Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-17-2008, 04:35 PM

Default McMillan vs Bell & Carlson stocks?

I am going to be ordering a new stock for a rifle that I am waiting for..... whenever it decides to show up! Looking at going with McMillan or Bell and Carlson, but really have no experience with either one. Looking for some feedback on pros and cons as I'm sure a few of you out there use them. The McMillan is a little pricier, any particular advantage to it?
The stock will be for a Browning A-Bolt so either the B&C Browning Medalist stock or the McMillan Browning Hunter stock. Appreciate any info.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:57 PM

The McMillan is laid fiberglass cloth and rope, the Bell and Carlson is chopped fiberglass. McMillan delivers more options, is stiffer, can be configured to almost any whim, and is lifetime guaranteed. No comparison IMO. McMillan for me. I won't own anything else and have had B&C, HS, and McMillan.

What rifle are you ordering for?
Old 10-17-2008, 07:13 PM

Thanks Chuck. It is going on a Stainless A-Bolt in 7mm WSM, nothing real fancy or exotic. I was originally going to get it in the Mountain Ti, but had some issues with the 1 that I found in Canada, so this was my next option. Start with a good stock on her and then see how she shoots and go from there. This is planned to be my "go to rifle", so willing to put a little money in to make sure she's a shooter!
Why the 7mm WSM..... honestly no reason other than I have had a real hankerin for the caliber since I bought my first one in a Winchester. The fact that so many people are quick to count it out as a viable selection kind of turns me onto it aswell!
I think I prefer the raised check piece on the McMillan opposed to the straight comb cheek piece like the B&C. So glad it sounds like that may be the better one of them anyways. Was just trying to get a feel out there if it was worth the extra $ to get that comparing the quality between the 2. Now if a guy could just get some good pictures of the finished colors......think I would be leaning towards the olive green.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:16 PM

Here is mine in their Olive. My favorite of their colours.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:29 PM

I have had, and like both. The Mcmillan is probably one of the very best fiberglass stocks made, and if money is no concern it is the way to go. However, the Bell & Carlson medalists have a full length aluminum bedding block, your length of pull, choice of many colors/camo patterns. They have/are being used on multiple brands/models of factory rifles and seem to stand up.

*oh yeah, and from their website, "All Bell and Carlson stocks have a limited lifetime warranty against defects in materials and workmanship."

If you decide on a Mcmillan, talk to ATR here on this site, he can hook you up.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:42 PM

That looks pretty sharp with the olive/stainless, thanks again Chuck!

I can't say money isn't a issue, haha, but not something that I need this week either....still waiting for the rifle to arrive! But for the couple hundred difference, I guess a guy might aswell get the best he can within reason. I will pm ATR and see what I am looking at for one, appreciate the contact name.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:26 AM

Go McMillan if you don't mind the cost or the need for custom inletting. The H-S Precision are excellent for instant, drop in installation. I now have 2 H-S Pro-Series stocks and am planning on 2 others in the immediate future.

The new Bell & Carlson stocks are junk compared to their products from a few years ago. Their Medalists stocks were great until about 5 years ago. I have two of the newer stocks and have found both to be very poor when compared to the McMillan and H-S. I had to replace both, one with an H-S, the other with a McM.

My Benchrest style B&C, with full length bedding block has actually twisted and warped. The lightweight medalist is also extremely flexible and is going to the junk pile. My only other experience with B&C was from a Remington Alaskan Ti that I purchased this past June. Big piece of crap. The stock had a spiral twist that put pressure on the barrel the full length of the stock. I sent this rifle back.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:32 PM

RBW

I'm surprised to hear that the quality of B&C is that much below, thanks for the heads up. I had a look on HS' site but didn't see a model for Browning. Are the ones you have for a Browning or another rifle?

Do these stocks, either HS / McMillan, come basically ready to put on, or is there anything that needs to be done? I kind of understood that they were pretty much a drop in product? Is it best to use a 'smith to do this to make sure there are no spacing issues and the screws are tightened correctly?
Old 10-18-2008, 12:37 PM

Go McMillan if you want very high quality. They are amazing stocks and you wont be dissapointed. Its a no-brainer for me.

They come inletted perfectly and can be swapped out with zero issues. I had mine bedded to see if it would increase accuracy, but shot it for a year before doing so. They are made exceptionally well and fit very easily with zero problems....
Old 10-19-2008, 06:53 AM

I think we have a pattern here.....I have owned two McMillan's and have owned Wildcat (you really need to work on a more ergonomic pattern), Brown's, Bansner's and the Bell and Carlson. Mac's go hands down with the Bansner a close second. If you want a very good stock you will go for the EDGE but McSwirly's are cool. I love my HTG EDGE, as it is light and stiff, yet very ergonomic.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:52 AM
Banned

I have/have had a lot of synthetic stocks and now have Brown's, Rimrocks, both Pacific and Borden's, and Micky's.

For pure VALUE, the Borden Rimrocks were by far the best, but, they are no longer offered as blanks and I think Borden is going out of business. Brown makes a very fine stock and always has, but, it takes a fair amount of labour to install them; I prefer them to the Banser's as the pistol grip suits me better.

For you, I would recommend a Micky, I have several models including an Edge Hunter Compact on my spare P-64 Mod. 70 Fwt.-270Win. and they are excellent.

Once you use and compare various synthetic stocks, as with scopes, you soon realize that paying for the better quality one is actually a wise idea.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:23 AM

Here is another Olive McMillan....

Old 10-19-2008, 12:28 PM

Thanks again fellas, appreciate the feedback as it's a fair size purchase really when you compare it to the total cost of the gun. Pictures were great aswell!
Old 10-19-2008, 03:49 PM

Here is another in a McMillan....

Old 10-19-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUM View Post
RBW

I'm surprised to hear that the quality of B&C is that much below, thanks for the heads up. I had a look on HS' site but didn't see a model for Browning. Are the ones you have for a Browning or another rifle?

Do these stocks, either HS / McMillan, come basically ready to put on, or is there anything that needs to be done? I kind of understood that they were pretty much a drop in product? Is it best to use a 'smith to do this to make sure there are no spacing issues and the screws are tightened correctly?
H-S is expanding their product line quickly. Not sure on the Brownings. I have to check my catalogue. H-S are all direct drop in and tighten. So far, am really impressed. I am pulling bench-type groupings out of my 35 Whelen.

Not 100% sure, but I believe that some McMillan's require inletting.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:17 PM

Call HS and ask for a stock inletted for a model 70 action, #2 Pac-Nor with a 3/4 inch shank, and Williams oberndorf bottom metal. I'd love to hear their response. McMillan won't bat an eye.

Yes you can drop into a McMillan, and I'd be way more inclined to bed an HS than a McM.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:17 PM

Default Pepper

Hey all, good thread. I am going a slightly different routre, I am looking for a pepper laminate stock to put on a Parker Hale 972 in 308. I love this rifle, it is the most consistently accurate rifle I have ever owned, and I have owned a few. BUT the stock is butt ugly...I tried Boyd's website, but they don't list for Parker-Hale, but they do list for Mauser---maybe a guy just orders for a Mauser98?? Anyone know of any other laminate stock dealers out there??
Thanks
scoot