Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-28-2020, 04:11 PM

Default Pistol 9mm reloading - proper crimp?

This is my first time reloading for pistol calibers. I'm using a seater and crimp in one (roll crimp I think, hornady).

Is this properly crimped?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2020, 04:24 PM

Looks like a batch of 45 I loaded once. My guess is if you try and chamber a round it won’t because of the bulge. 9mm got cheap again so I just bought it rather than try and save a penny here or there. Rifle ammo is different but personally I don’t see much of a gain reloading for common pistol calibers.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:31 PM

I'd take the barrel out of your pistol and try fitting the round in it. It should drop in and drop out by gravity without having to force it.

Tight lines.......straight shooting
Old 03-28-2020, 04:32 PM

it chambers fine in my handgun and carbine.

Just cant tell if it is right or not. Any more advice folks?

I use 9mm to practice for loading a 45/70. And besides, reloading is fun ... when things flow right.

Old 03-28-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360hunt View Post
I'd take the barrel out of your pistol and try fitting the round in it. It should drop in and drop out by gravity without having to force it.
Yep. That's exactly what I did. Seems to chamber fine... just like factory ammo. I heard that bulges are a sign of over crimping, but this one feels like it barely has a crimp. that's why I reached out to the forum.

Btw.. the case is a dud... no powder and no primer.

Old 03-28-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegadeg2 View Post
Yep. That's exactly what I did. Seems to chamber fine... just like factory ammo. I heard that bulges are a sign of over crimping, but this one feels like it barely has a crimp. that's why I reached out to the forum.

Btw.. the case is a dud... no powder and no primer.

Considering it's a mock up test round.... try a light crimp on the next mock up round and try to press the bullet seating depth deeper by hand. You shouldn't be able to by hand. If you can then obviously you need a better crimp.
After that try loading up a couple to see how they perform before committing to loading up a few boxes.

Tight lines.......straight shooting
Old 03-28-2020, 09:02 PM

9 mm chambers on the case mouth, been a while, but think your'e supposed to use a taper crimp.

Grizz
Old 03-28-2020, 09:13 PM

That really looks like too much crimp to me. There should not be a bulge. I increase crimp until if fits the chamber (or case gauge) and that is about it. I just switched over the 650 to 9mm today so I just adjusted the crimp die LOL

Are you sure your Hornday dies are not taper crimp?
Old 03-29-2020, 08:33 AM

On second look that bulge may just be from the bullet and not the crimp but like grizz says, 9mm should be taper crimp because it chambers off the case mouth, not roll. You just need to crimp enough to get rid of the bell, if it's distorting the bullet at all it's too much.

Just check it's not too tight in a case gauge or your chamber.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Looks like a batch of 45 I loaded once. My guess is if you try and chamber a round it won’t because of the bulge. 9mm got cheap again so I just bought it rather than try and save a penny here or there. Rifle ammo is different but personally I don’t see much of a gain reloading for common pistol calibers.
What are you paying for 9mm in Montana? I can reload 9mm for $0.16 and 40 for $0.19. Even the steel cased barnaul is about $0.25 for 9mm
Old 03-29-2020, 09:12 AM

Rimless pistol cartridges shouldn’t be roll crimped. They headspace on the case mouth, need to have that sharp corner.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:13 AM

Make sure all cases being reload are he same length and head stamp, longer cases as well as thicker cases will cause that kind of bulge. With the proper taper crimp there should be no bulge, if it isn't too long a case and they are all t same make then you are getting too much crimp, back the die off till you get rid of the bulge.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:42 AM

There can be noticeable bulge from the bullet depending...
Cases are sized smaller than the bullet, that is what hold them in there.
The last batch of x metal 40's I got were .403. It hard to tell from the picture but it is quite easy to see the bulge if you are holding it.

Have had the same with 9mm where the bulge from the bullet is easy to see.

As long as they case gauge they are good to go.

By all means, sort by length and headstamp .... but I have never done it. I have never measured pistol case lenght.

