Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-04-2019, 10:41 AM

Default Checkering - Laser Engraved vs Hand??

Does anyone have any experience with checkering via laser engraving a stock? How do they compare? Picking up a new Walnut stock for the Win Model 88. Boyds no longer makes them so this is coming from Numrich. Hoping for a fairly local and economical solution in and around Calgary......
Old 06-04-2019, 10:54 AM

I have several examples of each on higher end guns and IMO there is no substitute for hand cut checkering , the skip lines and diamonds seem to stand out better .
Cat
Old 06-04-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I have several examples of each on higher end guns and IMO there is no substitute for hand cut checkering , the skip lines and diamonds seem to stand out better .
Cat
Thanks Cat, so you don't dislike or hate the laser, but definitely prefer the hand cut. That's the type of feedback I was looking for........ from the picture's I've seen the laser seems to leave less of a sharp finish. But I've never had one in my hands..... for me it will likely come down to cost and timing. These custom projects seem to add up......... onto a barrel next!
Old 06-04-2019, 12:16 PM

My previous SxS shotguns had laser cut checking and engraving, my current Grullas are hand cut. The difference isn't huge, but hand cut are sharper
Old 06-04-2019, 09:01 PM

Personally like hand cut better because you can tell it is hand cut, there is always an error, a tiny run over, a narrow line that the next line follows or is cut deeper or shallower than the next, always some imperfection here or there even in the best most expensive custom hand checkering. Laser checkering is too perfect in the layout, line straightness and so consistently even that it is cookie cutter checkering. That said todays factory lazer checkering is so much nicer than that horrible stamped checkering of the 60's to 80's..
Old 06-04-2019, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
My previous SxS shotguns had laser cut checking and engraving, my current Grullas are hand cut. The difference isn't huge, but hand cut are sharper
Even the AyA’s were lazer ?
Old 06-04-2019, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawibunga View Post
Thanks Cat, so you don't dislike or hate the laser, but definitely prefer the hand cut. That's the type of feedback I was looking for........ from the picture's I've seen the laser seems to leave less of a sharp finish. But I've never had one in my hands..... for me it will likely come down to cost and timing. These custom projects seem to add up......... onto a barrel next!
Lazer cut to me looks cheap even though half my firearms have it because you can’t get them hand checkered from the factory’s....The saying they don’t make em like they use to is true in some cases regarding types of firearms that were produced in yester years that are still produced today.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:27 AM

I have really good hand cut, poor hand cut and a bunch of laser cut ones. They all do the job they are intended to do, give you better grip. Were they diverge is appearance. Laser cut checkering is FAR better than a lot of poor hand cut checkering I have seen on some European guns. Good hand cut checkering is a thing of beauty but there aren't many I would call really well done. Laser checkering is generally pretty darn good, few flaws and holds up well. Biggest advantage to laser is of course the price.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Even the AyA’s were lazer ?
The AYA literature that I saw specified laser engraved for the base #2, the higher grades actually specify hand cut.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 06-05-2019 at 06:18 AM.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:45 AM

I've only had one rifle with hand-cut checkering and by far, it does it's "job" better. "Job" defined by improving your grip where it's checkered. The laser-cut checkering lacks the depth, and is probably 75% (+/-) for aesthetics. Hand-cut checkering is sharper, has some depth to it, more "grippy" feeling, etc. At the same price, I don't think anyone would pick laser over hand checkering, which probably says it all. That said, I've never NOT liked a rifle because the checkering was done by laser.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:03 AM

I really like a good hand cut checkering job for aesthetics, but for pure grip as on my Walther and Anschutz match rifles the stippling they put on them is far superior.
Cat
Old 06-07-2019, 05:36 PM

Default Beretta 686 (laser) vs Baikal IJ (hand cut)

I have both laser and hand cut. Beretta 686 Ultralight is laser checkering. It looks nice and there a curved cut that laser did but feels like rough use will let my checkering break away since the checkering is on wood.

Baikal IJ27E has hand cut checkering and this gun is made in USSR back in 1970s as of now not a single missing/damaged checkering.

Go for hand cut you wont be sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawibunga View Post
Old 06-07-2019, 06:10 PM

Hey Kbunga, any idea when your 88 was made? Why are you replacing the stock? I've got my grandfather's 88 in .308, manufactured in 1958 so the checkering is hand cut. Anyway a while back I decided to restore it, the old girl has seen a lot of country and taken her fair share of game. The checkering was really worn so I ordered a set of checkering tools and redid it. Over all I'm happy with the results but in hind sight I should have found something to practice on before tackling the Winchester. Guess I'll always prefer something done by hand. Best part was the trip to the range afterwards. I decided to try out the iron sights before putting the scope back on (never used them before). Fired off 3 shots at 50 meters, group was right around an inch, 2" high of dead center. First picture is a before shot.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-10-2019, 12:04 PM

That restore job turned out really nice! It's a 59 if memory serves me. I could leave it as is for sure, but it's a bit of a custom fun project for my Dad, my first custom project actually. Started an earlier thread on it that I'll update as I progress. It's getting rebarreld in 338 federal and a cerakote job done on it.

That said I guess I'll have a used stock for an 88 in the next few weeks if someone needs one. I really like the look of laminate but without Boyds making them anymore that would be way out of my price range.....