Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-20-2019, 05:24 PM
Banned

I got an idea, how about they just make it illegal to kill people with guns??

Problem solved.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Don't snipe at bolt gun owners .Just what do you think the "bolt gun owners can do to change this? These people do not listen to gun owners . we do not have lobby groups with political sway like they do in the U.S. . The people that want to bring in these types of laws are the same people that are okay with the Aga Kahan scandal the SNC scandal the Blackface joke, the Groper pm, the Pm who elbows women and throws a tantrum to get his way.
They will do as they wish if they get elected again and gun owners will not stop them . This country is made up of left wing nut bars to the extent that even our Conservative party would be considered left wing south of the border. Enjoy your guns while you can or bury them for future use but the Libs will do as they have always done. Cater to the GTA, Vancouver and Montreal which for the most part is all they need.
What can they do? The ones who haven't already can get a membership to one of the organizations that are actually trying to fight this. Organizations get stronger with numbers. I know numerous bolt gun only owners who have not joined an organization and some who actually agree with stricter bans on AR type rifles and/or handguns. Every AR-15 or handgun owner I personally know has already joined a lobby group because they're on the front line. I honestly can't think of one AR/handgun owner that I know personally who hasn't but I do know a dozen or more bolt gun only owners who haven't, or won't, join any group because they feel that the laws won't effect them.

I personally don't own or have use for an AR-15 type rifle or handgun but I do know this proposed ban will effect me at some point. At least I can say I joined the fight. My post was to urge other bolt gun only owners, who don't think this will effect them, to join the fight as well.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:10 PM

Its time to leave, Canada is/was a failed social experiment.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:34 PM

I'm one of those bolt gun owners. Looking in my safe, 3 of my center fire rifles are semi automatic, and my 12 gauge is too. Having gone through regular force military training in the 80's, I don't see an auto loader as much different than any other action out there. This doubling down by the current government is troubling to me, but not surprising.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:38 PM
Banned

Grandpappy's sniper bolt action and baby killing break action are next. It's time the fudds fought along side the tactical guys. One just has to look at new zealand to see what's coming.

This announcement was made to take the heat off of the blackface groper but mist media outlets were still talking about blackface.
Old 09-21-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Likely someone who got in trouble for starting a pure politics thread.
Then why worry about them? Seriously, where do the complaints come from? Non members who troll this and other sites looking for something to complain about? If it's mostly sponsors, I get it.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
Then why worry about them? Seriously, where do the complaints come from? Non members who troll this and other sites looking for something to complain about? If it's mostly sponsors, I get it.
Or long time lurkers, low post count members who don’t contribute much to the forum
Old 09-21-2019, 07:50 AM

Edit something something time to fight soon
Old 09-21-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
If people were complaining about this thread I seriously think we should be screening membership! Obviously some members do not belong here.
Wow , no kidding
Old 09-21-2019, 09:46 AM

This should serve as a warning to all firearm owners the Liberal government is trying to remove all firearms by death of a thousand cuts. The hunters in new Zealand were caught off guard when the list of prohibited arms included tube magazine .22's Browning Bars, Win. 100 etc.

The bogey man is real and his name is Justin

Look at this list of prohibited firearms Grampa's Cooey .22 is on the list

gun buy back.pdf
Old 09-21-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
Its time to leave, Canada is/was a failed social experiment.
My feelings exactly, I sure hope every other democratic nation is watching this. I feel that if nothing else, this last term should be an example of exactly how flawed the Liberal ideal is.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianEh View Post
Knee jerk reaction society..

These are the stats.

With a population of 37 million and only 249 deaths a year. That is a percentage of 0.000672%. Which is a probability of roughly 1 in 150,000 people.

The stat but I would like to know, is how many of those or with legally acquired weapons

I wish more people would challenge these notions along these lines. This is really the crux of the problem isn't it? We are giving into fears. Not that we should be complacent about gun violence, but the issue is way overblown, appealing only to emotion. I think some very incisive and unbiased questions along statistical lines at one of those Trudeau townhalls would go a long way to opening up better debate about this issue. Do you ever hear anyone concerned about gun violence retort with a question about how money is being spent in police departments to tackle gang violence and how that is measured and the status of the progress? Does anyone concerned about gun violence ever talk about the suicide rate with guns and how money is being spent to address mental health issues? Take the guns away and neither of those problems go away, they just find different outlets.

