Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-19-2019, 08:32 AM

Default Wet tumblers

Looking to see what everyone is using for wet tumblers to clean your brass. I’ve tried the vibratory and ultrasonic but just was never overly impressed with either. I know sparkly clean brass isn’t necessary for accurate reloads but the OCD in me just really like shiny brass. So let’s here what you’re using and the pros and cons.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:38 AM

Hard to beat a rotary with pins. Definitely makes the cleanest brass inside and out. I wrote a thread on cleaning with a vibratory and liquid and it will clean the outside very well. I use my rotary to clean with Lemi shine and dish soap. After that I dry most of the way in a towel then I toss it into my vibratory with corn cob and a capful of nufinish polish. Vibratory dries the brass and then the polish stops the brass from tarnishing.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:45 AM

I have one, brass is like new inside and out. The process of separating brass and pins and then drying pins is a bit onerous. Overall I am pleased.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-19-2019, 08:49 AM

My wife gave me a Lyman Cyclone and it works really well. I think it was $265 for the complete package delivered. The biggest cons I see with this is the pin/brass screening system and the motor is not variable speed but that's an easy fix. Got it at Canadabrass.ca

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 01-19-2019, 09:12 AM

Ok cool, and I am more so looking for brands/models and the likes/dislikes of them.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:22 AM

I got one of the frankford arsenal ones back in the summer . It works really well and gets everything very clean . Tried going back to a regular tumbler just to see and that just turned into mild frustration
Old 01-19-2019, 09:30 AM

Default My process works well for me.

I tumble my brass in a dual drum rock tumbler.
I use stainless steel pins, warm water and a half teaspoon of Brass Monkey in each drum.
With the brass monkey you do not have to rinse as it leaves no residue.
I separate the pins with a rotary media separator. I turn it in both directions for about a minute and knocks all of the pins out of the brass.
Then I dry the brass and pins on a cookie sheet in my convection oven at about 170 F.
If you deprime the brass first with a decapping die the primer holes will also sparkle.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:26 AM
Banned

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=357248

Lots if good information in this thread started a short time ago (Jan 5th).

Using a F.A.R.T. (Frankford Arsenal Rotary Tumbler) with a couple of cap fulls of Armorall wash & wax and 1/4 tsp of lemishine.

The wash and wax seems to resist tarnish longer than just using Dawn, as most do.

It's not real critical to completely dry the pins but they should be rinsed well before storage.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhaulerhunter View Post
Looking to see what everyone is using for wet tumblers to clean your brass. I’ve tried the vibratory and ultrasonic but just was never overly impressed with either. I know sparkly clean brass isn’t necessary for accurate reloads but the OCD in me just really like shiny brass. So let’s here what you’re using and the pros and cons.
Thumler's tumbler here with stainless pins. It's originally a rock tumbler. Nice and heavy duty for brass use, all the way up to the BMG case. A little Dawn and a 9mm case full of Lemonshine, and very nice results every time.