Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-18-2019, 08:34 PM

Default Advice on high powered Air Gun

Looking for some advice on high powered Air Guns ( rifle )
Is it possible to purchase an Air gun with enough kick to take out gophers
We live on an acreage and have a guy who comes regularly to shoot gophers but it would be nice to take a few out as an when we see them. Currently don’t have our fire arms permits but it’s something we are looking into obtaining but until then a high powered Air gun may be a option ?
Old 06-18-2019, 08:51 PM

What most people consider to be high powered air rifles, require a PAL to possess. If you get an air rifle making close to , but under 500fps, you don't need a license, and you can kill them with head shots at closer ranges. A .22" caliber will kill them farther than a .177".
Old 06-18-2019, 09:38 PM

Buy a bow or snare them
Old 06-18-2019, 10:25 PM

Killed a bunch of them with a sub 500 fps gun. I think it was a draw between the round nose and wad cutters for killing power. The pointed pellets don't stop them that fast. A wad cutter (at least at higher speed) will cut a hole, like a hole punch, whereas the pointed projectiles (barring expansion) tend to pass through with less damage.

The gun I used was a pump up pneumatic .22. Killed them at a "not too far distance", but not extremely close. Mostly body shots. Much of the time, it was only pumped 7 or 8 times vs. going right to 10. At 7 pumps the pellet was probably leaving the gun at about 430 fps.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 06-18-2019, 10:34 PM

I use to hunt muskrats with a Russian made air gun,(break action) long before the silly gun laws and it killed them quicker then a friends .22 shooting shorts.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:21 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by defino View Post
Looking for some advice on high powered Air Guns ( rifle )
Is it possible to purchase an Air gun with enough kick to take out gophers
We live on an acreage and have a guy who comes regularly to shoot gophers but it would be nice to take a few out as an when we see them. Currently don’t have our fire arms permits but it’s something we are looking into obtaining but until then a high powered Air gun may be a option ?
I have killed 74 gophers on our acreage in the last 10 days. furthest shot 62 yds. I am using a Diana RWS 350 magnum .22. with 14.3 gr. Crossman premier hp. they chrono 830 fps. avg. with this rifle. also running a Hawke 4x12 scope which are notoriously great airgun scopes-- it maintains zero flawlessly. I am zeroed at about 40 yds & at 60 yds, just hold high on the gophers body. If they don't die on the spot the are as good as dead , this is a very powerful air rifle & requires PAL.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:07 AM

Default buy

German ,British or Czech in the break action guns.RWS,Diana Weihrauch/HW CZ etc.I have a RWS34/.22 700 fps and a hW80K/.22 @ 750 fps kills gophers even with body shots. Diana 48,52 or 54 are all good guns but expensive.Be aware Webley is now all Turkish made and QC has slipped considerably.Don't be seduced by marketing /speed of a pellet.Accuracy is more important and makers lie to sell guns.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:12 AM

You need your PAL to get a "high power" airgun. (anything over 495 fps.)
Old 06-19-2019, 01:42 PM

I have a Diana Mauser 98k and love it.Gives 1150 fps in 177 and 850 in 22cal.It is also grooved for a scope.They are a heavy air gun though