Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-14-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Noooooo, savage axis are just awful. I bought one of these and couldn't get rid of it fast enough.
I got mine for next to nothing and have taken all my elk with it. It's nothing fancy but put's meat in the freezer.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisPbacon View Post
Get yourself a Savage Axis 7mm-08 with a good 3x9 scope and focus on shot placement. Low price and low recoil.
The Savage Axis isn't a bad gun... If you upgrade the stock and the trigger, and possibly the barrel. I really hate cleaning Savage barrels. They hold so much crapola (technical term for it).

I like the CZ and highly recommend them, but for the money, I'd buy a Hoya, and get the best scope that I could get with the left over cash.

Maybe the OP is willing to look at used, in which case I'd go after a CZ. Most new ones are selling for more than the OP is looking to pay for a gun and scope.

If the op wasn't opposed to used, maybe he could find a good used Kimber in his price range.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:23 PM

Tikka or Browning in that price range would be my preference.

Buy something that excites you, in the end it’s all about fun (and safety)

Cheers!
Old 01-14-2019, 02:27 PM

Default Savage axis

I agree there are better rifles. But here's the first group I shot using a new to me axis in 22-250. First shot west to sight in 2nd &3rd adjusted up 1.5 moa. next five were adjusted down .5 and L .5. Might not be pretty or nice but they do shoot well. If getting an animal into the freezer is the only objective an axis will not let you down. Pretty hard to have pride in the looks/ feel but like I said....not every sako or tikka can put a group like that together either so..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190103_152956.jpg (25.6 KB, 31 views)
Old 01-14-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badflies View Post
Hello all. I am a middle age dude who hasn't shot anything larger than varmit. I am looking into a first rifle and I'm overwhelmed by the selection. I would like to get something soon and get some time in at the range before the fall. I'm looking for deer and elk. I have lots of practice chucking slugs out of a lightweight 12 gauge and I'm a big guy so I don't think I would be recoil sensitive. I don't want a cannon though as I go through a fair bit of ammo at the range and some of it isn't cheap.
So I'm thinking $1000ish tops with a scope. Popular candidates look like a savage axis, Mossberg patriot or Remington 783 in 270, 6.5, or 308. I would love a Winchester 70 or Remington 700 but they look a little pricy.
What would you guys recommend? What should I avoid?
$1000 without the scope but i would choose this all day long.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=355047
Old 01-14-2019, 04:59 PM

hows about a Ruger predator 7-08 or 308
3x9
youre good to good mice to moose
Old 01-14-2019, 08:22 PM

[QUOTE=Flatlandliver;3911472]$1000 without the scope but i would choose this all day long.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=355047[/QUOTE

Good advice here.

I would buy used quality any day over entry level. Your 1K budget should get a very nice used T3 (designed to be cheap to manufacture but punch above their weight), Win 70, Ruger 77 or older Remington 700 with a decent scope. Watch the buy and sell here, watch Townpost, watch CGN, look on line. I don't think you would go wrong with a 270, 280, 7-08, 308 or 30-06.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:01 PM

There is nothing wrong with a Savage axis or a Ruger American as a mater of fact take the the Axis and put a quality scope on it and it will accurately kill a deer just as dead as a $2000 Tika and scope package. I had no trouble filling my deer tags for yrs with a $50 303 Lee Enfield and a Bushnel 3-9 scope.
You can spend all your money on the latest greatest deermageddon super rifle, chambered in some deer be gone super cartridge and come home empty because the gun is the weakest part of the equation .
Spending time at the range and learning to properly shoot your rifle and hit where you are aiming. That means trigger control, steadiness , and being comfortable with your gun as if it's an old friend are much more important.
I would rather hunt with a person that uses a 12ga break action shotty that know what they are doing and is competent than someone with a fancy asx rifle they think is going to make up for the fact they didn't bother to get to the range till the day before the season opened,but its ok because the money they spent means the dang rifle should hunt the deer itself.

