Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-27-2019, 11:50 PM

Default 30 Nosler vs 300 PRC

So why all the LOVE for the 300 PRC when the 30 Nosler has being here for years ? RJ
Old 06-28-2019, 02:14 AM

The 300 win has been around since 1963,lots stuff has come out since then,but the 300 win is still made by many companies and is still the most popular 30 cal.

The 300 prc is very close to the 300 weatherby and it came out in 1944,different brass and bullet selection have improved a lot since 1944.Old Roy was doing very well in his hay day,but the 300 win took over it by over 50 percent in no time.The 300 weatherby is and was the most popular cartridge weatherby ever made.I did own a 300 weatherby in an accumark and it shot very well,but I just found it to heavy for all day walking.I was hucken some good size bullets at 3400 fps a long time ago.

The 30 nosler has only been out since 2016 so to me it's still a very new cartridge along with the 300 rum which doesn't seem that old came out in 1999 and I bought 2 in different makes back then.I never tried the 30 nosler yet and doubt I ever will.

But the one which is still the most popular for hunting and I am not sure about long range,but with new bullets and high b.c in them it will be a long time before anything out markets the 300 win for 30 cals.180 and 200 grn accubond's are one of my favorites in 30 cal,and back in the day and even today the partition still shines very well.

If anything many older war horses are tuning down to smaller stuff,but not the long range guys,i think there's a market for the pcr and the 30 nolser in that area.
Like any cartridge to me the most important part is how well made the rifle is ,like the Christensen Arms ridgeline or there first rogue 15 are very nice rifles to handle along with the classic model I had in 300 win was very accurate.

The new Christensen Traverse model has got my eye peaking out at it,but in 7mm Rm would be my flavor in that rifle and if they do make one in 6.5 pcr I would look very hard at that.

A bit off topic ,but I don't know anyone that owns either the pcr or 30 nosler,so I just went back to the old cartridges who have done well.

There's like 7 or 8 new loads being developed for the 6.5 pcr and that may take a grip on many cartridges in a hurry.THe 6.5 creed hit home,but the 6.5 pcr will out shine it in the long run.6.5 has a mean fever on in the public.

Plus there's better built rifles then a Christensen,but still a very nice rifle in many a gun owners eye.

And if all fails there's nothing wrong with a 308 win,i have one left over and it isn't going no where.If you think a 308 win isn't a good hunting cartridge your missing out.

Every one be safe on the long weekend,if you like to have few drinks don't drive.
Hire someone for the weekend ,it will be the best cash you ever spent wisely.
Hope every one has a good time and maybe even Kurt505 may snag the odd fish,if he is lucky.Cheers Kurt.He may have a better chance with his new reel he just bought.

Cheers and best of health to all on AO.

JD

Last edited by JD848; 06-28-2019 at 02:31 AM.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:50 PM

Default 30 Nosler vs 300 PRC

Likely one of the better comparison of calibers. The barrel on my RUM is just about done and have all the parts ready for a PRC.

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor...he-rest/330587

I really wanted to build a Norma but the bolt face issue got in the way.

I think it really depends on what and how a person is doing with the rifle and how well the shooter can run the gun. Some of the benefits of these high B.C. bullets and extra velocity really only come into play over 1000 yards, and although the number of people shooting this far is increasing it’s still not most shooters.

Are you asking because your wondering what to build ????
Old 06-30-2019, 02:00 PM

Default This is a great listen

This is a podcast with the owner and founder of GunWerks and a ballitics expert from Hornady talking about some of the 300 magnums.

https://youtu.be/HZ0yw-Q3atI

I thought it was a great listen and was very techinical