Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-17-2012, 08:43 AM

Question Well the wife is really considering to start hunting :)

Well she is thinking about joining the hunting world (finally) So A few questions, when I send her for her hunters conservation/safety course Would I be able to go with her and just sit in as a bystander?? What would be a good gauge of shotty for her to hunt upland birds with and geese hopefully. And what are your guys thoughts on a well fitting 7mm-08 or 25-06 for a lady? Or would I be better going with a 243 or a 270? I dont have much experience in regards to smaller calibers, Only have shot 30-06, 300win mag and 7mmrem mag, I know that either of those three, she will not be interested in shooting lol
Old 06-17-2012, 08:51 AM

Default ~!

Congrats! I got my fiance out there with a .243 youth model, which she loves and I'm thinking of getting a .410 in case we encounter some birds together this fall.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:56 AM

Go easy with her winger .. a gopher hunt session would probably get her hooked for sure . Everybody can handle a 22 and it makes a good place to start . Larger firearms can be added after as you find out what she's interested in hunting . Most instructors won't mind you in the class as long as you stay quiet and don't start trying to teach it .. lol.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:12 AM

For big game, I'd start her with a .243 and some good bullets like the 80gr TTSX, or else a PT, AB, or ~100gr C&C bullet. The last thing you want, is to set her up with something like a light 75-80gr C&C bullet and have her hit bone and potentially have a long tracking job, etc. The .243 is plenty of gun for any WT or MD, but you need to use good bullets to ensure adequate penetration and tissue damage. The 80gr C&C's can kill deer, and I've killed and seen kill my fair share with them, but you don't want to take chances when you're trying to make a good first impression on your wife
Old 06-17-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Go easy with her winger .. a gopher hunt session would probably get her hooked for sure . Everybody can handle a 22 and it makes a good place to start . Larger firearms can be added after as you find out what she's interested in hunting . Most instructors won't mind you in the class as long as you stay quiet and don't start trying to teach it .. lol.
Gophers are a no go with her, shes not into killing things, just to kill em know what I mean, she will if we take em home and make a stir fry
Old 06-17-2012, 09:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
Well she is thinking about joining the hunting world (finally) So A few questions, when I send her for her hunters conservation/safety course Would I be able to go with her and just sit in as a bystander?? What would be a good gauge of shotty for her to hunt upland birds with and geese hopefully. And what are your guys thoughts on a well fitting 7mm-08 or 25-06 for a lady? Or would I be better going with a 243 or a 270? I dont have much experience in regards to smaller calibers, Only have shot 30-06, 300win mag and 7mmrem mag, I know that either of those three, she will not be interested in shooting lol
Went through this a few years ago.

Started slow with a 22 and popping gophers.
She had fun doing that so...I just kept exposing her to more guns...a variety of calibres.
In the end...she isn't recoil shy but does have a weak grip from carpel tunnel so it came down to what wasn't too heavy for her to carry and what she could hold well off hand shooting.

She is now carrying an entry level 7-08 most of the time.

Of the choices you mentioned.

I'd stick to that or maybe the 270 or 06.
25-06 is a bit pricey... has just as much recoil as the others and the ammo isn't as common.

Might as well just go 12 gauge on the shotty unless you want something like a 410 for grouse.
The 12 will be cheaper to shoot though...and more general purpose...

I would also recommend that you consider how much you want to spend....and whether it is worth it.

Will she stick to hunting?
Is this something she'll do even if you aren't around?

I know my wife will probably never hunt on her own... or hunt again period if I drop dead tomarrow.

So...do you buy the gun that you want to inherit if she quits or the one that is more affordable and not really expected to see heavy life time use?

I inherited her first centre fire because her hands got worse...1500 dollars worth of very nice magnum rifle that I don't really need.

The replacement is a Marlin XL with an Elite 3200 scope... which is probably going to last her a lifetime and rang it at about 600 bucks total cost.