Last edited by jungleboy; 01-14-2019 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
It seems to me there are more than a couple gun snobs on this site. There is nothing wrong with a Savage axis or a Ruger American as a mater of fact take the the Axis and put a quality scope on it and it will accurately kill a deer just as dead as a $2000 Tika and scope package. I had no trouble filling my deer tags for yrs with a $50 303 Lee Enfield and a Bushnel 3-9 scope.
You can spend all your money on the latest greatest deermageddon super rifle, chambered in some deer be gone super cartridge and come home empty because the gun is the weakest part of the equation .
Spending time at the range and learning to properly shoot your rifle and hit where you are aiming. That means trigger control, steadiness , and being comfortable with your gun as if it's an old friend are much more important.
I would rather hunt with a person that uses a 12ga break action shotty that know what they are doing and is competent than someone with a fancy asx rifle they think is going to make up for the fact they didn't bother to get to the range till the day before the season opened,but its ok because the money they spent means the dang rifle should hunt the deer itself.
It is also possible to buy good equipment and shoot it regularly and competently. Just because you spend a few bucks on a rig you like doesn't mean you don't know how to use it and haven't spent hours tuning it in. Everybody is entitled to use whatever gear they deem necessary.
Good grief
Old 01-14-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
It seems to me there are more than a couple gun snobs on this site. There is nothing wrong with a Savage axis or a Ruger American as a mater of fact take the the Axis and put a quality scope on it and it will accurately kill a deer just as dead as a $2000 Tika and scope package. I had no trouble filling my deer tags for yrs with a $50 303 Lee Enfield and a Bushnel 3-9 scope.

not gun snobs, OP asked for the best possible rifle/scope combo for a thousand bucks. had he asked for less or more money many here would try to advise on making the best possible decision with an eye to available funds. I try to make the most of my hard earned money just like everyone else. nothing wrong with a Savage or a Ruger, they are great entry level guns or for guys who have family commitments. these rifles are priced very attractively and will get you into the game. I know, I had guns like that at one time. over time, as I could afford it I upgraded. sorry if you feel insulted.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:26 PM
Banned

270 is your best I've got deer, moose and sasquatch with my baby
Old 01-14-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
It is also possible to buy good equipment and shoot it regularly and competently. Just because you spend a few bucks on a rig you like doesn't mean you don't know how to use it and haven't spent hours tuning it in. Everybody is entitled to use whatever gear they deem necessary.
Good grief
Relax my friend , you missed my point . All I am saying is you don't have to spend a pile of dough to get into this game . He said he had 1000 to spend . My thoughts are put the majority of that into the optics. A 1000 dollar T3 still needs a scope. A $400 Axis can get a decent scope and still be under budget.
You're right ,"gun snob" was out of line probably and I intended to edit that out but forgot . I apologize if I hurt feelings.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:52 AM

Lol, no hurt feelings. I'm probably a bit testy too. Wife quitting smoking combined with monthly friend.
On the plus side, garage has never been cleaner!
Old 01-15-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweb View Post
Get a weatherby vanguard in 270 or 308

The basic synthetic/black one I think runs around 750$

That will leave you a couple hundred for a scope
Excellent advice here. A Mossberg Patriot also punches above its weight IMO.

Please make use of the buy and sell here - while not always full of deals it does offer better equipment below box store costs, particularly on entry/budget equipment.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:08 PM

Default First Gun

I keep hearing really good things about the New Winchester XPRs. I will be buying something for my grandson soon, and I am likely to go that route.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:40 PM

You can pic up a used to almost new tikka t3x for 800 in stainless or 700 in blue,there's a as new 3006 on albertas town post for 850 stainless with riings,you may grab it for 800,200 bucks you can get a decent used scope,burris E1,bushnell 3200,3500 along with other brands.

Ammo is decent in 30 06 165 or so and plenty around,can kill any moose or elk easily ,or just look around for a 270 or 6.5.This stainless or blue is up to the owner,my rifles in blue shoot just as well as my stainless,plus they can be touched up cheap if you nick the bluing.

I can't see any reason not to get set up for 1000 bucks,there's tons of used stuff out there and not 60 year old deals where clips and stuff is hard to find.

