Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-07-2013, 01:33 PM

Default Fishing kayaks

Hey guys I am planning on purchasing a fishing kayak and was hoping a few of you have a little advice on what to get. Any help would be great. Thanks
Old 07-07-2013, 02:32 PM

make sure it's something you can haul to the water and back. you don't need a huge one (although mine is 12')

you'll want at least one rod holder, but you can use aftermarket ones.

wider is more stable, I can fly cast from mine while kneeling without much worry.

if you can afford it, get a hobie with the mirage pedal drive, I love my kayak for trolling and the mirage drive would be a big asset over paddles

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 07-07-2013, 06:20 PM

...I recently purchased the Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3. Well built, plenty of storage ability and set up to recieve Scotty base mounts for rod holder's etc. Has 6 built in rod holders. Picked up a kayak/canoe cart from MEC for transport. Awesome boat.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:42 AM
Banned

I have a Ocean Kayak Trident 13 great kayak. Mod pod on storage hatch is a great way for attaching Scotty products. Light weight, good storage.
Would also check out Jackson Coosa or Cuda or Wilderness Systems Ride series. Really all depends on your preferences and where you'll use it most. Check out Canadiankayakanglers.com
Old 07-08-2013, 09:09 AM

My Jackson kayak big tuna is 14.1 feet long lol hauling it isn't to bad to my truck.
Has a livewell in the middle , two rod holders in the rear and also comes with a Ram rod holder mount for you to mount anywhere, it comes GoPro ready so u can mount the camera anywhere, good for two people.

Just started kayak fishing and wow is it ever fun!

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 07-08-2013, 10:00 AM

2nd year for this rig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ocean Kayak Torque.jpg (24.2 KB, 99 views)
Old 07-08-2013, 10:35 AM

Damn that is a nice boat. Thanks for all the info guys. Much appreciated. This will help me make my final choice.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:39 AM

damn that torque is really nice, I would get that if I didn't need a doubles kayak

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 07-08-2013, 10:18 PM

Lots of choices out there, my NWC is a sit in design that is stable enough to stand in and cast, if you dare. Very light weight, effortless to paddle and has a super comfortable seat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NWC cayac.jpg (116.2 KB, 44 views)
Old 07-09-2013, 11:04 AM

Default Kayak

Get one that you can sit in all day and you stay comfortable there's nothing worse then haveing a sore @$$ halfway through
Old 07-09-2013, 12:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bark284 View Post
Get one that you can sit in all day and you stay comfortable there's nothing worse then haveing a sore @$$ halfway through
Get a good one you can stand and cast. Mine I do all the time. Blows boaters minds when they see it too.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:36 PM

Default G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Yaker View Post
Get a good one you can stand and cast. Mine I do all the time. Blows boaters minds when they see it too.
How much was yours
Old 07-09-2013, 02:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bark284 View Post
How much was yours
$1080 there abouts its 13.6 feet long,58lbs. The trident 11 is around $950. Pretty much any OK, Jackson or Wilderness are all made for anglers to stand. All close to same price range. Consider shipping costs and weight when making a selection as well. I went with OK based on weight and the fact I could pick one up here in Edmonton at the fishn hole.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:36 PM

I have a big tuna on order, too bad it won't make the trip to dore with us this year, but then we do have the big boat to make up for it.

with any luck the bow will be driftable in a few weeks, sure would like to map out the new geography.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:03 PM

I paddle a Jackson Cuda and like it a lot. The only thing I would like at times is a smaller kayak in the twelve foot range when it comes to running rivers or transporting on land. I did build a kayak cart which works well. Standing up is fun but not something I do unless it is warm weather. (I can't afford a dry suit) Choose a boat based on how it paddles instead of stand up ability. WS Tarpon 120 is the best all around SOT kayak in my opinion. Have fun, paddling a decent kayak kicks butt on pontoon boats unless you're in serious whitewater. Try to paddle a few before you spend your hard earned money.......my two bits. 👍
Old 07-09-2013, 06:28 PM

One question would be what is your budget and where are you going to use it?

I run a Hobie pro angler 12 with the new style seat. I can stand up in it. It will keep up with most sit on top paddlers, plus my hands are free. If your going to use it for trolling you will not find anything better. Can hold 4 rods inside the boat. If you get close to shore don't have to worry about them being broken. Tons of storage. Built in mounts for an anchor and fish finder. Don't have to drill any holes.

Can get a electric motor for it and power pole just came out with a mini anchor for small boats. Designed for the pro angler.

One thing is that the seat has so much adjustment takes the pressure off your knees so you can travel a lot further in a day.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:19 PM

Dunno what yous are all talking about getting "one".
I have 5 fishing kayaks back home and would like another 2 at least.
Decide what you want to do with it before you can decide which one to get, they all do diferent jobs.
I would not take my Hobie Revo down a tiny creek. I would not take my Finn Gizmo in a lake. I would not take my Finn Finn on a 6 day trip. I would not take my FeelFree Xpress in the open ocean.