Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-29-2019, 11:06 AM
Banned

Default Selling ammo?

Is it legal to sell ammo? I have a bunch of cases of 3" and 3.5" shotgun shells at a super cheap price I got in a deal I made with a guy. I don't need it all and need to get rid of a bunch of it. Just don't know if it's legal or not?
Old 06-29-2019, 11:27 AM

Default Joined June

Bought ammo from a guy but not sure it is legal to sell. 21 posts in 4 days, things that make me go hmmmmmmm!
Old 06-29-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
Bought ammo from a guy but not sure it is legal to sell. 21 posts in 4 days, things that make me go hmmmmmmm!
If its factory ammo I'm sure its legal to sell as long as the buyer has a PAL.

EDIT Just re-read your post I see what you were getting at.
Old 06-29-2019, 02:35 PM
Banned

It is factory ammo. Just wonder if you can resell it is all. Had to take the lot for the price I got
Old 06-29-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear guy View Post
It is factory ammo. Just wonder if you can resell it is all. Had to take the lot for the price I got
Seems like you really don't understand the art of the deal. If you can't resell it legally then you bought it illegally. On top of that, even for almost free it is only worth buying if you can resell it. All in however you got lucky, as others said, yes you can sell it to someone as long as you make sure they have a current PAL (Not Expired).
Old 07-03-2019, 01:18 PM

Provided the both the seller and buyer have a valid PAL, and it's factory ammo..all is good. Reloaded ammo of any kind=no go.

Seller=needs one to legally be in possession of it
Buyer=needs one to gain possession of it

For the sake of the transaction, the seller need only verify the buyer's PAL. The weight of ammo makes face-to-face deals a better idea, and since Canada Post won't handle it, that means couriers like CanPar or UPS. (=big $)
Old 07-03-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
Provided the both the seller and buyer have a valid PAL, and it's factory ammo..all is good. Reloaded ammo of any kind=no go.

Seller=needs one to legally be in possession of it
Buyer=needs one to gain possession of it

For the sake of the transaction, the seller need only verify the buyer's PAL. The weight of ammo makes face-to-face deals a better idea, and since Canada Post won't handle it, that means couriers like CanPar or UPS. (=big $)
While you do need a PAL to acquire ammunition, I can find no regulation that specifies that you can't legally possess ammunition that was legally acquired, without a PAL. This seems to be another oversight, like being able to purchase ammunition components without a PAL.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...etaire-eng.htm

Quote:
It is necessary to have a firearms licence in order to possess or borrow a firearm or to acquire, by any means, a firearm or ammunition.
Notice that it specifies a license to possess or acquire a firearm, but a license only to acquire ammunition. So if you acquired the ammunition before the PAL came into effect, or if you had a PAL when you acquired the ammunition, but your PAL has expired, according to that statement, you haven't broken any laws.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 07-03-2019 at 02:58 PM.