There's also sales that pop up here and there,most good gun stores that move plenty of inventory grade there rifles when used and have in store gunsmiths to double check the rifle if you wish.Get them to email if it's good or excellent then you have proof on the condition they quoted you.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:28 PM

Default Lots of useful advice

I see quite a few people are recommending used which is something I never really considered. I am a little cautious as my own appraisal might not see any issues and if I were to get one in the mail I would just have to trust the seller. I even got a few PMs from the good folks here who might have a rifle to part with.
So what parts wear in a hunting rifle? I realize I'm not going to get a beautiful one in my price point so cosmetics are not really concerning. Stainless or blue is yet another thing to consider. My 12 gauge is a winchester in stainless and it seems to be holding up. My buddy has a rusty Mossberg that works just fine despite near complete negligence on his part. Can I assume rifles need a little more TLC?
Also thanks for all the help, you gun nuts sure are willing to share the knowledge!
Old 01-15-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I see quite a few people are recommending used which is something I never really considered. I am a little cautious as my own appraisal might not see any issues and if I were to get one in the mail I would just have to trust the seller. I even got a few PMs from the good folks here who might have a rifle to part with.
So what parts wear in a hunting rifle? I realize I'm not going to get a beautiful one in my price point so cosmetics are not really concerning. Stainless or blue is yet another thing to consider. My 12 gauge is a winchester in stainless and it seems to be holding up. My buddy has a rusty Mossberg that works just fine despite near complete negligence on his part. Can I assume rifles need a little more TLC?
Also thanks for all the help, you gun nuts sure are willing to share the knowledge!
I wanted stainless, but went with blued to get the quality action and caliber I wanted in the price I could afford. Asked on forums and it seems lots of folks hunt in bad weather with blued. My Vangaurd has spent quite a bit of time in the snow this fall and it seems to hold up well through its first season, though I am really good about keeping it oiled up and cleaning once home.

I was too nervous to buy used for my first 2 rifles, did not have the money to buy a mistake. Now if I got another I would look used as a bad deal will not ruin my season.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
The problem with used is that guys unload their rifles that won't shoot on unsuspecting nubes. This site is full of posts of guys unloading rifles they are not happy with. It put me off of used. Be careful buying used. Having said that their are lots of good used rifles as well. Buyer beware applies double for used rifles.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-15-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
The problem with used is that guys unload their rifles that won't shoot on unsuspecting nubes. This site is full of posts of guys unloading rifles they are not happy with. It put me off of used. Be careful buying used. Having said that their are lots of good used rifles as well. Buyer beware applies double for used rifles.
If you do a little checking on the seller ratings and their history it should help. If the seller only has 20 posts you may want to be suspicious but i have had really good success and met some good guys buying used from here.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360hunt View Post
Your best money spent would be to find an older well cared for rifle. I would suggest a rifle made at the Fabrique Nationale herstal armory in Belgium. These are extremely well made firearms that have a control round feed action. Usually go for $450-750.
As for caliber.......i'd say 30-06. By far the most versatile caliber for the game your hunting.
Good luck
This is good advice ! There are a lot of great high quality rifles available on the used market. Many of the pre 1990 offerings are simply superb and the prices are usually 40 -50% less than what you can buy over the counter today... warranty or not. Use the money you save to buy a top-end 'scope.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:22 PM

