Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-07-2020, 09:45 PM

Default choosing the right toyota tacoma

so after fiddle farting around trying to get "project trucks" to work i have decided im tired of playing the "whats that sound" game and want a decent newer reliable vehicle thats not going to break on me every few weeks.
i have settled on the toyota tacoma and know im set on that but im stuck on what generation of truck to get.
from what i understand the older generation (05-15) has a huge following and some say is the better truck. the newer models have more comfort options and a different more fuel efficient engine.
im looking for feedback from those who own or have owned tacomas especially the newer 3rd gen trucks especially when it comes to off road and hunting use.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 07-07-2020, 09:51 PM
Banned

The last good ones had a 4.0.

I’d look awful hard at ram 1500 4x4 v6 8spd with 3.55 axles from 2013 upward. Maybe find one with the 121 liter tank also if lucky, 1000km highway range empty. Awesome trucks and beat the taco on mileage, and they aren’t even in the same ballpark when it comes to daily livability...comfort/ride/handling/space.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
so after fiddle farting around trying to get "project trucks" to work i have decided im tired of playing the "whats that sound" game and want a decent newer reliable vehicle thats not going to break on me every few weeks.
i have settled on the toyota tacoma and know im set on that but im stuck on what generation of truck to get.
from what i understand the older generation (05-15) has a huge following and some say is the better truck. the newer models have more comfort options and a different more fuel efficient engine.
im looking for feedback from those who own or have owned tacomas especially the newer 3rd gen trucks especially when it comes to off road and hunting use.
Had an 07 with a 2" lift on both ends. 300,000km beat hard in the oilfield no issues other than broken leaf springs from overloading. Kinda like having a quad, it went everywhere. Great for driving around, terrible for pulling trailers. Same fuel economy as my 14 Tundra.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:03 PM

I run a '14 with 130k on it at the moment. It's been great and had minimal issues. I spend a lot of time on rougher roads...not really mudding or off-road travel like the Waiparous crowd but more hunting, fishing and quite a bit of ski-touring locations. No complaints really so far. I have looked at the 3rd Gen trucks and would probably avoid the first year or two. There were a few issues, although I can honestly say I didn't dig too deep into them. It seems that all has been resolved since then and you will find a truck that will be fairly reliable for years to come. I will say that as far as options go, the 2nd Gen was pretty basic which is probably why there wasn't a lot to go wrong. It might not have the options many want but sometimes less is more and one less thing to go wrong.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
The last good ones had a 4.0.

I’d look awful hard at ram 1500 4x4 v6 8spd with 3.55 axles from 2013 upward. Maybe find one with the 121 liter tank also if lucky, 1000km highway range empty. Awesome trucks and beat the taco on mileage, and they aren’t even in the same ballpark when it comes to daily livability...comfort/ride/handling/space.
good to know about the 4.0
i dont doubt that some of the fullsize trucks have better mileage or cabspace etc but i just sold a domestic fullsize truck that had great reviews yet was a massive pile of crap. i like smaller trucks and toyotas have proven to be reliable so thats what im going with.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:36 PM

I bought an 09 new and drove it until 2016. Sold it with 140k on it and the only problem was warranty work on the leafs in the back that never cost a thing. It was only a hwy/hunting/bush truck and saw ALOT of washboard. It averaged 22mpg hwy and 16 city. My 09 tundra gets at best 17 hwy and averages 14 all around. If i didn't need a bigger truck I'd buy another in a heart beat. Went alot further in deep snow than a buddies 09 ram, helps being a fair bit lighter.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:55 AM
Banned

I own 2007(4cyl, 4x4) and 2018(TRD) Tacomas. I love my old 2007 and regret I didn't buy 2015.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:11 AM

