Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-18-2014, 09:32 AM

Default Dogpound creek 2014

Fished the dogpound near madden couple months ago with a pal and we hiked for a bit to see no sign of life for a large stretch. Returned closer to Bottrel and seen few, caught one. Does anyone know if this creek has been dammed between bottrel and madden or if it's true the water gets warmer as it fights through the prairie and it's not ideal at that point?

Anyone have luck this year on it? I try to follow the maps but it's not clearly named so I am wondering what it's tribuitaries are and if it is fed by the bow at all because it seems to be on much higher lands than the bows valley! Any info would be appreciated!
Old 09-18-2014, 09:41 AM

sound like you were fishing two different creeks. The creek that goes through Madden is the beaver dam creek. The Dogpound heads north at Dogpound.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:53 AM

Nah same creek, was by madden, range road 292 with the fresh new pavement and that bridge that goes over it. Hiked upstream(southwest) from there about half an hour almost to highway 22 bridge. Quite desolent. On such a hike anywhere else I would have seen much more signs of life and rises along the way.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:39 PM

Buddy of mine has a mile or so of Dogpound running through the middle of his property west of the #22...he told me the flood had quit an effect on his section in that the bigger fish are few and far between but there are plenty of smaller fish, 8"-12" Browns! Most of the bank habitat that was constructed by TU is now gone making the creek wider, shallower and quite warm...no good for bigger fish assuming they survived!!
Old 09-18-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayL42 View Post
sound like you were fishing two different creeks. The creek that goes through Madden is the beaver dam creek. The Dogpound heads north at Dogpound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moefoe View Post
Buddy of mine has a mile or so of Dogpound running through the middle of his property west of the #22...he told me the flood had quit an effect on his section in that the bigger fish are few and far between but there are plenty of smaller fish, 8"-12" Browns! Most of the bank habitat that was constructed by TU is now gone making the creek wider, shallower and quite warm...no good for bigger fish assuming they survived!!
Yea fair enough. I heard many tales from an older coworker who's dad and grandpa fished it steady in their youth but maybe it isn't the fishery that it once was.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:13 PM

Dogpound faired very well after the flood way bigger fish this year on average. Mind you I fish upstream of the area your talking about. I have fished the tu area a few times and it is a very difficult stretch to fish. Lots of undercut banks and deep mud bottoms. If your just walking up the shore you can watch the browns scurry out from the banks as you walk. As for the flood it wasn't that bad up where I fish maybe further down it was worse.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:55 AM

Fair enough. I was at the predominant mud bottom cutbank area however no fish scurrying from the cuts. I guess I will go isolate my self further upstream and give it another go! Thanks for the info!
Old 09-19-2014, 04:41 PM

No problem it is a great stream. Those areas are not easy even for someone that has been Flyfishing for a long time.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:00 PM

can you catch 'em on spoons and spinners or jigs too?
Old 09-19-2014, 05:46 PM

Only ever in the winter time
Old 09-19-2014, 09:21 PM

Lol.. Dogpound creek is closed in the winter. Open April 1- October 31
Old 09-19-2014, 09:57 PM

You should see it on April 1 it looks like winter out there. This year was really bad 4' of snow and only two pools open. But three nice browns that day. Like I said the hardware works in the winter or spring or winspriterng or what ever it's called in alberta
Old 09-19-2014, 10:39 PM

Lol. Its winter spring!
Old 09-19-2014, 10:54 PM

Dogpound creek comes from the west of Bottrel, then flows north until in crosses Highway 22. From there it heads NE.
It does not flow by Madden.
Beaverdam Cr used to have a few brookies
Old 09-20-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Dogpound creek comes from the west of Bottrel, then flows north until in crosses Highway 22. From there it heads NE.
It does not flow by Madden.
Beaverdam Cr used to have a few brookies
Wow real smart. I clarified near madden not through madden stating exact range road and location. But thanks for your geography lesson.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellingflyguy View Post
Wow real smart. I clarified near madden not through madden stating exact range road and location. But thanks for your geography lesson.
Lol...went out to my buddies place yesterday, first time in 4 years and man it has changed! This long sweeping bend that had about 200' of undercut bank that in the past I used to swing streamers under is totally gone, along with the slobs that used to lurk under it. Worked hard to catch around 8...switched from small hoppers, nymphing and streamers a couple of times over, caught fish on a little of everything nuthin over 12". Did see a nice Brown in the 18" range just chillin in the middle of the creek...chucked everything and the kitchen sink at him until he finally spooked!
Old 09-20-2014, 03:44 PM

In your first post you ask about tributaries and if the Dogpound is fed by the Bow....Dogpound is a spring creek in the Red Deer river drainage.
There used to be browns all the way down to where the golf course is. The water starts to get quite warm downstream of township road 292. The high temps are quite stressful to the trout, but you may find whitefish and pike lower down.
Sorry I didn't realize you knew everything already
Old 09-20-2014, 04:53 PM

I've caught lots of browns downstream of the golf course this year.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:01 PM

I got a 2 foot pike and wife got a brown and got 3-4 goldeye out of dogpound in 2014 fun creek
Old 02-09-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by show44 View Post
I got a 2 foot pike and wife got a brown and got 3-4 goldeye out of dogpound in 2014 fun creek
I've heard of pike in there but not goldeye. You must be way downstream.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lds View Post
I've heard of pike in there but not goldeye. You must be way downstream.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cid_742-1.jpg (36.9 KB, 128 views)