Sporterized .303 Lee Enfields go for around $150-300 , there’s usually a few for sale in Alberta on sites like gunpost that you could go see in person.
The thing with a 303 is they have a moderate recoil in a round that will put down anything you want to kill and are also very easy to shoot accurately with iron sights. My wife can hit a 1 gallon washer fluid jug at 100 yards with iron sights on my 1915 Lee Enfield and she barely shoots except the odd occasion she comes out with me. Ammo is easy enough to find at most Canadian tires / Cabela’s etc and is no more expensive than .270’s , .308’s etc.
Most people will write them off as an antiquated gun but if you do your part then that rifle will kill anything just as dead as a $1000 gun and scope will.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One6one View Post
Sporterized .303 Lee Enfields go for around $150-300 , there’s usually a few for sale in Alberta on sites like gunpost that you could go see in person.
The thing with a 303 is they have a moderate recoil in a round that will put down anything you want to kill and are also very easy to shoot accurately with iron sights. My wife can hit a 1 gallon washer fluid jug at 100 yards with iron sights on my 1915 Lee Enfield and she barely shoots except the odd occasion she comes out with me. Ammo is easy enough to find at most Canadian tires / Cabela’s etc and is no more expensive than .270’s , .308’s etc.
Most people will write them off as an antiquated gun but if you do your part then that rifle will kill anything just as dead as a $1000 gun and scope will.
"Just as dead" i love that term. You are right that if you fatally hit something the end result of death is the same dead as any other dead. But a $1000 scoped rifle will very much have more potential for a successful kill shot on game than an iron sighted rifle will be capable of in the common hunters hands. A scopes ability to collect light in dim conditions, fine crosshairs, unobstructed view around the point of aim, magnified view, sight alignment error with iron sights, not even being able to see your sights in low light... scopes are popular for a reason
Old 01-16-2019, 04:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisPbacon View Post
I got mine for next to nothing and have taken all my elk with it. It's nothing fancy but put's meat in the freezer.
Savage , economy,reliability, and most right-out -of-the-box will shoot better than 99% of the guys on the trigger will ever master,,,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (51.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 01-16-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
"Just as dead" i love that term. You are right that if you fatally hit something the end result of death is the same dead as any other dead. But a $1000 scoped rifle will very much have more potential for a successful kill shot on game than an iron sighted rifle will be capable of in the common hunters hands. A scopes ability to collect light in dim conditions, fine crosshairs, unobstructed view around the point of aim, magnified view, sight alignment error with iron sights, not even being able to see your sights in low light... scopes are popular for a reason
No argument from me on the scoped part. A scope is definitely going to make it easier. I just like to throw the old 303 option out there as it’s been such a good value gun for me and many others over the years.
The key point though regardless of what the fella gets is to practice practice practice !
A new gun in the $1000 range will definitely do the job and it definitely makes sense for a less experienced rifle shooter to capitalize on any option that increases the likelihood of a clean humane kill.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
When dealing with surplus rifles like Enfields, it's a lottery, some are decent shooters, some are horrible. Some of those customizing jobs are well done, some aren't. And it's not just what wears out that can cause issues. The name Bubba comes up fairly often, and Bubba has done many things that can cause a rifle to be inaccurate, unreliable, or even unsafe. Things like do it yourself trigger jobs, or destructive bedding jobs, or do it yourself barrel lapping, or poor fitting of accessories, can all cause issues. Some people shoot their rifle until the barrel is so hot, you can't hold your hand on the barrel, and then they shoot it some more, which greatly accelerates throat erosion. Some people build handloads until they can barely open the bolt after firing, which causes fatigue, which could lead to failures later on. I know someone that put lapping compound in the hinge joint of their o/u shotgun, because they wanted it to fall open on it's own when the release lever was actuated.

I have purchased many used firearms, and I haven't bought a lemon yet, but there is always a risk, especially when you don't now what you should be checking on a used firearm.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:17 PM

I have hunted with a Remington 700 in .308, and a Parker Hale safari deluxe 7mm. My new rig is a sako a7 in 308. If you have time before making a purchase, and are near to, and make somewhat frequent trips to bass pro/ cabelas/ gun store, my suggestion would be: Once you have decided on caliber, to watch the rack for the odd time something goes on clearance that isn’t advertised in the flyers or online. That way you are still buying new, and you have the possibility of buying a “higher end” gun at a reduced price, or getting the gun you want and having a few extra dollars for the scope.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Hello all. I am a middle age dude who hasn't shot anything larger than varmit. I am looking into a first rifle and I'm overwhelmed by the selection. I would like to get something soon and get some time in at the range before the fall. I'm looking for deer and elk. I have lots of practice chucking slugs out of a lightweight 12 gauge and I'm a big guy so I don't think I would be recoil sensitive. I don't want a cannon though as I go through a fair bit of ammo at the range and some of it isn't cheap.
So I'm thinking $1000ish tops with a scope. Popular candidates look like a savage axis, Mossberg patriot or Remington 783 in 270, 6.5, or 308. I would love a Winchester 70 or Remington 700 but they look a little pricy.
What would you guys recommend? What should I avoid?
Weatherby VGD2 in 270, or HOWA 1500, Talley Lightweight Ringmounts, Leupold VX1 3-9, or simlar style scope. HOWA's also come in combo's with Nikko Sterling scopes. They're OK for an entry level scope.
I have both brands and they are exceptionally accurate. Trigger break is nice too!
John 3:16
Firearms Owners are the difference between FREEDOM & TYRANNY!
Gun Control is Population Control