Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-10-2012, 01:13 PM
Banned

Default Sherwood park archery, you better have a month

Took my bow to get a new string in sp on may 5....still waiting. I was told two weeks. I phoned back June first and was told the string was still coming lmao they don't even build them just press & install. I have a 3D shoot coming in 6 days.still waiting, should have went to trophy book. I even knew better just didn't want to drive that far. So if you need bow work & you want your gear back before your shooting at bleeding targets do not go there unless of course your 'buddy buddy' sorry for ranting, furious. A very poor way to conduct business IMO!!
Old 06-10-2012, 06:29 PM

Buy a portable press, order the string, and install yourself. Done

It's such an easy thing to do, I'm really shocked that anyone with a few years of shooting wouldn't do their own. Also having a portable press for field repairs or tuning is such an asset regardless.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:33 PM

Take it to Cabelas and ask for Lawerence.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:42 PM

^^^^

Yup he is a great guy....I would suggest going during the day during the week though...

LC
Old 06-11-2012, 08:14 AM

i took my bow in the on may 7, for a new string and a D loop, still waiting. I am stopping there today and picking it up if its ready or not, i better get a full refund or i will rip him a new one. I will never go back there again, if i ran my company like that i would be broke. I nave never seen a bigger collection of clowns in my life. i will never recommend this **it hole to anyone, as a matter of fact, i will go out of my way to tell people how bad the service is.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:25 AM

On opening day last fall I went to draw on a great mule deer buck. Just before I hit full draw my string derailed and sent my hand thru my strings. Made the 3 hour drive back to Sherwood park to get a new string put on. They told me it would take a day to restring. Well long story short 3 weeks later I had my bow back. I phoned everyday till I finally got it back. I will never give them my buisness again. I should have done that after I bought a dozen arrows and went to shoot them and all the fletching fell off lol

Place has gone down hill since Joe left.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:29 AM

I agree 100% Buckbrush, Dallas (Owner) has a terrible attitude!! But living in Sh Pk it is nice to stop in for quick items. Not anymore, Lawrence at Cabelas and his staff (1 guy who left Sh Ph Archery) much much better!!

Buckbrush, I work with your step dad athe U and know WF from CNH in the Fort. I saw your buck at Rp, very nice! I picked up my buck from 2010, good to have him home.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:33 AM

Hate to say..... but I took my wife in there as we were looking for a new bow for her. The guy who works there basically insulted her in the fact she was a woman and probably not tough enough to pull certain poundages....what he prob didn't realize is she is dang tough, has worked at a stables for many years and been around horses etc....just cause she looks purdy don't mean she isn't tough

My almighty dollar was spent elsewhere....and will be in the future.

LC
Old 06-11-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
My almighty dollar was spent elsewhere....and will be in the future
that right there SHOULD be a business owners worst nightmare
Old 06-11-2012, 09:55 AM
Banned

X2 on things going to s*** since Joe left.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:58 AM

What kind of shift does Lawrence work at cabelas?

Was going to give SPA one last shot this week. Looking to get the gf a bow.

After reading this I'm not going to bother with SPA.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:10 AM

I purchased a bow from them last summer, had a good experience with getting it all set up, and Dallas did a good job getting everything tuned in for me. The employee that now works at Cabelas was my sales person. Great to deal with, and very friendly. However, I have gone there a few times since to shoot the lanes, and I have to say....if you aren't a regular in there, you sure get treated like a piece of garbage! I will likely never go back there unless I need something warranty related!

I love my Hoyt! I wish other places in Edmonton area sold them! Bought both my kids bows at trophy book. Besides the insane prices on accessories, trophy book has amazing staff! Love the service you get there. The older lady that works there is awesome with my little girls as well! They really like shooting there!
Old 06-11-2012, 11:04 AM

Man, I've had completely the opposite experience. Outstanding service.
Although I did buy my bow there, I'm certainly not buddies with anyone there, and definitely not a regular.
I had some issues with my bow before the last long weekend, took it in friday afternoon, and was told they'd call me next week and let me know.
I looked at my phone later in the afternoon, realized I'd missed a call to come pick up my bow. Only a couple of hours and it was good to go. When I got there they had me shoot for a bit, and did a couple of more tweaks, sent me on my way with my bow shooting as good as ever.
My experiences in the half dozen times I've been in there have been excellent.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:22 AM

Same issues with me. I took my wife in for a bow and they were very rude in helping us so my wife got mad and we left (she bought her bow at cabelas who treated her like gold.) Then on a second occasion I was in looking at buying a new carbon matrix and asked to shoot it. I got a "well I aint gonna set it up for you". I shot it and left. Will not spend my money in store that makes me feel like some kind of outsider.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:03 PM
Banned

Got my bow back today. No call just showed up & intended on picking it up done or not. It was done. Two limb savers missing, replaced no questions asked. Probably won't go back , but no public bashing either. The owners closing statement makes me resent putting up this post ' as long as your happy & whatever works for you' glad it's done. Just ordered a bow press online. Thanks rackmaster
Old 06-11-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post
Man, I've had completely the opposite experience. Outstanding service.
Same here - always outstanding service and all the staff have been super helpful to me and my 4 year old now tearing it up at the shooting lanes. I don't envy Dallas or his staff in dealing with the attitudes and self-serving know-it-alls I've seen walk through the door, or for being at the mercy of his suppliers. Whaaat ?