I just sold my 07 Tacoma with near 400000km, it was a great little truck. Basic maintenance and tires and that was it. It was my daily runner until I sold it. It was great in the bush and the highway. I just bought a 2020 and I do like the truck. It has changed quite a bit and not all for the good in my opinion. Lots of little handy storage areas have been removed and unfortunately I find it a little too fancy for a truck, I did appreciate the basic features of my 07. I do hope the new engine and transmission are as reliable as the gen 2. Time will tell, good luck with your decision.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 07-08-2020, 08:26 AM

I have almost 40k on my 2019 TRD Offroad, and zero issues so far. I chose the Offroad over the Sport, primarily for the locking rear differential, and it has come in handy.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:58 AM

Just coming up on 100k on my 17 Off Road. It's been a good truck for sure. I definitely didn't like the original transmission software, yes it's an auto. It's decent on fuel, I'm at 11.1L/100km on this tank half way through. I would say I average 12L over an entire year. I looked at the Colorado's, price was pretty much identical, and I definitely prefer the styling of the Taco over the GM's, add to that reliability, and resale.

So far it's been change oil and filters. Just did the spark plugs as recommended, I couldn't tell the difference. Ride is awesome, and like Elk said the rear locker is a nice bonus. I'm not a rock crawler, beat the **** out of my truck kind of guy, but it see's real off road, and has needed the rear chains on a few times. I've gone places my 2500HD couldn't go before for sure. My old Honda 300 will fit in the back but any quads bigger will be up on the wheel wells. I'm now running studded Hak's in the winter as I find it sketchy on ice compared to a full size due to weight. She's like a cat on a screen door with the Hak 9's.

One other thing to note is the seating position took awhile to get used to, but it's fine to me now. I'm just 6' and I was banging my shins for the first few weeks. If you're a tall guy it will be worse I think. One other nit pick, It doesn't go in and out of 4wd as smoothly or as fast as my GMC's did.

Last edited by Homesteader; 07-08-2020 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:32 AM

Default 1999 Tacoma

I own a 1999 Toyota Tacoma, regular cab, 5 speed manual, 6' box, 4 cyl (2.7L engine). It just turned 200,000 kms.

No rust, no accidents just normal driving application; hunting/fishing. It has never seen a creek or river.

I service it religiously every 5,000 kms (sometimes less).....Properly maintained, they sure hold their value.....I expect to get 350,000 kms out of it.

I haven't seen another like it with the regular cab; short and compact.

I love mine.....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 07-08-2020 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:27 AM

Arrow 2015 Tacoma 👍

Quote:

good to know about the 4.0
i dont doubt that some of the fullsize trucks have better mileage or cabspace etc but i just sold a domestic fullsize truck that had great reviews yet was a massive pile of crap. i like smaller trucks and toyotas have proven to be reliable so thats what im going with.

Yup 👆 ❗

I own a 2015 Tacoma (4.0L/5A) 👆 ... no issues / no problems / no worries ❗
And NO ... I Ain't got no use for a bigger truck.

I'll probably drive it to my grave. 🤠

Selkirk
Old 07-08-2020, 11:54 AM

Same price (or more) for a compact truck vs. many full size trucks...
I'll never understand the infatuation with the Tacoma.
- Que the "it will run forever crowd".

I test drove one about 5 years ago, and at a measly 5'10" tall I couldn't believe how uncomfortable it is to sit in one.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:36 PM

I’ve had three Tacoma’s in the last 20 years. Bought a 2000 new, 3.4ltr, manual.
2007 4.0ltr with the manual, and just upgraded to a 2015 Limited.
Also had a 1994 pickup.
All were great, just gas, oil and go. Only ever had to replace a lightbulb in the 2000. No BS.
All were/have been pounded down forestry roads in my BC homeland. Lots of backcountry travel with no hickups. Great bush rigs.
I am 6’ tall and the 2007 and 2015 (same truck) fit me very comfortable.
2000 was a little short but I made it work easily. All trucks hauled my 12’ Jon boat, dirt bikes, and mountain bikes.

