Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-01-2020, 06:16 PM

Default Mauser rear sight

I've got a young friend who has an old Mauser in 6.5 x 55 Swede missing a rear sight. He's a great kid, in the Forces and on the shooting team. He really wants to get his Mauser set up to shoot, and I told him I'd check with the people who would know....I'm willing to buy it for him, if anybody has an inside track on this rare animal. What he needs it for is a:

It's a husqvarna vapenfabriks aktiebolag 1941

Anybody can help?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-01-2020, 06:23 PM

A couple pics he just sent me:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5480_01.jpg (50.8 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5477_01.jpg (72.5 KB, 55 views)

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-01-2020, 06:37 PM

Not original, but can look into the mojo sight.

I have them on a m38 swede and they are better than the originals that shot 12"+ high for moa of a man.

They are essentially 2 peep sights. Center the front ring inside the rear ring with target in middle of the front ring.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:39 PM

Its missing the whole mount... hmm... maybe buy another rifle? Mine was 3 or 400...
Old 04-01-2020, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
Not original, but can look into the mojo sight.

I have them on a m38 swede and they are better than the originals that shot 12"+ high for moa of a man.

They are essentially 2 peep sights. Center the front ring inside the rear ring with target in middle of the front ring.
Any chance you could post a link? Not really familiar with it....he has a preference for original, but he may not get his wish.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
Its missing the whole mount... hmm... maybe buy another rifle? Mine was 3 or 400...
Yeah, I get the feeling it is sentimental to him, think he got it from his grandpa.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:52 PM

Here is that they look like.

Rear is adjustable for elevation and windage. Center the front one in the dovetail the best you can.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2020, 07:05 PM

www.mojosights.com

Some use the front post, mine is what they call the snap sight.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:17 PM

Another photo sorry, if he doesnt have stripper clips, they work great.

They drop into the groove/rear notches and then the round cutout one the left side is for your thumb to push them deep into the rifle.

Push the bolt forward and the stripper flies out and a round goes in.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:19 PM

Thanks Jerry, I will pass this on see what he thinks.

Old 04-02-2020, 12:59 AM

Phone Western Gun Parts and Tradex. One of those two is likely to have one in stock.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:01 AM

Thanks Dean, I will pass that on.

Old 04-02-2020, 08:32 AM

Might want to slug the bore. From your photos the stock disc appears to have red wax on it/in the stock cutout for the disc. That was usually done by the Swedes when the bore was shot out...
My posts are the intellectual property of the person commenting under the pseudonym "Desert_Faux". These posts are for informational and entertainment use only. Copying or quoting in whole, or in part, is given free license for use by any member of this board for use on this board. Any use, in whole or in part, for reference outside this forum requires the express written consent of its author.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:45 AM

But anyways.

Here is what he will be looking for.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Original-sig...EAAOSwdb5eIHCt

He will have to get the correct rear sight leaf for it too. Will probably be the “T” sight leaf.
My posts are the intellectual property of the person commenting under the pseudonym "Desert_Faux". These posts are for informational and entertainment use only. Copying or quoting in whole, or in part, is given free license for use by any member of this board for use on this board. Any use, in whole or in part, for reference outside this forum requires the express written consent of its author.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Faux View Post
Might want to slug the bore. From your photos the stock disc appears to have red wax on it/in the stock cutout for the disc. That was usually done by the Swedes when the bore was shot out...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Faux View Post
But anyways.

Here is what he will be looking for.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Original-sig...EAAOSwdb5eIHCt

Thanks for info, I will pass that on!

He will have to get the correct rear sight leaf for it too. Will probably be the “T” sight leaf.
Appreciate link. And a big thank you to one of our AO family for donating rear mount!

Old 04-03-2020, 06:16 PM

Thanks to thomas80 for donating a rear sight mount to my young friend. At the end of the day, the AO community is just chock full of really decent folks. I told the youngster before I posted that I would be shocked if somebody didn't step up....and he was shocked how quick it happened.

It's not a complete set up yet, still looking for the slider, but ahead of where he was.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:19 PM

Default so

Do you have the sleeve that needs to be soldered on the barrel? There should be a flat spring ,site with slide and a pin attaching it to the sleeve.I may have some parts somewhere post a pic of what you have when you get it.It's a model 38 rifle.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
Do you have the sleeve that needs to be soldered on the barrel? There should be a flat spring ,site with slide and a pin attaching it to the sleeve.I may have some parts somewhere post a pic of what you have when you get it.It's a model 38 rifle.
This is what's on the way so far:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 607550548.jpg (36.7 KB, 17 views)

Old 04-04-2020, 12:00 AM

While it might work, that rear sight sleeve is not correct for a 1941 Husqvarna.

The rear sight sleeve you’ll be getting is for a full length m/96 or an m.96/38 (an older m/96 rifle with a cut down barrel or replacement barrel.)

You’ll need the rear sight leaf and spring for an M/96 to work and might have to replace the front sight to a taller post. Or you’ll need a Västerås rear micrometer sight. Also, the M/96 and m.96/38 rear sight starts at 300m lowest setting. While the original 1941 Husqvarna starts at 100m.

To get taller front sights, check out Trade-Ex.

https://www.tradeexcanada.com/parts/42

Not certain if the rear sight sleeve will fit the 1941 Husqvarna either. Also, it’ll need to be silver soldered on.

Just an FYI. Hope it all works out for your friend.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:05 AM

Default yup

As stated wrong sleeve for a 38 .............that's a 96 which start at 300 meters. The sleeve should be smooth with no steps.
https://www.libertytreecollectors.co...?idCategory=42
Old 04-04-2020, 01:23 PM

Well...it's all beyond me, as I've never had a Mauser. I appreciate all the input, and will continue to try and help the youngster get set up. I really appreciate the knowledge that is on the forum, and freely shared. I will have a look at the trade link and see if we can set him up that way. TC