Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 05-05-2017, 09:01 AM
AO Sponsor

Default Horrifying Coyote Encounter: Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...rved-1.4099501

What is this world coming to?
Old 05-05-2017, 09:42 AM

Yup, although I suspect the city has a way to quietly deal with them.

I used to have coyotes running around on my street and back alley, could hear the mating calls in the nearby schoolyard... Until two of them followed my kids to school (my kids didn't notice the coyotes behind them). A teacher managed to shoo them off, but it required a fair amount of effort on his part.

Haven't seen coyotes in the area since...
Old 05-07-2017, 07:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
What do you mean? Habituation with all kinds of animals is taking place everywhere along with the attendant problems. Carry bear or dog spray, for all kinds of "coyotes". Dogs and deer are bad too.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:18 PM
AO Sponsor

Just simply...

Horrifying

I can't believe it... a kiyute attacks a dawg

They should have been friends instead
Old 05-07-2017, 09:08 PM
Banned

Guess I'm kind of slow and didn't think it was normal for a coyote to attack a dog that was with a person. I've never seen it unless it was a habituated animal?
Old 05-08-2017, 12:36 AM

Had a collie dog about 20 years ago. There wasn't a better way to get close to a yote at denning time than to go out with that dog. We were jogging down the road one day and had a yote come within about 40 yards trying to lure the dog.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:55 AM
Banned

Sounds like she needs to get rid of the Labradoodle & get a couple Greyhounds...

https://youtu.be/S6eNfTYCjpA

Old 05-08-2017, 05:40 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstone View Post
Guess I'm kind of slow and didn't think it was normal for a coyote to attack a dog that was with a person. I've never seen it unless it was a habituated animal?
Not normal but it will happen. Had a buddy's wife walk thier two wee dogs, yote scoops one up starts running away, she puts the one back down to save the other, yote spits out the one and picks up the other, she clue's in and hangs onto the one chases the yote who spits out the other, she scoops it up now has both little fur balls that were no bigger than a rabbit and makes her way back to her car with the yote in tow 10 yards behind.
Would have been something to see...when we get yotes like that around here they have a final resting spot...they luv my lab and I luv my little 6-284!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-08-2017, 10:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Not normal but it will happen. Had a buddy's wife walk thier two wee dogs, yote scoops one up starts running away, she puts the one back down to save the other, yote spits out the one and picks up the other, she clue's in and hangs onto the one chases the yote who spits out the other, she scoops it up now has both little fur balls that were no bigger than a rabbit and makes her way back to her car with the yote in tow 10 yards behind.
Would have been something to see...when we get yotes like that around here they have a final resting spot...they luv my lab and I luv my little 6-284!
Very strange. This was a normal coyote that had not been habituated to humans?

Using a dog for denning is very effective as long as the coyotes don't know you are around.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstone View Post
It's common alright , we have had several encounters over the years .
There is a reason that we pack slugs with us when hunting birds over the dogs
Cat
Old 05-10-2017, 07:07 AM
AO Sponsor

It's a daily occurrence in the cities, hear the stories all the time. It's ridiculous that this got on the news. Coyote eats dawg... coyote eats cat. Then the silly thing, cityfolk are all against all this coyote trapping and management, politicians make certain that they have unmanaged coyote numbers in the cities, and so kiyute eats dawg, kiyute eats cat regularly.

Boo hoo
Old 06-07-2017, 07:30 PM

Read Dan Flore's 'Coyote America'...they are uniquely adapted to flourish under pressure. When European contact started Wolves were almost exterminated from the continent while Coyotes went from a small area in the south west to occupying the whole continent. We will never eradicate them from cities.
Kill the trouble makers. Thank the rest for keeping the rodents down and helping the bird population by killing your neighbours annoying cat