Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-20-2020, 08:03 AM

Default Sheep shape

What is everyone doing to get ready for back country trips this season?

Before my gym got shutdown I was putting on my ruck and aiming for 100 flights of stairs on the stair master 3 times a week plus weight training.

Slacked off a bit during bear season

Now I am trying to ruck heavy for shorter distances and yesterday went for a jog with a light ruck on. feeling the burn this morning.

I need an FR pack cover so I can walk around the job site and get some extra training in! lol
Old 06-20-2020, 08:38 AM
Banned

I’m a fan of the mtn tough programs
Most of their programs you need a gym but they did come up with one that you only need a pack and You use cement bags for the weight
It seem like a pretty good option with the covid lockdown where it’s at
Old 06-20-2020, 08:59 AM

Nothing beats a heavy pack and lots of stairs. If you're looking for a home workout, then I recommend loading a pack on and doing some squats and lunges in the backyard.
I have also found getting some skating in during the winter and spring helps prep the legs and prevent cramping and injury.
Old 06-20-2020, 09:52 AM

Not looking for tips, just wondering what everyone else was doing to get ready for the season, lots of threads about hunting areas and people asking questions but I don't see many fitness threads.

Thinking about and planning hunting season is really the only thing that motivates me to get/stay fit. I actually really dislike working out, but its gotta be done.
Old 06-20-2020, 01:23 PM

A week or two ago there was an episode on the hunt backcountry podcast about hiking heavy. Was done with a former US army trainer, I think for the seals...well worth a listen, with some good info on 'minimum effective dose'.
Old 06-20-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philintheblank View Post
Thinking about and planning hunting season is really the only thing that motivates me to get/stay fit. I actually really dislike working out, but its gotta be done.
Same. The only way I can exercise in the winter is thinking of hiking the mountains easier. I put some weights and a water cooler jug in my pack for going on the treadmill. I try to keep the incline on max. The water moving slightly kind of reminds me of the weight shift when hiking a hill with a cross wind.

I enjoy hiking so I throw some water jugs in my pack while shed hunting in the spring and that's not as bad as the treadmill.
Old 06-20-2020, 03:02 PM

I usually ramp up the cross fit training a few months before the opener. I like the cross fit style training because it’s working muscles build and cardio at the same time which for me seems more life like to what we face in the field. I also find weight lifting to be boring. Cross fit keeps it interesting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2020, 03:08 PM

By getting out there and doing all the scouting
Old 06-20-2020, 03:11 PM
Banned

Scouting and getting out there never been to the gym before
Old 06-20-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRussian View Post
By getting out there and doing all the scouting
Ya ya, rub it in while I am at work...

Nothing better than chirps from your buddy for motivation.
Old 06-20-2020, 05:31 PM

I spend the winter & early spring increasing general strength & aerobic qualities.

The rest of the spring & summer is spent maintaining those strength gains & doing more specific cardiovascular work in the form of hiking. Some hikes are longer with light loads & some are shorter with heavier loads - each having a specific purpose & training different physical qualities.

Getting into shape for sheep hunting is far from rocket science. Being stronger & having an excellent aerobic system will always be an advantage.

Not getting hurt training like an idiot and entering hunting season pain-free may well be better than any ‘perfect’ training plan.
Old 06-20-2020, 08:33 PM

Quick warning on stairs...you can be in for a world of trouble if you don’t condition your feet and ankles to hiking on a slope. Stairs are flat. Big difference. A lot better than nothing especially in winter, but once I can get outside there’s no question hills are better.

I do a program called foundation training every day to keep the back strong - it’s sorta like yoga but more strength based.

For workouts: legs, upper body, legs, abs/core, day off/active rest. Repeat. Legs days are switched up between stairs, bike, treadmill, hikes, interval sprints.

Absolutely no jumpy flippy throw weight around nonsense. Completely unnecessary for hunting. We aren’t in combat. Joint injury can stop your season right now, and possibly all future hunts.
Old 06-20-2020, 08:45 PM

I cut down from a pack a day to a halfer. Works wonders for the cardio.
Old 06-20-2020, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
I cut down from a pack a day to a halfer. Works wonders for the cardio.
And down from a full jug to a few doubles...........
Old 06-21-2020, 12:05 AM

I went to edworthy park and walked up that big hill today. A little old Chinese lady lapped me! It’s a start, only did it once as I was going metal detecting and didn’t want to miss out on digging more bottle caps.
Old 06-21-2020, 08:04 AM

I try to get out hiking at least once a week. My home is situated between the Purcell and Selkirk Rockies so lots of choices for both longer and shorter day hikes. Within an hour and a half there are numerous hiking trails into the alpine and if you don't mind bushwhacking countless ways to the tops of local mountains. I usually pack either a heavy day bag or cinch down my big bag, ends up 30-40lbs. I know I should put more in but I still want enjoy the hike.

