a high of 2400), I probably would not have done the conversion had I known that.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:50 PM

Have a look at a .223, cheaper more power, if you reload you can load them down to Hornet velocities with Bluedot for cheap. www.jamescalhoon.com look under "Informative articles" "To Bee or not..." goes into detail on reduced loads. I was looking at a Hornet either a Ruger or a CZ and ended up with a Savge 12 FV in .223 for less money, am happy with it.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:45 AM

Yea I have tried to bluedot loads as well, two draw backs 1 is general safety the line between safe and grenade is thin, the makers of bluedot don't even acknowleage that you can do it let alone publish data, they work but know that you are using unpublished/tested data, also you can't fit 50 rounds of 223 in your jeans pocket if you going for a quick gopher walk.

As for cost even with bluedot loads to get hornet speeds you will still be using 11 or 12 grains and the a typical max load for a hornet using typical powders is no more than 13 so the cost is basically the same and you get to use published data.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:36 PM

By cost, I meant the Savage rifle was quite a bit cheaper than the Ruger or CZ. Savage makes the 340 in 22 Hornet but is too flimsy to upgrade to K-hornet. The Data on calhoon's website is well tested and works well for me and the gophers I meet, the brass lasts for more reloads than std hornet and the gun is more versatile as it can shoot full house loads as well. You are right about size, my original plan was to get a .19 Calhoon which is a necked down K-hornet, built well by James and man do they sizzle. I only wanted one centre fire varmint gun so I went with the .223 (cheapskate I know).
Old 06-19-2007, 05:08 PM

While it is in common use I know of no pressure barrel tested loads so it is not really tested, all that is out there is "it didn't blow up my gun".

That is one question we should have asked was is this centerfire varmint gun #2 or higher. As a primary no 204 ruger is my first choise. But as a second varmint gun I see no reason to buy a gun to only run downloads through it, You know the right hammer for the right nail sort of thing.

My handi was not very expensive and is reasonably accurate.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
While it is in common use I know of no pressure barrel tested loads so it is not really tested, all that is out there is "it didn't blow up my gun".

That is one question we should have asked was is this centerfire varmint gun #2 or higher. As a primary no 204 ruger is my first choise. But as a second varmint gun I see no reason to buy a gun to only run downloads through it, You know the right hammer for the right nail sort of thing.

My handi was not very expensive and is reasonably accurate.
The light loads are for gophers in acreage country, regular loads for 'yotes. Easy extraction, no hi pressure signs on the primers etc. works for me. Different strokes I guess and sorry for the hijack Archer.