Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-04-2022, 08:24 AM

^
I’d say defer until the next Fed election. If we have a Lib Gov or coalition Lib/NDP Gov then boot the RCMP come whatever cost.

If PP is PM that changes a lot. Still wise to invest in AB institutions and grow the firewall from the Fed though. Eventually eastern Canada will elect Liberal again and we’ll be right back to it.
Old 12-04-2022, 08:24 AM

I get it some rules I don’t agree with and some I do. Every country in the world has laws and rules to follow that’s just the way way it is. The vaccine was put in place to stop the spread of covid. In the 1918 influenza killed like 20 percent of the population. Some very smart people made a vaccine to try and stop covid and some people chose not to take it. If you chose not to take it then you had some restrictions. That’s your choice of you can take the vaccine and have the restrictions removed your choice.
From what I seen of covid is that if the world is in a bad plaice it shows how people will act and is not good. The other day I went to the hospital and some guy started swearing at the nurse cause he had to wear a mask in a hospital and then he left. Guess he couldn’t been to sick. He acted like disgusting moron go In a hospital put a mask on or get out.
Old 12-04-2022, 08:35 AM

^
I think as time progresses we’ll come to realize what a grotesque failure on every level the vaccine was and that it did in fact do a great deal of harm. I think the western response to Covid will be viewed as the greatest public health policy failure in the history of humanity.

The coercion and discrimination that a large portion of our society participated in was absolute mental illness driven by fear and anxiety. Totally shameful.

So was and is the mask wearing Covid theatre so many still can’t let go of.

Im very happy to have Premier that agrees.
Old 12-04-2022, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrit View Post
I get it some rules I don’t agree with and some I do. Every country in the world has laws and rules to follow that’s just the way way it is. The vaccine was put in place to stop the spread of covid. In the 1918 influenza killed like 20 percent of the population. Some very smart people made a vaccine to try and stop covid and some people chose not to take it. If you chose not to take it then you had some restrictions. That’s your choice of you can take the vaccine and have the restrictions removed your choice.
From what I seen of covid is that if the world is in a bad plaice it shows how people will act and is not good. The other day I went to the hospital and some guy started swearing at the nurse cause he had to wear a mask in a hospital and then he left. Guess he couldn’t been to sick. He acted like disgusting moron go In a hospital put a mask on or get out.
Don’t be a hypocrite! Vaccine and masking didn’t stop nothing. All the masking BS did was break down our immune system.
Old 12-04-2022, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Covid restrictions were blown out of proportion and there has been horrible reactions from both those who fully supported them and those who opposed them. The example you have given is sat the end is an example why people need to view things realistically and not become polarized on either end of the spectrum. I did not support the mass mandate of masks everywhere but let’s also be realistic a place like a hospital where you have a high % chance of crossing paths with those who are weak immune wise and those who can possibly pass infection of any kind onto others is a reality in a hospital so I a mask is not unrealistic. But many places mask mandates were applied were unrealistic and over reacting. Also how people were treated and vilified for not complying created major divisions in society

Common sense by both sides was thrown out the window and when you try to force anything on people it creates backlash/division. Things were poorly handled

But really there is many positive reasons to have some form of a DS act that are not Covid related. Alberta has had federal taxation forced upon us in the form of the carbon tax and has been jumping through hurdles put up by the Feds trying to grow economically

Canada is a confederation which means the provinces/territories they came together to work together and benefit each other through economic growth and sharing services. In recent years this is not what has been happening

I see the sovereignty act as a last realistic chance Alberta has to try to function effectively within confederation well looking out for Albertans. Without the ability to truly have a say on what happens with the future of economic development and management of Alberta there is no benefit to continue being part of this confederation

It’s not all about Covid
Old 12-04-2022, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Covid restrictions were blown out of proportion and there has been horrible reactions from both those who fully supported them and those who opposed them. The example you have given is sat the end is an example why people need to view things realistically and not become polarized on either end of the spectrum. I did not support the mass mandate of masks everywhere but let’s also be realistic a place like a hospital where you have a high % chance of crossing paths with those who are weak immune wise and those who can possibly pass infection of any kind onto others is a reality in a hospital so I a mask is not unrealistic. But many places mask mandates were applied were unrealistic and over reacting. Also how people were treated and vilified for not complying created major divisions in society

Common sense by both sides was thrown out the window and when you try to force anything on people it creates backlash/division. Things were poorly handled

But really there is many positive reasons to have some form of a DS act that are not Covid related. Alberta has had federal taxation forced upon us in the form of the carbon tax and has been jumping through hurdles put up by the Feds trying to grow economically

Canada is a confederation which means the provinces/territories they came together to work together and benefit each other through economic growth and sharing services. In recent years this is not what has been happening

I see the sovereignty act as a last realistic chance Alberta has to try to function effectively within confederation well looking out for Albertans. Without the ability to truly have a say on what happens with the future of economic development and management of Alberta there is no benefit to continue being part of this confederation

It’s not all about Covid
It’s mostly not about Covid. The media likes to hype that though just to try to paint Smith as some sort of far right, extremist anti vaxxer. It’s just a distraction
Old 12-04-2022, 09:26 AM

Quote:

I agree. It looks like confederation is on the line. And it needn't be; Lougheed reminded the Federal government what their role is within that framework. Just lately the jurisdictional creep has become an avalanche.