My favorite for bush use was easily the 2000, very capable little rig and fit anywhere. From 1997-2004 they are all the same driveline. Very reliable.
They command a high price, but the truck is worth it in my opinion. A nice one will run you 5-9000k.
Guys who’ve never run them say it’s hype. But go to any fly fish bush lake in the interior of BC and ask one of the people parked there (because there will be one parked there&#128521 how he/she likes the Tacoma. There won’t be many complaints.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:47 PM

I have a 2007 SR-5 with the 4.0 L. It has been great. Starting to get rusty.

One big thing to note: there was a voluntary recall for 2005 to 2010 Tacoma‘s regarding the frame. The frames were prematurely rusting. I recently had my frame completely replaced under this warranty... new front end, struts, etc. I am not sure if Toyota is still doing it, however. So if you do look at those model years, I would make sure that this service was done.

I do like the 4.0 L. I’m sure than the 3.5 L is just fine. Good luck.
Old 07-08-2020, 02:02 PM

Wink Friendly advice.

Whichever model you choose, just make sure it has good recovery points front and rear. That prevents the Jeeps from tearing off all the plastic bits when they are pulling you out of the rhubarb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Toyota.jpg (51.3 KB, 97 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 07-08-2020, 04:27 PM

I had a 2011, sold it last year with 180k on it. One of the best vehicles I ever owned. Leaf springs replaced under warranty and had to do 1 wheel bearing,no other repairs required in 7 years. You can get a truck with a better ride and you can get a truck with better mileage and you can get a truck that has more options and you can get a truck that tows more and has a bigger cargo capacity, but you won't find a better truck .
Old 07-08-2020, 04:30 PM

I have owned a 2011 sr5 4.0 long bed (82k on it) since new. Have never had a issue other than a few minor warranty jobs. It drives and looks like new. It has been a great truck.

That being said, I would rather have a half tonne. 1500's have similiar gas mileage, but are far more capable when it comes to payload, towing and HP. My 2011's payload is 1100 # (near the high end for tacomas), so with my quad, myself, and some gear my payload is maxed. Truck handles it fine though.

Good luck with your new truck!!!
Old 07-08-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherdan View Post
I have a 2007 SR-5 with the 4.0 L. It has been great. Starting to get rusty.

One big thing to note: there was a voluntary recall for 2005 to 2010 Tacoma‘s regarding the frame. The frames were prematurely rusting. I recently had my frame completely replaced under this warranty... new front end, struts, etc. I am not sure if Toyota is still doing it, however. So if you do look at those model years, I would make sure that this service was done.

I do like the 4.0 L. I’m sure than the 3.5 L is just fine. Good luck.

The class action lawsuit affects more years than 05 to 10. I just had my 2011 in the shop. My frame was not that bad so they put a few plastic plugs and bolts in the frame to seal up some of the holes. Along the welds, for about 70% of the frame, they applied some white grease. Not to impressed with the kind of products used. More of a bandaid fix. This was not a goodwill Toyota recall, they were forced to do it by a court ruling.

A guy was in the shop when I was with a newer tacoma then mine getting his frame inspected. If buying a used Tacoma definitely have it inspected.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:44 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

save you the headache....don't buy Toyota!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-08-2020, 05:00 PM

Default Tundra

Quote:
I would recomend going with the Tundra over the Taco. They are more relaible. I owned a Tundra and loved it, never had a lick of trouble with it. My Brother has a Taco and he has had a few issues.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:04 PM