I know most guys don't have a mountain that they can walk to from their house but I think doing as many hikes a year will keep your legs in mountain shape.Completely different from stairs or stairmasters, they definitely help but actually being in the mountains is hard to replicate. I go out snowshoeing(rabbit hunting) all winter and get as much cross country skiing in as I can. The summer hikes with family are almost always into areas I backpack hunt so I get a chance to a bit of scouting along the way. My wife and girls aren't into hours of sitting and glassing so I'm mainly on the lookout for fresh sign, trails. beds, and animals of course.
Old 06-21-2020, 08:04 AM

I try to get out hiking at least once a week. My home is situated between the Purcell and Selkirk Rockies so lots of choices for both longer and shorter day hikes. Within an hour and a half there are numerous hiking trails into the alpine and if you don't mind bushwhacking countless ways to the tops of local mountains. I usually pack either a heavy day bag or cinch down my big bag, ends up 30-40lbs. I know I should put more in but I still want enjoy the hike.

I know most guys don't have a mountain that they can walk to from their house but I think doing as many hikes a year will keep your legs in mountain shape.Completely different from stairs or stairmasters, they definitely help but actually being in the mountains is hard to replicate. I go out snowshoeing(rabbit hunting) all winter and get as much cross country skiing in as I can. The summer hikes with family are almost always into areas I backpack hunt so I get a chance to a bit of scouting along the way. My wife and girls aren't into hours of sitting and glassing so I'm mainly on the lookout for fresh sign, trails. beds, and animals of course.
Old 06-21-2020, 08:09 AM

Sorry double tapped and can't figure out how to delete one of the replies.
Old 06-21-2020, 08:42 AM

I hike up and down a hill I have behind my place. Used it most of the winter this year and came into spring in some of the best shape I have been in for several years.......then my young horse bucked me off twice on the May long weekend and that put a damper on things. As you get older hitting the ground hurts more and more and recovery takes a lot longer as well.
Been riding my bike on the gravel the past couple of weeks and trying to exercise as much as I have time for now again. Want to get back to the hill hikes this week as I Find going both up and down on uneven ground is the best prep work out for me.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:22 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I always say train to sport specific....if your sport requires good vo2, heavy packs and steep climbs over a duration of long lengths then start light and work your way up....hydration, fuel the body accordingly to what you will be living on during your hunt....strength and conditioning....good core strength training too....good luck.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-21-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
And down from a full jug to a few doubles...........

Ed Zachary. Pound a few doubles. Pass out. Can't smoke and sleep. Voila.

I keep the bottle, ice, etc in the kitchen so walking to the fridge and back for ice is good cardio too. As opening day gets closer and I step things up, I'll even walk the block to the liquor store.. every third or 4th trip.

I don't fully recline the Lazy-Boy for a month b4 the season starts either. It's almost like doing ab crunches for hours while I watch sheep hunting shows.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Ed Zachary. Pound a few doubles. Pass out. Can't smoke and sleep. Voila.

I keep the bottle, ice, etc in the kitchen so walking to the fridge and back for ice is good cardio too. As opening day gets closer and I step things up, I'll even walk the block to the liquor store.. every third or 4th trip.

I don't fully recline the Lazy-Boy for a month b4 the season starts either. It's almost like doing ab crunches for hours while I watch sheep hunting shows.
hahaha
Old 06-21-2020, 10:39 AM

Not sheep shape... but ready to chase Elk...

Started walking 5 k every second day... in March...big trail that has 300m vertical in it.
First three weeks were really tough. Snow was stupid deep.
Now I can almost run ( well.. I’m in a running motion..) all of it.. but I seem to be limited to doing it 3 to 4 times / week as my knee needs to be really brought along slowly.

I’ve done a lot of reading and instead of just crunches and squats for core.... I’m doing very specific hip and upper gluteus Maximus strengthening. I am happy to report that after searching for 20 years.... THIS is key to better stronger and happier knees...!
I’ve got multiple tears in my meniscus and floaties that sometimes jam me up. But if you really strengthen your hips and glutes.... it’s keeps stuff in line and super takes the pressure off the knee joint.
I’m also starting to do a lot of lower back strengthening as well.

Chasing elk for a full day over ridges and Wut not... is a lot. Then there’s that’s packing out business......
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 06-21-2020, 07:08 PM

Stairs - when I can do 5000 in under 40 minutes, and on off days, 2000 stairs with a 50 lb pack with no time limit. I feel my cardio, joints and endurance are where it needs to be when I can do both 2x per week.
Old 06-26-2020, 12:03 AM

stairs and elliptical. Do forward and reverse on the elliptical, seems to help with descents with a heavy pack...
Old 06-29-2020, 07:29 PM

Exo Mountain gear has a great 4 week training program for flatland training
Old 07-01-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod in the sticks View Post
Exo Mountain gear has a great 4 week training program for flatland training

Just searched for it ... I think it’s found here:

https://exomtngear.com/pages/free-ba...aining-program
Old 07-01-2020, 06:00 PM

Well Im ready for my back country hunt, here is how I look at it, its not a race to go anywhere, I can camp any where along the way as My pack is full with the gear, Im at 45 pounds for a 10 day hunt, no water, as I walk past the water along the way.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:33 AM

I train all year for various reasons- predominantly hockey and sheep. Running is absolutley the best cardio I've found. I have a love/hate relationship with running. Pushing for a marathon this year. Did a half last year.
I strength train too- weights and crossfit.

Where it pays off: going from 7000-8000 elevation in the thin air. Just having that good ticker from running and training allows you to push up that knob and kettle country much easier.