I used to use the Hornady dies that seat and crimp in one step and they seemed to work fine but I did switch to a separate seating and crimping die. I think it is a little more forgiving for case differences.

Old 03-29-2020, 10:52 AM

I took a closer look at the pictures you posted, it does appear that the bulge you are seeing may be from the bullet diameter and may not be the result of the crimp action. It would be really easy to tell looking at an actual loaded round, much harder to be sure looking at the pictures. If it is just the bullet diameter expanding the case and the proper taper crimp is in place then you may not actually have an issue. Easiest way to be sure is to put a bullet beside the loaded case and see if the bulge stops exactly where the base of the bullet would stop inside the loaded case. If it doesn't, my earlier comments apply.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:19 AM

Measure with your caliper at the case mouth. Should be about 0.376 give or take.A wasp waist isn't uncommon for 9mm. Plated projectiles ?
Old 03-29-2020, 03:57 PM

Thanks everyone. I'm going to tinker with this and share what I find.

Off the top:
- I'm using hornady custom die set. It doesn't say what type of crimp, but it does not look like rolled crimp to me. I will likely get the lee factory crimper later.
- I'm very certain the slight bulge is because of the bullet. Seems to match the length of the bullet. Seems tight enough so the bullet doesn't press in by hand.

I will take a few more measurements, compare o factory round I.e. clambering in a safe barrel, try to increase and decrease the crimp to see how things change, try a few different headstamps...

Old 03-29-2020, 03:58 PM

And yes... plated bullets. Berry's 124gr
Old 03-29-2020, 03:59 PM

My problem - as of friday - is that I can't test any loaded live rounds anymore... but that's a different story
Old 03-30-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
And yes... plated bullets. Berry's 124gr
With plated I've found its best to just remove the flare. If you crimping a ring into the projectile it will cause accuracy issues. You can pull the projectile and see if you have swaged the bullet or not.Back of the crimp and sneak up to just a barely perceptible ring.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:07 PM

Removed

Last edited by npbra; 03-30-2020 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I'm going to tinker with this and share what I find.

Off the top:
- I'm using hornady custom die set. It doesn't say what type of crimp, but it does not look like rolled crimp to me. I will likely get the lee factory crimper later.
- I'm very certain the slight bulge is because of the bullet. Seems to match the length of the bullet. Seems tight enough so the bullet doesn't press in by hand.

I will take a few more measurements, compare o factory round I.e. clambering in a safe barrel, try to increase and decrease the crimp to see how things change, try a few different headstamps...

Are you maybe pushing the round too far into the seating die, adjustment should fix that.

Grizz
Old 03-30-2020, 02:45 PM

I gauge my crimp with the "finger test" method. After I seat a bullet, I feel for the sharp edge. Then, roll crimp with a Lee factory roll crimping die. Then, I feel again. It should have no sharp edge. And then I inspect to see if the crimp is satisfactory on every 10th or so case.

Works great in pistol caliber rifles.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:47 PM

Old 03-30-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
I gauge my crimp with the "finger test" method. After I seat a bullet, I feel for the sharp edge. Then, roll crimp with a Lee factory roll crimping die. Then, I feel again. It should have no sharp edge. And then I inspect to see if the crimp is satisfactory on every 10th or so case.

Works great in pistol caliber rifles.
Wrong crimp for a 9 MM. You WANT the sharp edge. The cartridge head spaces off that sharp edge.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Wrong crimp for a 9 MM. You WANT the sharp edge. The cartridge head spaces off that sharp edge.
Ahh...I did not know that. I've never loaded 9mm. I only load .357 and .44 magnum in the straight walled pistol calibers.

I learned something new today!
Old 03-31-2020, 07:12 AM

What you have is a bulge from the bullet. You only want a slight crimp on 9mm or .40. If you overcrimp you will get tumbling bullets and lose accuracy. I always chamber check all my match ammo and even my practice loads. I have about 5K of overcrimped rounds and they tumble in my pistols but shoot fine out of my 9mm PCC so I will use them in that firearm. I only use a Lee Factory crimp die for all my pistol reloading.