Barring a constitutional amendment (which would take a miracle), this Act is the only hope for a united Canada. Interesting times.
Old 12-04-2022, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
It’s mostly not about Covid. The media likes to hype that though just to try to paint Smith as some sort of far right, extremist anti vaxxer. It’s just a distraction
I am of the same opinion and between the media and those who are strongly opposed to anything vaccine or mask related are hurting the validity of the act

I don’t support how Covid was managed and believe vaccines should be by choice. Covid issues are fading do to backlash and less public support for mandates already.

Lets focus on giving Alberta a stronger voice in this confederation overall and it can be useful for future issues in Alberta overall
Old 12-04-2022, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
I like her but I don’t agree with everything , like getting rid of the RCMP, the cost is way to big.
Just look at Surrey BC they got rid of the RCMP got their own city police force but they can not find anyone. They were hoping that those RCMP members would step over to the new city police and just a few did.
I don't think we'll have the same issue here with a provincial police force.
Other than Red Deer and Grande Prairie, Alberta's largest cities already have their own police service.

Besides, I think the only way to truly stop Federal overreach is to not have Federal henchmen on our soil.
Old 12-04-2022, 10:15 AM

I will give her some points if she actually follows through with the recent statement that the UCP will re-visit and remove the highly controversial “power grab” components of the Act.
Old 12-04-2022, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
This Premier has not yet received a mandate from Albertans through an electoral process, yet presumes and acts as if she has one. She’s nothing more than the replacement of an abdicated leader of a fractured party that was in power. I hope she prevails, but I don’t want that to happen at the expense of Albertans’ opportunity to choose their path. Government and opposition should be focused on communicating their platforms now, not making changes ahead of due electoral process. We need to be wary now, not hypnotized flag wavers.
100%

I understand that Canada’s electoral system in a general election is based upon voting for your local representative and the party they’re with and not the leader of the party, but Smith exposed how an unelected opportunist can come in and become leader of the governing party, hold a by-election in a never lose stronghold riding, and believe they have full mandate to begin introducing whatever policy they see fit—despite there being no electoral mandate supporting it. Albertans voted in Kenney’s government via their local representatives based upon the policy and ideas he had, not Smith’s.

If a governing party experiences a leadership change, it should trigger an automatic general election.
Old 12-04-2022, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
The best we have seen since Ralph Klein.
From what I've seen and heard so far, I would agree with that statement.

Judging by the amount of butt-hurt going on, even among the closet-dippers here, I would say she may even surpass 'ol Ralphie.
It's almost comical the spin people are trying to put on this. It's as if it weren't for the Sovereignty Act, they may actually vote UCP.
Hilarious.

Last edited by CBintheNorth; 12-04-2022 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-04-2022, 10:20 AM

Watched Danielle on West block this morning. Man. Is she well spoken. Speaking off the cuff she made more sense in 10 minutes of speaking, on the legitimate and genuine concerns of albertans than some past premiers could spit out in a full term. We a sick of being regulated and beat down by a federal government. I think there is a glimmer of hope for the blue collar back bone of this great province.
Old 12-04-2022, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Watched Danielle on West block this morning. Man. Is she well spoken. Speaking off the cuff she made more sense in 10 minutes of speaking, on the legitimate and genuine concerns of albertans than some past premiers could spit out in a full term. We a sick of being regulated and beat down by a federal government. I think there is a glimmer of hope for the blue collar back bone of this great province.
People who aren’t full of crap can speak like that, contrast that with how our PM answers questions
Old 12-04-2022, 10:30 AM

Looking back now that the virus played itself out a person can say it wasn’t needed but at the time it wasn’t known how bad it could have been.
I just fail to see what people have against wearing a mask. That simple rule to follow and people are protesting.
Old 12-04-2022, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
100%

I understand that Canada’s electoral system in a general election is based upon voting for your local representative and the party they’re with and not the leader of the party, but Smith exposed how an unelected opportunist can come in and become leader of the governing party, hold a by-election in a never lose stronghold riding, and believe they have full mandate to begin introducing whatever policy they see fit—despite there being no electoral mandate supporting it. Albertans voted in Kenney’s government via their local representatives based upon the policy and ideas he had, not Smith’s.

