Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-18-2008, 03:32 PM

Default 8mm mauser question

A family member gave me an old 8mm mauser that has been sporterized. The rifle has been reblued, the iron sights replaced and the original stock has been cut down. All the numbers match and the rifle is dated 1944. I was thinking of getting the barrel cut down and adding a scout style of scope. Has anybody done this before? Any recomendations of a gunsmith in the Edmonton area to do the work. Also I do not handload but it looks like Hornady makes a full power load. Any suggestions and advice about this caliber and rifle is appreciated.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:18 AM

If the barrel is cut down, the groupings will likely be wild. They were and still are nice rifles. A new stock and blueing will give you a great all round gun.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
If the barrel is cut down, the groupings will likely be wild. They were and still are nice rifles. A new stock and blueing will give you a great all round gun.
Why would the grouping be wild?
If the barrel was cut down and recrowned properly there is no reason it should not shoot just fine, assuming the bore is ok. I cut 1 down for my daughter as a 1st rifle to 20" , it shoots VERY well.

Sorry Koschm, I am not into scout rifles, so can not offer any help there, I know it has been done however.

Extreme Accuracy at Extreme Long Range
Old 10-19-2008, 03:13 PM

I have yet to encounter a good shooter among older military models that have been cut down. I have handled several of the old German Mausers and a few dozen Enfields all of which had the barrels chopped. They were not impressive shooters.

One of these rifles was an Enfield that I had fired prior to the owner having the barrel cut down. Shot well prior to cutting but was a poor performer after surgery.

Just an observation. I am a shooter, not a smith.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
I have yet to encounter a good shooter among older military models that have been cut down. I have handled several of the old German Mausers and a few dozen Enfields all of which had the barrels chopped. They were not impressive shooters.

One of these rifles was an Enfield that I had fired prior to the owner having the barrel cut down. Shot well prior to cutting but was a poor performer after surgery.

Just an observation. I am a shooter, not a smith.
The great part of these forums is that we care all share experiences, and many of us have differing experiences.
I have extremely little experience with Enfields, so don't comment on what does or doesn't work with them.
Mausers I have built many rifles on and have had great results.
Cutting down any rifle barrel can result in a change in harmonics, making them shoot poorly afterwards, crowning is probably where I see the most issues. Under normal circumstances, though a properly cut and crowned barrel "should" shoot just as well after surgery.
I have seen some examples of barrel cutdowns , that "poorly done" is being very kind to describe. Like in any service, there are good craftsmen and there are hacks.

Extreme Accuracy at Extreme Long Range