Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-15-2008, 01:27 PM
barry01

Default Cleaning rifle barrels

Recently after cleaning my .270 with butchs bore shine, and having the patch come out clean with no blue on it; I looked down the muzzle and I could still see copper on the rifling. I have heard mixed things about butches, some say only keep it in the barrel for 15 minutes max, others say overnight is fine. I was just wondering what the more experinced shooters here think, is the copper that I can see from the muzzle not an issue, or do I need to soak the barrel in a copper solvent for a longer period of time. Can someone maybe recommend a more aggressive approach, but something that won't wreck the barrel.

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2008, 02:37 PM

This is a tough one. I'm no expert, but even the experts vary in opinion. I use that product as well, with no issue, but i also use Gun Juice (Microlon) after i clean. This makes your next cleanings much easier.

With your case, you should have your gunsmith view your barrel with a bore scope and get his opinion. It will cost nothing, or next to nothing. If you don't have time for that, some guys use Barnes CR-10 to get out copper. It is definitely more aggressive than Butch's, so you don't want to use it all the time, but it works! I know a certified Sniper instructor that uses it on his rifle (i've seen it), so i don't think it will wreck anything. He only leaves it wet for maybe 5 minutes at a time or so.

Every barrel seems to have its own personality.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:43 PM

Default cleaning

I have tried Buthches with very poor results, the 2 bore cleaner I like best are Sweets 7.62 or Montana Extreme Bore Cleaner these remove all the copper with very little effort.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:24 PM

Try some Wipe Out foaming brushless bore cleaner.

Although Butchers, Barnes and Sweets are good products, Wipe Out simply surpasses them by such a margin it is ridiculous.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-15-2008, 05:41 PM

I have as yet to see a can of Wipe Out on the shelves at WSS or Russels.......
Old 10-15-2008, 06:28 PM

There are more places than WSS, and Russells.
Try P&D in Edmonton
Also Dudleys Outdoor Escape in Drayton Valley.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-15-2008, 07:41 PM

The presence of copper does not necessarily mean a barrel is fouled.

I use to clean barrels religiously. Now unless accuracy falls off dramatically I don't clean at all.

I could never understand cleaning to bare steel and then running fouling shots through a barrel to get things back up to proven accuracy.

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 10-15-2008 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:09 PM

Chuck is right. Each barrel needs to be fouled to some point to shoot at its best (in most cases). I too have found that overcleaning is much more of an issue in accuracy than undercleaning. Good point. I have shot as many as 150 rounds through my 300 win and did not notice an accuracy drop off. I will not even think about cleaning the barrel unless there is at least 30 rds through it or, i am storing it for months on end without shooting it.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:20 PM
barry01

Thanks for the advice, I just bought a can of Wipe-out from P&D in Edmonton, $19.99

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2008, 05:03 PM

Before shooting some Wipe Out down your barrel, you might want to practice shooting it down something else. Wipe Out is tough on stock finishes, bluing and everything else it gets on. And it does it damn awful best to get on everything in sight...and then some. Proceed with EXTREME CAUTION.

Bobby B.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:11 PM

Good point Bob.
I go from the muzzle end, and always use a bore guide.
An extra large zip lock bag slipped over the butt stock, and covered with a cotton rag saves the wood.

There are no absolutes