Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-01-2020, 05:38 AM
Banned

Default 308 win to 6.5 Creedmoor

I’m just mulling around an idea. I have two .308 rifles and I’m wondering how difficult would it be to convert a savage .308 to a 6.5 creedmoor?
One is a Savage M10 TR and the other is a savage scout in .308 as well. If this is feasible, which one would you convert?

I just realized that this post should be in the Guns and ammo discussion.., sorry.

Last edited by trooper; 04-01-2020 at 05:47 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:07 AM
Banned

I don't know much about either rifle but being as they re both Savage's, it would be fairly easy to change if out. Get the barrel with the Savge threads, a set of go/no go gauges that your favorite gunsmith with have and thread it on.do it to whichever one you like. If you decide you don't like the particular cartridge on the one, you can always put it on the other. Savage makes this pretty simple with their barrel system.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
I’m just mulling around an idea. I have two .308 rifles and I’m wondering how difficult would it be to convert a savage .308 to a 6.5 creedmoor?
One is a Savage M10 TR and the other is a savage scout in .308 as well. If this is feasible, which one would you convert?

I just realized that this post should be in the Guns and ammo discussion.., sorry.
Takes no more than s few minutes , that is all it took for me to spin on barrel off an install the new barrel .
Order a Pre- fit McGowan barrel from Jerry at Mystic Precision, head space gauges and the wrench and you are set
Cat
Old 04-03-2020, 03:28 PM

Just get a new Savage barrel chamber in 6.5, U can do it or any gun smith
Old 04-04-2020, 03:20 PM

As other have said, it’s pretty easy once you have the right equipment.

Of the two guns you have as potential donors, I would say it comes down to this:
1. Which of the two do you use more?
2. What would you use the 6.5 for?
3. For the savage you leave a 308, what would you use it for?

Seems to me the scout is likely better suited for hunting (lighter). The 10TR would be better suited for target shooting (heavier barrel).

If you do go forward with the swap and don’t have plans for whichever 308 barrel you remove, send me a pm, I might be interested in your take off 308 barrel.
Old 04-16-2020, 02:48 PM
Banned

Thanks fellas, I think I'm going to keep the Savage M10 TR as I've been very lucky hunting with this rifle. The savage scout, I'm going to sell at some point as it's more than what I need.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:13 PM

I assume this could be done with any Tikka or Sako as well? If you found a prefit barrel it should be a easy swap from .308 - 6.5CM.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiekid View Post
I assume this could be done with any Tikka or Sako as well? If you found a prefit barrel it should be a easy swap from .308 - 6.5CM.
Not nearly as easily as a Savage because of their barrel nut
Cat