I have a 2015 Tacoma and it has not been without issues. New rear end , tcase was leaking and now the steering is stiff and nobody can seem to figure it out. It’s not the intermediate steering shaft. I don’t drive the **** out of it either. So I’m on the hunt for a new truck. When I took my 2015 in for the frame rust proof they lent me a 2020 with 500 km on it. The rear end made some nasty noises. All I can say is they all seem to be made for the share holders benefit these days. Looking at the Colorado ZR2 or back to a new taco. At this point I don’t know what I’m doing for sure. I think it’s just me and my bad luck with trucks.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
I have a 2015 Tacoma and it has not been without issues. New rear end , tcase was leaking and now the steering is stiff and nobody can seem to figure it out. It’s not the intermediate steering shaft. I don’t drive the **** out of it either. So I’m on the hunt for a new truck. When I took my 2015 in for the frame rust proof they lent me a 2020 with 500 km on it. The rear end made some nasty noises. All I can say is they all seem to be made for the share holders benefit these days. Looking at the Colorado ZR2 or back to a new taco. At this point I don’t know what I’m doing for sure. I think it’s just me and my bad luck with trucks.
Good buddy of mine has a ‘17 ZR2 with the mini Duramax. Great mileage, lots of problems.
Rear diff piled up, trans clunking hard, engine puking oil. Also a few minor recalls. All covered under warranty, but a hassle non the less. The spare tire also hangs down quite low and has a tendency to drag.
Cool truck, but not something I’d be comfortable with. High price tag and poor re sale value as well.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:42 PM

My first new vehicle I ever bought was a 1991 Toyota SR5 pickup (the precursor to the tacoma).

I put on 33's and it had the 3.0 V-6 which was thirsty but it would climb trees if you asked her to. That truck has been places where most bicycles couldn't go.

In 1991 Toyota had a 6 year unlimited mileage warranty and they honored it.

Put almost 600,000 km before selling it. I had no issues with it whatsoever other than regular wear and tear items and normal replacement items like belts, wipers, hoses, a battery, brakes, but nothing mechanical really.

Was a fantastic truck. Miss that thing. Should have kept it.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:18 AM

So to answer a few questions.
I am not concerned about towing or payload as I rarely tow anything but a small decoy trailer.
I don't want a tundra because the fuel costs far outweigh the usefulness of the bigger truck.
Toyota's have been prone to excessive rusting since the dawn of time so I don't get why people still complain about it like it's a new thing. It's the cost of owning a yota.

I pulled the trigger today on a green 2014 with extremely low km that I'm hoping will last me for a very long time or at least longer than the Ford's or chevs iv driven

Old 07-09-2020, 05:42 AM

Quote:
I am not concerned about towing or payload as I rarely tow anything but a small decoy trailer.
I don't want a tundra because the fuel costs far outweigh the usefulness of the bigger truck.
Toyota's have been prone to excessive rusting since the dawn of time so I don't get why people still complain about it like it's a new thing. It's the cost of owning a yota.

I pulled the trigger today on a green 2014 with extremely low km that I'm hoping will last me for a very long time or at least longer than the Ford's or chevs iv driven
I think you made a good decision. Every vehicle will have issues, but to dispute the chances of getting a reliable Toyota is a pretty futile exercise.

Can you tell us how many km and how much you paid?
Old 07-09-2020, 06:17 AM

Quote:

👍 Good stuff. That’s perfect!
Old 07-09-2020, 07:38 AM

I think I will keep my truck. Maybe one day I will find a mechanic that really gives a ——— and figure out the steering. From what I hear about the Colorado I will probably be hating life with the transmission starts acting up. Or maybe by an new taco to fix the steering. I try not loose too much more sleep about it. The one nice thing is how easy the oil is to change on 2 gens. Even the new tacos went to a stupid cartridge filter.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:03 AM

The folks on the Big Island of Hawaii got it figured out.
Saw one Ford 150 and thousands of Tacoma’s.
Mostly new ones.

Don
Old 07-09-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I think you made a good decision. Every vehicle will have issues, but to dispute the chances of getting a reliable Toyota is a pretty futile exercise.

Can you tell us how many km and how much you paid?
I payed 28***k with an extra set of rims/tires and a trailer brake control as well as a 3 year tires and rims policy. It has 77*** km on it.
My last ford cost me $6000 in 6 months so it won't take much for this truck to be better