Last edited by Big Daddy Badger; 06-17-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:13 AM

Just got my wife into it this year, I got her a 25-06 and she has been shooting it with no problems. This will be her first season hunting, and she is very exited.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Gophers are a no go with her, shes not into killing things, just to kill em know what I mean, she will if we take em home and make a stir fry
Use garlic .. LOTS OF GARLIC .. LOL .
Old 06-17-2012, 11:25 AM

Start her off with something smaller until she's familiar and comfortable shooting. Personally I love the 12 gauge for birds, but a .410 might be better suited to her if she's new to shooting. I used the 25-06 for my first hunt and the .22 for fun target shooting. Have myself a .303 and plan on buying a 7mm or even .300 next. Once she's used to shooting the recoil won't be a big issue in my opinion...
Old 06-17-2012, 11:27 AM
sheephunter

Personally, I'd let her go on her own so she doesn't have you looking over her shoulder. She'll do just fine at the course....likely better than if you were there.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
Went through this a few years ago.

Started slow with a 22 and popping gophers.
She had fun doing that so...I just kept exposing her to more guns...a variety of calibres.
In the end...she isn't recoil shy but does have a weak grip from carpel tunnel so it came down to what wasn't too heavy for her to carry and what she could hold well off hand shooting.

She is now carrying an entry level 7-08 most of the time.

Of the choices you mentioned.

I'd stick to that or maybe the 270 or 06.
25-06 is a bit pricey... has just as much recoil as the others and the ammo isn't as common.

Might as well just go 12 gauge on the shotty unless you want something like a 410 for grouse.
The 12 will be cheaper to shoot though...and more general purpose...

I would also recommend that you consider how much you want to spend....and whether it is worth it.

Will she stick to hunting?
Is this something she'll do even if you aren't around?

I know my wife will probably never hunt on her own... or hunt again period if I drop dead tomarrow.

So...do you buy the gun that you want to inherit if she quits or the one that is more affordable and not really expected to see heavy life time use?

I inherited her first centre fire because her hands got worse...1500 dollars worth of very nice magnum rifle that I don't really need.

The replacement is a Marlin XL with an Elite 3200 scope... which is probably going to last her a lifetime and rang it at about 600 bucks total cost.
Well one can never have to many guns Since I have a 887nitromag, an sks, a cooey600 and my S&L 60DL rechambered to 7mmremmag. I HAVE ALOT of room to go before I have to many I was thinking the mossberg 4X4, but after I played with one at the store the bolt was real sloppy and I was not interested in it anymore, athough the savage Axis did peak my interest. I will definatly top of what ever rifle with a nice vortex though
Old 06-17-2012, 03:02 PM

I would absolutely recommend a 7mm-08! Light weight but accurate, a perfect fit for ladies...Great rifle for big game, and I use it especially for the mountains since it's so nice to carry! The ol' man's always complaining that he wants to trade rifles when it comes to carrying them. Many animals agree it's deadly!
Old 06-17-2012, 03:06 PM

x2 on 7mm 08 its a great calibre and will drop anything with good shot placement
Old 06-17-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepgirl View Post
I would absolutely recommend a 7mm-08! Light weight but accurate, a perfect fit for ladies...Great rifle for big game, and I use it especially for the mountains since it's so nice to carry! The ol' man's always complaining that he wants to trade rifles when it comes to carrying them. Many animals agree it's deadly!
x2....the 7-08 is a tough one to beat for recoil, on game performance, and versatility IMO.

Start out doing some shooting with a 22LR and possibly a 223 or a 243, but my advice would be get a nice FITTING 7-08 (or similar) and get out and do some shooting.

As for sitting in on a Hunter's Ed course, I wouldnt see a reason why you wouldnt be able to sit in. My suggestion is see if she has any friends interested and have them go together. I think they'd have a good time learning together and could come out further ahead. My wife actually never took the course, but she studied and came out with us a few times and passed the test after challenging it. I think she'll most likely take the CORE course here in BC just to see what its all about and get some good knowledge.

