Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-19-2019, 05:32 PM

Default Rapalas are overpriced

Was looking to update some tackle. Can’t afford these lures anymore !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4D3E2A9B-E091-486E-8F7C-28D9B6EF9791.jpg (33.8 KB, 540 views)
Old 01-19-2019, 05:44 PM

Must be that particular pattern...
Old 01-19-2019, 06:04 PM

I would look around the store that has a $5700 item marked down to $15. Lol
Old 01-19-2019, 06:54 PM

You can buy almost the same hooks on ebay for very little. Just a thought.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:24 PM

$15-$16 for those really are overpriced. Probably $12 at Cabela’s.
Hard to understand how someone could put that price sticker thingy on there and not notice the $5000.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:45 PM

Get a wooden stick and do a little whittling, a little painting and screw a couple hooks into it and you have a home made rapala for the price of a couple treble hooks and a few drops of paint.
I made a "rapala" at the campfire one night and the next day I caught a few fish with it. Not even painted.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-19-2019, 10:03 PM

Amazon.ca is full of offshore knockoff tackle for cheap....

example: https://www.amazon.ca/Fishing-Life-l...960685&sr=8-13
Old 01-20-2019, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Get a wooden stick and do a little whittling, a little painting and screw a couple hooks into it and you have a home made rapala for the price of a couple treble hooks and a few drops of paint.

I made a "rapala" at the campfire one night and the next day I caught a few fish with it. Not even painted.

There’s a little more to it than that. I’m not justifying the prices, but whittling up a half dozen deep-divers and Clackers to run at 10-14 ft isn’t going to happen around a campfire.
I’ve seen Pike caught with a car key and a J hook. Yet I’ve never whittled up a crankbait, so good on ya.
The truth is your not going to find a Rapala for much cheaper, if any cheaper than you will at Cabela’s or Walmart. I have a friend on their pro-staff and he doesn’t pay that much less than I do. And he pays cost.
Rapala’s not the only crankbait in town, and unless your after a special action, other brands catch fish too. Yet unless you lose lots, there well worth the price to me. My great grandkids won’t need to buy tackle, since I’m a sucker for lures.
Sometimes lures catch fish, but they always catch fishermen.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:50 AM

What a great idea! I'm gonna try that car key trick just to say I did it
Old 01-20-2019, 06:58 AM

Some Rapalas were on sale at $5 in November. You have to shop the sales.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
As someone who builds lures yes you can build a lure that works carving a stick with a pocket knife but you are not going to be replacing all your rapala’s any time soon

I also know firsthand how difficult it is to reproduce an exact action and how slight differences in balance, weight, bill shape and angle throw things off

There is a lot more to it then just carving a stick but yes you can make a lure that works doing this
Old 01-20-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
Was looking to update some tackle. Can’t afford these lures anymore !
I would have shown them an add from another store, in the off chance they had a price match deal where they beat it by "X %" of the difference..lol
Old 01-20-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotChili View Post
I would have shown them an add from another store, in the off chance they had a price match deal where they beat it by "X %" of the difference..lol
I didn’t think of that.! Good idea. Glad you caught my sarcasm.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:17 PM

Default Rapalas

On the lesser Slave lake, a few years ago the limit on walleye 3 over 50cm.On a day the Rigs were not working very well,I tryed a large rapala ----very expensive one.Yep three 50cm plus landed.The next day a lot of the regulars had the same lure And CT sold out.They from time to time work very well.Fisherman live on hope, and are willing to pay for it.By the way the area I refer to was a small section of the lesser Slave Lake River,just down from the launch.The limit now one per day,saw a few high fifties cm ones caught this year.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Amazon.ca is full of offshore knockoff tackle for cheap....

example: https://www.amazon.ca/Fishing-Life-l...960685&sr=8-13
I’ve ordered my fair share of Chinese knock off hooks and you get what you pay for. Not horrendous, but not very sturdy and action can be wonky.

Considering the knockoffs don’t really run true and don’t have the best action, whittling rapala replacements that have the same action and run at the right depths seems fairly far fetched.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post
I’ve ordered my fair share of Chinese knock off hooks and you get what you pay for. Not horrendous, but not very sturdy and action can be wonky.

Considering the knockoffs don’t really run true and don’t have the best action, whittling rapala replacements that have the same action and run at the right depths seems fairly far fetched.
I never claimed the whittled rapala had the same action but it did prove to me that I could catch fish with the most basic of lures. I weighted it with a piece of wire wrapped around the wood close to the leader end.

I love rapalas but cannot justify filling my tackle box with them at today's prices. I had a tackle box stolen that had a couple hundred dollars worth of rapalas in it and I'm still mad for the loss.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-20-2019, 08:29 PM

I've made my share of home made lures, be it plugs /top water plugs/Spinner baits or hand tied jigs and have had success with them . Nothing quite as satisfying as catching fish on one your own creations. I did buy some rattle rap knock offs late in fall but have yet to try them ,5 lures in a plastic lure box for $14 seemed an easy gamble to take. They seem to be very well made , I guess I'll find out in the spring if they were worth the risk.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:01 AM

Yea I started making gear a few years ago, I won't go back. If I buy a lure now I am desperate, I want to knock it off or they are Len Thompsons.

Be assured I probably spend a bit more on gear every year so you don't actually save money you just have way more stuff.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:28 AM

Got a handful of Keystone Light knock-offs from a liquor store in Peace River last year for free. Haven't tried them yet but they actually look quite well made and the price was right.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:18 AM

Default Big picture

Many people from Calgary make the aprox 5 hour drive to Lesser slave every year, sometimes twice---towing a trailer no less--have to make a liquor store stop--Oh yes the gas.No compromise on tackle at this point----
Old 01-21-2019, 08:05 PM

Default I bought some crankbaits from Fishon Lures and Tackle.

I think I paid $6.50. or so.
I have tried them in a bunch of Southern Alberta Lakes and Reservoirs.
Caught tons of pike walleye and a few big rainbows.
There website is fishonlt.com
Old 01-21-2019, 10:24 PM

You should go to the front and ask for a price match....see if they will give you 5745 off something.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
As someone who builds lures yes you can build a lure that works carving a stick with a pocket knife but you are not going to be replacing all your rapala’s any time soon

I also know firsthand how difficult it is to reproduce an exact action and how slight differences in balance, weight, bill shape and angle throw things off

There is a lot more to it then just carving a stick but yes you can make a lure that works doing this
X10 in my experience. I hanmd build 9" versions of Shadraps that will dive to 35' for pike, muskies and big walleyes...and they work.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:22 PM

I also made a flatfish, like the store bought 'kwikfish K5, from the tip of a whitetail antler and it was a nice weighed flatfish for deep water. Unfortunately it got stolen with my tackle box full of rapalas.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:09 AM

I buy Rapala's once a year only, at The Fishin Hole's annual summer sale, 50-70% off everything. I do 90% of my annual shopping at that sale