Last edited by Erik; 09-21-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:26 AM

Bill Blair speaking about this.
It is quite terrifying.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TFZK1cq6MgM
Old 09-21-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
I wish more people would challenge these notions along these lines. This is really the crux of the problem isn't it? We are giving into fears. Not that we should be complacent about gun violence, but the issue is way overblown, appealing only to emotion. I think some very incisive and unbiased questions along statistical lines at one of those Trudeau townhalls would go a long way to opening up better debate about this issue. Do you ever hear anyone concerned about gun violence retort with a question about how money is being spent in police departments to tackle gang violence and how that is measured and the status of the progress? Does anyone concerned about gun violence ever talk about the suicide rate with guns and how money is being spent to address mental health issues? Take the guns away and neither of those problems go away, they just find different outlets.
I agree whole heartedly Erik. Bickering or screaming about Libs taking away my grandpas cooey doesnt work. Like any good debate you need to be able to present relevent facts at the heart of the issue.

The interesting thing about that stat sheet Erik, It of course doesnt break down of those deaths how many were Gang on Gang violence / random acts of terror / domestic homecides etc. Also of those deaths how many were attributed to leaglly purchased firearms vs those bought on the black market by hoodlums.

I bet if those numbers were broken down further to those catigories, you would find that the number of deaths with legal firearms to random unknown individuals is a small fraction of those deaths. The reality is most situations are where 2 people know each other. Are either mixed up in gang type activity ( likely to be an illegally purchased firearm) , or have had some kind of domestic dispute, which is difficult or impossible to stop.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:39 AM

I agree that it would be nice if the Canadian Gov't collected and presented more detailed statistics on the firearms matter, but I think the current leadership has no motivation to do so because they prefer to lump the larger numbers together to quell fear rather than to actually get to the root of the matter and find the most effective solutions that don't interfere with law-abiding citizens rights.

I prefer a fact based debate to screaming hysteria any day of the week, its just that its getting difficult to find someone with an opposing viewpoint who will even consider listening to an informed perspective that proves them to be factually incorrect. I would rather have my stance based on accurate data than fabricated scare tactics and cherry picked, manipulated figures. If better data crosses my radar it has this curious effect of changing my perspective and occasionally my entire outlook. Facts matter.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:35 PM

One of the issues with targeting the facts, is that even the police do not keep good records of the types of incidences where firearms are "involved". from just being in a house, inadequate storage, PAL expiration, to actual use in a crime, reasons for PAL being revoked. The Globe just published an article on trying to ascertain facts on illegal smuggling and tracing. One police force wanted 26.000.00 to research it, others do not compile it, just leave it attached to the case concerned. Dennis Young didn't fare a whole lot better. The figures are not kept track of, Statistics Canada doesn't keep track of a lot of it , either.
One post the other day was that Ontario had 249 gun related deaths in 2018, and 1500 opioid deaths, nearly 3000, OD's treated. Alberta had 130 opioid related OD's last year in July alone. I don't see the gun orgs or the opposition politicians picking up on this and using it to illustrate what the Libs are NOT doing anything about. Where the money could be far better spent vs a gun buyback.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:33 PM

https://youtu.be/QzBinC3ICOI
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:11 AM

Default hypocrite lineage

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EFB67O2VUAA2v2E.jpg:large
Old 09-22-2019, 06:33 AM

Default Trudeau Sr.

Shooting seals ,carrying a handgun while enjoying the outdoors and fishing char.The same things we all wish to enjoy as Canadians?
Old 09-22-2019, 07:14 AM