Good luck out there!!!
Old 06-17-2012, 03:27 PM

Good for Miss Winger... I got my wife into hunting with me about 30 years ago after we got married. She had a lot of fun and shot some great animals. That was before she got attacked by a couger while bow hunting elk with me, put an end to her hunting, thank god for kids or I would still be hunting alone.
7mm 08 would be a great caliber for her... Don't burn her out of hunting thought if you know what I mean..

Jim...
Old 06-17-2012, 03:49 PM

Get her into a 243, light recoil and like many will tell you, shot placement is key. Once she gets familiar with that rifle and would like to chase some bigger game, you could always step her up to the 7-08 and then she would have 2 guns which would be good for almost anything but if she plans on sticking with just deer, the 243 is plenty good enough. It has to be the most common for the wives in our group.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
x2....the 7-08 is a tough one to beat for recoil, on game performance, and versatility IMO.

Start out doing some shooting with a 22LR and possibly a 223 or a 243, but my advice would be get a nice FITTING 7-08 (or similar) and get out and do some shooting.

As for sitting in on a Hunter's Ed course, I wouldnt see a reason why you wouldnt be able to sit in. My suggestion is see if she has any friends interested and have them go together. I think they'd have a good time learning together and could come out further ahead. My wife actually never took the course, but she studied and came out with us a few times and passed the test after challenging it. I think she'll most likely take the CORE course here in BC just to see what its all about and get some good knowledge.

Good luck out there!!!
RM she has shot guns before, .22's my old 410, and a couple handguns, nothing in rifle form with any power lol. I am thinking im gonna go with the 7-08. I love the 7mm caliber and then I can convince her a little further to get into reloading But I have wanted to add a smaller rifle to the collection and I think that the 08 would be a welcome addition to the house hold. Now to find a spot for a reloading bench bahaha
Old 06-17-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
RM she has shot guns before, .22's my old 410, and a couple handguns, nothing in rifle form with any power lol. I am thinking im gonna go with the 7-08. I love the 7mm caliber and then I can convince her a little further to get into reloading But I have wanted to add a smaller rifle to the collection and I think that the 08 would be a welcome addition to the house hold. Now to find a spot for a reloading bench bahaha
Yep no doubt the 7-08 is a great choice then. A guy can load up some really light (reduced recoil) reloads too if you want to build some good muscle memory and have some fun. Really hard to beat that 7-08 thought as a good all-around gun with low recoil.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:59 PM

Default I wish I could get my wife to hunt!

But I have a son that is "if it move shot it". Back to the guns I started my son at 11 yrs old with a youth Rem. 870 in 20 ga with interchangable chokes, his first bird with it, was a big hooker at about 25 yards, as he got bigger I just put a slip-on recoil pad over the stock recoil pad (just to add some length). To get her started, the Sherwood Park F&G has skeet shooting on wednesday nights as well as sundays, $5.00 for 25 clays. No membership required for the skeet shoots, just show up. As for a rifle he is shooting a 257 Weatherby that his grandfather gave him (too much gun to start with). I with most everyone else 7mm-08 would the caliber. My son at 11 didn't weight 60 lbs and was under 4' 8" so a 20 ga would be perfect for your wife. After my son was finished with the 20 ga. I sold it here on the forum in two days.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:15 PM
Banned

Another plug for the 7mm-08 from me. I just finished re-reading an article on the 6.5 Creedmore which is touted as one of the best new things to come our way. Yet, on more than one occasion, the writters compare it to the 7-08. Truly a superb performer in a short action, tolerable recoil, inherently accurate, plenty of energy to put meat on the table from WT deer to moose. Good factory ammunition to reloading components availability. Easy on brass, likes many powders, just a plain easy cartridge to get along with. The short of it......great choice.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:

If you go see Cheryl at Lane Archery for the course I think she well let you sit in, when my son took it I sat in with him for a few lessons until he was comfortable with everyone, Cheryl said I could stay for all of them if I wanted to. I highly recommend her she is a very good teacher and knows her stuff inside and out.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:37 PM

It can be done online as well.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:41 PM

Hunter safety course here is only offered Feb/Mar. I am enrolling my wife for the next one. She says she will never go hunting but I still want her to take the course just so she is trained & will know how to handle firearms
Old 06-17-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KN12313 View Post
But I have a son that is "if it move shot it". Back to the guns I started my son at 11 yrs old with a youth Rem. 870 in 20 ga with interchangable chokes, his first bird with it, was a big hooker at about 25 yards, as he got bigger I just put a slip-on recoil pad over the stock recoil pad (just to add some length). To get her started, the Sherwood Park F&G has skeet shooting on wednesday nights as well as sundays, $5.00 for 25 clays. No membership required for the skeet shoots, just show up. As for a rifle he is shooting a 257 Weatherby that his grandfather gave him (too much gun to start with). I with most everyone else 7mm-08 would the caliber. My son at 11 didn't weight 60 lbs and was under 4' 8" so a 20 ga would be perfect for your wife. After my son was finished with the 20 ga. I sold it here on the forum in two days.
lol, well the wife is almost a 6 footer, and shes no skinny @ss bone rack. Shes handled weapons, er tools to collect food before, but I dont want her to not enjoy shooting. I like my 7mag, after spending an hour or two at the range, I end up getting beat up a bit, but I like that, her I feel she would not like that as much. I want her to have a rifle that is capable at taking an elk in the future (saves on having to buy 2 for her) but one that wont beat her up. Whe she hits the 300yrd gong at the range I want her to be able to enjoy it, and not be afraid to throw a bunch more at it
Old 06-17-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Whe she hits the 300yrd gong at the range I want her to be able to enjoy it, and not be afraid to throw a bunch more at it
Sounds like a perfect candidate for the .243.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:05 PM

Try even starting with some clays or just even a little target practise, it can be a lot of fun also. Then out to the field for some birds the instinct from shooting clays will kick in and then it will be you sitting at home watching the kids while she is out hunting birds.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawfy View Post
Try even starting with some clays or just even a little target practise, it can be a lot of fun also. Then out to the field for some birds the instinct from shooting clays will kick in and then it will be you sitting at home watching the kids while she is out hunting birds.
If by watching the kids while shes out hunting you mean the chiuaua and the 2 cats, great give dakota some field time while in at work working the evening shift lol

Thats not a bad idea the clays, gives some challenge and also some pride for making the shot I mean I could always do a follow up shot in the feild but under a more controlled situation, it would be fun for her

Dumb question but I really have no idea, But since shes over 18 she can shoot a firearm without a pal/pol aslong as Im in a certain distance??
Old 06-17-2012, 11:44 PM

When my son was 10 I bought him a 7mm-08 and he stated shooting it. He had no issues with it. His first year hunting last year and he shot a wt buck a doe and a moose. He shot the moose at 300 yards. This spring he shot a bear. We reload and use 168 burgers and this gun shoots awesome with tolerable recoil. He shoots 2" groups at 200 yards consistently. I am very impresses with this calibre and I would choose it hands down over a 243. Compared to a 243 ther is way more bullet selection. Just my opinion.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:47 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Dumb question but I really have no idea, But since shes over 18 she can shoot a firearm without a pal/pol aslong as Im in a certain distance??
Yup...arm's length and you are good to go.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:45 AM

Don't over look the 308 win...very versatile...My wife just learned to shoot and took up hunting. I got her a Rem VTR in 308 and she loves it...with the built in muzzle brake it is a dream to shoot with almost no recoil. Since she got hers, 2 other women I know have bought the same rifle and find the same, having had no problems with recoil. If you want to stick to a 7mm then yes the 7mm08 is a fine choice but again the old standby 7x57 is a great choice as well.

Jim