If a governing party experiences a leadership change, it should trigger an automatic general election.
One of the many many flaws in Canadian politics I will agree. Our system across the country needs an overhaul

She was voted into leadership of the party by Albertans but not all Alberta voters

But we are also governed by a leader who majority of Canada didn’t vote for because of how we base things off of seats. A leader that has also being propped up by through bargaining by another party leader who majority of Canadians didn’t vote for

When you break it down our leadership in Canada is not really representative of what was voted for
Old 12-04-2022, 10:32 AM

Rex Murphy did a heck of a good article in the Saturday National post (Dec2).
https://nationalpost.com/opinion/whe...omething-right
Old 12-04-2022, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Looking back now that the virus played itself out a person can say it wasn’t needed but at the time it wasn’t known how bad it could have been.
I just fail to see what people have against wearing a mask. That simple rule to follow and people are protesting.
Let it go COVID is of low importance compared to the major issues with our country. 2 years of neglect and poor management of the country dividing the people is enough

Move forward
Old 12-04-2022, 10:39 AM

Let’s call this what it is, a shot across the bow of the liberal and ndp parties to stop passing nonsense laws and trying to enforce its radical ideology on the rest of us. I’m hoping it is seen for what it is but so far it seems the paid for media is trying to frame it as some threat to national unity and bringing some radical ideology without any oversight.
Old 12-04-2022, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
100%

She is laying out her platform in real time, in front of everyone to see.

The election is Monday May 26, the writ has been dropped.

Not understanding where your coming from, vote for who you want.

She is being more transparent than anyone could ask for.
Old 12-04-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Let it go COVID is of low importance compared to the major issues with our country. 2 years of neglect and poor management of the country dividing the people is enough

Move forward
Did back track a little to much there but I’m trying to find out why people are saying there freedom is at stake.
Rules and laws are part of this country
Old 12-04-2022, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
Let’s call this what it is, a shot across the bow of the liberal and ndp parties to stop passing nonsense laws and trying to enforce its radical ideology on the rest of us. I’m hoping it is seen for what it is but so far it seems the paid for media is trying to frame it as some threat to national unity and bringing some radical ideology without any oversight.
I would agree it’s a demonstration that Alberta is not interested in continuing down the present path. A reminder that confederation is an agreement between the province/territories to work together to benefit one another not a submission to central rule
Old 12-04-2022, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I would agree it’s a demonstration that Alberta is not interested in continuing down the present path. A reminder that confederation is an agreement between the province/territories to work together to benefit one another not a submission to central rule
Nailed it.
Old 12-04-2022, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Did back track a little to much there but I’m trying to find out why people are saying there freedom is at stake.
When new rules/laws take away rights and freedoms that we currently have, our freedom is definitely at stake. And anyone that can't see it happening, just isn't paying attention.
Old 12-04-2022, 11:01 AM

I don’t feel at any time my feedom is being taken away.
Some laws the government is introducing i may not agree with but it’s not taken away my freedom.
Old 12-04-2022, 11:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Really???

Choices are being taken away.
Smith is trying to get them back.
Choice to wear a mask. Not forced to wear a mask.
See the difference?????
Old 12-04-2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boah View Post
Really???

Choices are being taken away.
Smith is trying to get them back.
Choice to wear a mask. Not forced to wear a mask.
See the difference?????
Wearing a mask prevent germ spread it serves a purpose. You have a choice to not wear a shirt on the street off fo into a restaurant you will get kicked out. Pretty simple Daniel smith is just playing on people fears
Old 12-04-2022, 11:09 AM

Quote:
There was without a doubt rights and freedoms infringed upon and these were not voted for by Canadian citizens. I am not going to get into a debate on this because if you can’t understand how people were treated was wrong you will not see it now

Rules and laws are part of managing a country but there is also an in-depth process to put these in place normally. This was not used due to the declaration of the state of emergency which allowed things to pass without being properly reviewed or voted upon. Hence why over stepping of rights took place so easily when they normally would not

I am done with the Covid talk as I have had enough of those with extreme views on either side of it as there is not common sense middle ground on this issue

Again this is a moot point regarding the sovereignty act and let’s move on to looking after Alberta
Old 12-04-2022, 11:11 AM

Ignore the Covid trolling guys it will just derail and close conversations
Old 12-04-2022, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Wearing a mask prevent germ spread it serves a purpose. You have a choice to not wear a shirt on the street off fo into a restaurant you will get kicked out. Pretty simple Daniel smith is just playing on people fears
You mean the paid media is playing on people’s fears