If we could unite all firearm owners to oppose this, we might be able to at least mount a significant opposition to this. But the sad fact is that many firearms owners don't own the firearms that will be effected by the first round of prohibitions, and they simply don't care. Some of our AO firearms owners have even posted support for more restrictions, so with firearms owners divided, we have zero chance of mounting an effective resistance. If the current government is elected, the prohibitions will come, and once the first round is complete, round two will occur, and more firearms will become prohibited. Eventually the prohibitions will include the more common hunting rifles and shotguns, and the people that had previously not cared, will start screaming their opposition, but by then it will be far too late, we will be past the point of no return. At this point, we need to elect a new government, and at least delay this nonsense, hoping that more firearms owners will come to their senses , and see what the current governments long term plan is.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If we could unite all firearm owners to oppose this, we might be able to at least mount a significant opposition to this. But the sad fact is that many firearms owners don't own the firearms that will be effected by the first round of prohibitions, and they simply don't care. Some of our AO firearms owners have even posted support for more restrictions, so with firearms owners divided, we have zero chance of mounting an effective resistance. If the current government is elected, the prohibitions will come, and once the first round is complete, round two will occur, and more firearms will become prohibited. Eventually the prohibitions will include the more common hunting rifles and shotguns, and the people that had previously not cared, will start screaming their opposition, but by then it will be far too late, we will be past the point of no return. At this point, we need to elect a new government, and at least delay this nonsense, hoping that more firearms owners will come to their senses , and see what the current governments long term plan is.
Well stated. Perfect description of the current situation and what will likely happen if the current federal government if re-elected. All firearms owners must unite, no matter what firearms they personally own.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:19 AM

Default well guess what?

A mandate of the UN is to have all member nations disarm their population.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:20 AM

Angry Food for thought

Reading the posts on this forum and other sources, hearing the official statements and rebuttals from interested parties, seeing the signs posted at the Thorncliffe Gun Show yesterday...gave me a profound sense of deja vu. It was almost like we've been transported back to 1994 and the leadership of Jean Chretien and Allan Rock.
The Liberal Party's long term agenda to disarm Canadian citizens has never been about public safety, ever. It has always been about the appearance of doing something while furthering their goal that was established by communist sympathizer Pierre Trudeau in the early 70's.
So, taking the current government to task over this agenda won't be any more successful than similar efforts in 1994. In fact, they appreciate the distraction caused by enraged citizens, it helps prove their point.
If they are re-elected, they will enact stricter gun control laws. If they are defeated, it will only be a temporary delay until they can get re-elected and enact stricter gun control laws. Then they will wait a few years, give people time to forget, rinse and repeat with further restrictions.
Join one of the organizations representing responsible firearms owners, they do a good job presenting the truth to the masses.
Know your enemy; the firearms community has been infiltrated by useful idiots, just like many other organizations.
Stay safe out there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rowing.jpg (55.1 KB, 19 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 09-22-2019, 08:27 AM

Bring up with your non gun-owning, liberal-leaning friends the fact that if you put aside the specific things they want to ban, it’s quite totalitarian of a government to ban people’s existing lawfully-acquired possessions, people who have proven themselves responsible and law abiding. If they’re anti’s tell them it’s not about guns, it’s about the right to private property. Let’s say they want to ban cars next, or private home ownership. No dogs or cats anymore because feeding them contributes to climate change; that and the cats kill so many birds, etc. Trudeau senior failed miserably when he omitted including property rights in the constitution, this is likely precisely one of the reasons why.

Liberals only want to allow people the freedom to do the things they dictate as being ‘OK’. Give a totalitarian an inch....
Old 09-22-2019, 08:31 AM

You have non gun owning, liberal leaning friends?
Old 09-22-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Well, acquaintances & relatives too, them you can’t pick..... Thankfully the votes of my lefty relatives will be soundly drowned out by Conservative votes in their ridings though, happily none of them live in my riding (the only riding in Calgary with a Liberal MP. I’m a campaign volunteer for his CPC opponent.)
Old 09-22-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Lol, not for some time.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:33 AM

And it isn't just firearms laws we need to worry about if the Cons or the Libs wind up in a minority gov't. I get the impression that this country will be in some real trouble if that happens. And it looks like a pretty good possibility that could happen. In which case the coalition of the NDP, Greens and Libs will sink this country as we have known it. The Cons may well flip, if it will help to save their own skins in a minority.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
In all seriousness though, these are the votes that need to be swung, the people who need to hear rational perspectives from people who are not being furious and immature. I'm sure we can all relate to the hotheads that we know and how many people have them on 'ignore', whether in person or on their social media settings.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:05 AM

Default Gun Control

Stay absolutely quiet about this. Do not let this election be about gun control. If we do not make it an issue the liberals will lose more support.