Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-23-2018, 09:42 AM
Banned

Question see this new lever gun yet?

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/the-long-ranger/

looks like fun

.223 chambering is interesting, maybe see a Grendel down the road?

apparently sub 3.0 lb trigger, wonder how accuracy will turn out?

Last edited by Pixel Shooter; 07-23-2018 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:57 AM

I held the 308 at Cabelas. No trigger testing allowed. The gun felt about 9 pounds without a scope.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:01 AM

Holy BLR ripoff...
Old 07-23-2018, 10:03 AM
Banned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXq7KwZ6eZ0

dang...looks like it can shoot!

half minute lever gun anyone?
Old 07-23-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Holy BLR ripoff...
Except this gun can actually be disassembled and reassembled easily for cleaning.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
Except this gun can actually be disassembled and reassembled easily for cleaning.
So the bolt comes out easily like the Marlin 336?
Old 07-23-2018, 10:33 AM

Looks like a great option for lefty's if it really will shoot 1/2 MOA. Even 1 MOA makes a great hunting gun and the fact it is so much easier to clean than the BLR is a DIG bonus. Be interested to hear the range reports from the first AO buyers.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:37 AM
Banned

i do believe there is a niche hole in the market for modern take on lever guns...

if savage could bring us a 21st century version of the 99...

nice to see someone doing it though!

maybe a pump action too?

p.s. thanks for fixing the title mods
Old 07-23-2018, 10:53 AM

Hahaha. The title was interesting.... it sure didnt take long
Old 07-23-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Hahaha. The title was interesting.... it sure didnt take long
Gotta keep her on the straight and narrow....
Old 07-23-2018, 12:37 PM
Banned

it was meant in the most endearing way but i knew it would likely get mods attention lol
Old 07-23-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Holy BLR ripoff...
You say that like its a bad thing. IMO more options that fall into the "bush gun" category are never a bad thing. I mean, how many T3 clones are there on the market right now. Compared to the veritable army of look alike budget rifles on the market right now, a modified BLR design almost seems almost creative.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:55 PM

That is a nice looking rifle. I wonder would it really hold 1/2 MOA?

$1250 looks to be the price tag.

Last edited by rpcw; 07-23-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
You say that like its a bad thing. IMO more options that fall into the "bush gun" category are never a bad thing. I mean, how many T3 clones are there on the market right now. Compared to the veritable army of look alike budget rifles on the market right now, a modified BLR design almost seems almost creative.
No not a bad thing. But us levergun guys sure don’t have a lot to choose from when it comes to centerfire levergun platforms that can shoot spitzer style bullets safely and the BLR is already out there. As for “bush gun” I shoot a Savage 99 in .308 and I don’t feel this set up falls into “bush gun” category. It’s a 250 to 300 yarder for me. Now this is my bush gun.

Last edited by 1899b; 07-23-2018 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpcw View Post
That is a nice looking rifle. I wonder would it really hold 1/2 MOA?

$1250 looks to be the price tag.
ya i'm sure more than one video and or review will need to be seen to get an overall but first couple reviews i could find were promising, moa doesn't sound unreasonable for it but that .223 video i posted if that were really 100 yards thats great shooting, 3 different factory ammo, cheap 55 gr, then 62 gr fusion deer load both going moa, i saw the fusion going just under if calipers hit that nice little triangle and then the 69 gr gold medal match load easily did half moa...again if the calibers hit that it might show a bit under...

if he shot those groups at 50 yards and just said it was 100 lol...question everything online haha

looks promising though

.223 rem
.243 win
.308 win

if they add 6.5 CM and Grendel then they'd have some modern choices to go in that slick rig to round out the varmint to short action standards, maybe even consider 338 federal or .358 win at some point?

i think sako could turn the firearms world on it's ear if they build a lever gun, they do a really nice detach mag, if they copied a savage 99 for feel and simplicity with their magazine system and modern manufacturing/ingenuity

compete against those fast cycling blaser and other straight pulls they love for those european driven hunts

no one would see that coming lol, but even though the blaser's are fast i think a lever would be quicker and keep your eye on the scope better, have never seen a euro twist on a lever gun, be neat to see what blaser or sako could do for levergun?
Old 07-23-2018, 02:33 PM

I would enjoy seeing a Sako build a lever.

Going to see if I can find a Henry on the shelf somewhere to check out.

It would be interesting to see how they feel compared to a BLR.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:42 PM

As I mentioned in an earlier thread about the long ranger, i had a chance to shoot one in .243. Three shots darn near touching and the fourth opening it up to just under an inch. Could have been barrel heat or me or both. Slick gun with a great trigger. I'm still thinking a .223 and a .308 may follow me home some day soon.

I'd like to see one in .358 win. How about a .350 rem mag

Colin
Old 07-23-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
No not a bad thing. But us levergun guys sure don’t have a lot to choose from when it comes to centerfire levergun platforms that can shoot spitzer style bullets safely and the BLR is already out there. As for “bush gun” I shoot a Savage 99 in .308 and I don’t feel this set up falls into “bush gun” category. It’s a 250 to 300 yarder for me. Now this is my bush gun.

In this age where long range shooting drives the industry, 24" barrels are becoming the standard again, 26" barrels are becoming increasingly common... by comparison anything sporting a 20" barrel has a fair degree of "bush gun" potential IMO.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post

i think sako could turn the firearms world on it's ear if they build a lever gun, they do a really nice detach mag, if they copied a savage 99 for feel and simplicity with their magazine system and modern manufacturing/ingenuity

compete against those fast cycling blaser and other straight pulls they love for those european driven hunts

no one would see that coming lol, but even though the blaser's are fast i think a lever would be quicker and keep your eye on the scope better, have never seen a euro twist on a lever gun, be neat to see what blaser or sako could do for levergun?
Ever seen a Sako Finnwolf? They can still be had used, though the closest I've owned is a Winchester model 88 in .243
Old 07-23-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakoShooter View Post
Ever seen a Sako Finnwolf? They can still be had used, though the closest I've owned is a Winchester model 88 in .243
Yeah, I was about to mention the Finnwolf. Never actually held one myself.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:02 PM
Banned

ME neither, forgot about them. I'd like to see a modern take on a lever though
Old 07-23-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
ME neither, forgot about them. I'd like to see a modern take on a lever though
I think the best previous design is the Savage 99. What would an improvement be? The extractor could be made stronger possibly.

This Henry long ranger gun could have been made better had they not of messed up the scope mounting location.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
I think the best previous design is the Savage 99. What would an improvement be? The extractor could be made stronger possibly.

This Henry long ranger gun could have been made better had they not of messed up the scope mounting location.
blaser's lock up/bolt system but rather straight pull a lever? i've always liked sako's slick bolts, slick metal/magazines etc., and maybe it doesn't need to look like such a traditional old rifle? Like super modern, function and looks that say it's modern also...blaser r8 levergun perhaps as a quick visual? and maybe pump action (which would limit the prone range work type stuff perhaps but as a walking hunt rifle or driven hunt rig? Or the pump is only part of the front end and part stays for bipods or shooting sticks etc? Just fresh ideas, modern ideas to those very fast actions...something other than ar's. But not old 7600/blr type stuff.