As can be seen by some of the posts on this thread, I'd say it's more the negativity so prevalent on this forum than anything SPAL does or could do. Just part of the usual rotation of bashing threads and bandwagon haters - I'd posts all the previous thread links on "Cabelas sucks", "Wholesale Sports sucks", "Trophy Book sucks", "SPAL sucks" etc, but it would likely exceed the sites bandwidth. Bravo guys !
Old 06-11-2012, 04:44 PM

Sorry to the guys who feel I am bashing their go-to-guy....maybe he was having a bad day when I went in there....sadly it was the attitude that made me go elsewhere.

I don't know the guys name and maybe that is the issue. I think I am pretty easy to get along with....

I can share my experience good or bad just like anyone else on a forum....I am just sharing my experience so take it FWIW.

LC
Old 06-11-2012, 06:28 PM

Was looking for 2 new bows last year for me and my son went in there stood around for 15 mins while workers were outside smoking or standing at counter talking b.s and was ignored...left and went over to trophy book and was immediately looked after and we purchased 2 new bows set up and a couple targets. Guess some businesses do not care!
Old 06-11-2012, 08:09 PM

I brought my old browning bow in there that i bought in Toronto. they tuned it up for free and let me shoot for a couple hours for free. then i bought my new bow there the next season and they hooked me up with a new hoyt. ya they are a little rough around the edges, but if you cant take the heat, stay outta the kitchen. i work around smack talking army guys all day, i just dish it right back to him if he (Dallas) gives me a hard time. it did throw me off at first, but we give eachother the gears all the time now, i think hes a knowledge guy and id even call him my buddy.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:41 PM

Default great service tell your friends bad tell everyone!!!!

these guys forgot the golden rule! I stopped going as well. When they first took over I was in to purchase a bow hunt dvd. I picked it up than changed my mind.so I went to the counter to pay for my arrows. first thing out of his mouth" where is the dvd you had in your hands" i placed the arrows down and said "what are you asking" oh nothing. ya thats right nothing! walked out. Joe was the best but it does not mean they could not have continued the true service he provided..... just my bang for my buck
Old 06-12-2012, 06:30 PM

Bought three bows there when Joe was there. One for me and two for the kids. Went in there to SPA two years ago with the wife intending to spend money and we ended up walking out of there. The wife couldn't believe how bad the service was. We haven't been back in two years and have no plans to stop back in. We have had great service and bought a bow from Jimbo's, and a bow from Wholesale which gave decent service.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:58 PM

I was in SPA right at the time Dallas bought the business from Joe, and I wasn't very impressed with his attitude at that time, but I let it slide and went in several months later to buy some accessories. My second experience was exactly the same as the first time and I walked out without spending a single cent.

Dallas needs to put his ego and attitude aside and put the customer first. I gave him 2 chances and there won't be a 3rd. Trophy Book has ALL of my business now.

I'll bet Joe and Gwen have heard what there beloved business has turned in to and I'd bet my bottom dollar that they're mortified. They are wonderful people.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:37 AM

Sherwood park archery is the worst archery place ever. All the employees there need to come down off there high horses. The way I got treated in there was horrible! Heres to sherwood park archery going tits up.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:35 PM

Default New Archery Support

A young fella on RR 222 just south of the Ardrossan Water Tanks. Does an awesome job and service is excellent. I think it is Adreniline Archery. He makes the strings there.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:44 PM

I figured I would weigh in to this thread.

I am brand new to archery and live in Sherwood Park. I went in to SPA today with a fellow forum member(Champion), also new to archery. We were meeting a friend of mine so Champion could shoot his bow and maybe purchase it.

Well turns out that Champion is some sort of gorilla and and my buddies 29" bow wouldn't cut the mustard.

While they were shooting the used bow I grabbed one off the shelf and started trying it out.

Dallas let us shoot on the lanes for free and him and his guys also gave us pointers.

In the end Champion ended up getting into a new bow that fit him properly and I was happy with the one I had found. After we shot for awhile another patron who's a regular came in to shoot with his family and I ended up buying his used bow and shot it for awhile. I did pick up a few small items from the store as well.

In the end I have nothing but good things to say about Sherwood Park Archery. I guess sometimes we have bad experiences and sometimes good ones with any store.

Today was my good one.

Kudos to Dallas for earning my business

Tags
bow, restring, sherwood park archery