Old 02-10-2019, 09:06 PM

SHOT Show in Vegas would be nice.

Ever consider a hog hunt in Texas?
Old 02-10-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvaark View Post
SHOT Show in Vegas would be nice.

Ever consider a hog hunt in Texas?
Hog hunt would be awesome, just gotta convince the wife of that!
Old 02-10-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
How would you get to SHOT Show, are you in the firearms industry? I understand that its not simply open to the public or it would be too much of a gong show to manage with all the looky-loo's that would show up.

We enjoyed the Dominican Republic about a decade back, we were at a resort near Puerto Plata.
I think you’re right about the SHOT show. It shouldn’t be too difficult to tag along with a gun store owner
Old 02-10-2019, 10:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JareS View Post
Perfect place to take a female partner. Be sure to visit the human rights museum while you're there!
We have a WINNER!!! LOLOLO
Old 02-10-2019, 10:52 PM

Take a WestJet to Palm Springs and spend a few days/weeks being a tourist, you missed the Barrett Jackson Classic Car auction in Scottsdale but the McCormicks Classic Car Auction is coming up on February 22nd, 23rd and 24th, 2019. Lots of interesting old/new vehicles to see and admire. There's lots to see & do in Palm Springs, too. L.A. or San Diego are less than 3 hours drive.

McCormicks - February 2019

http://www.classic-carauction.com/Auction-66

A few old threads to look at.

Palm Springs Car Auction .... 2018 pics

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=339932

McCormicks Palm Springs Car Auction – 2017

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=281639

Lots to See and Do at Joshua Tree National Park, California

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=283738

For the Flyboys a few Cool Vintage Fighters

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=283609

Z-z's California Dreaming - Feb 18, 2016 - More Updated Pic's

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=276731

Old 02-10-2019, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I think you’re right about the SHOT show. It shouldn’t be too difficult to tag along with a gun store owner
I'm personally curious what measures they take to keep the riff-raff out. If I were to become an AO moderator I wonder if I could get a media pass?
Old 02-11-2019, 12:27 AM
Banned

I would suggest 7 -10 nights in Dubai , warm weather at the beach and some cools places to visit
Old 02-11-2019, 05:19 AM

Don't listen to these guys.
Go to Texas. Warm and while the wife is shopping, you're out shooting hogs
Old 02-11-2019, 07:28 AM

Hunted Mississippi,Louisiana and Texas last year. I would fully recommend it. I do know people there so it was very affordable as I only bought a license for each state. Nice way to break up the winter and get away for two weeks. I also agree getting into Shot Show may not be that easy. Wish it was, because I would love to go.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:21 AM

I thought the same thing as I do enjoy putting on the miles,,, have pretty much travelled all the Americas. So now I take on more of Canada in the winter. Ha

Warm is what I make of it.

I spend lots of time on the trails now days,,, winter time Quad tracks, cross country skiing, snow shoes, cabin time along with ice fishing,,, very frugal budget.

Some weeks it costs me $35 or $100 depending on how much gas I burn in the unit,,, that's pretty good for savings over 7 days of good times including food and lodging. LOL

5 Star living on a planned budget. Oh Yha.

I class Cabin and ice-fishing shack as warm up time,,, of course the same can be said when I'm checking out the cut-lines by unit or on skis.

Doesn't really matter where our group ends up now days,,, our plan is to live sunny days in-side all the time. LOL.

Warm is,,, as warm does,,, Old story from the old days.

Cheers

👍
Old 02-11-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeman3 View Post
Hunted Mississippi,Louisiana and Texas last year. I would fully recommend it. I do know people there so it was very affordable as I only bought a license for each state. Nice way to break up the winter and get away for two weeks. I also agree getting into Shot Show may not be that easy. Wish it was, because I would love to go.
That sounds ideal! I should find some rancher in Texas who would let me lease hunting rights for a couple weeks in the winter, probably be cheaper than most vacations
Old 02-11-2019, 05:27 PM

Bought a house in the Phoenix area 8 yrs ago, spend a couple of months during the winter here. Been down since Jan 1st and going back mid March. Definitely worked out this year with the current cold snap in Edmonton. House is paid off so its actually cheaper to live down here than back in Alberta. Will spend the entire winter here in 3 years once I can retire.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI 6.5 View Post
Bought a house in the Phoenix area 8 yrs ago, spend a couple of months during the winter here. Been down since Jan 1st and going back mid March. Definitely worked out this year with the current cold snap in Edmonton. House is paid off so its actually cheaper to live down here than back in Alberta. Will spend the entire winter here in 3 years once I can retire.
I've often thought that would be the way to go, having a winter place to escape to. How do you keep the place maintained when your not there, is there services you hire for that?
Old 02-12-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxclaro View Post
I've often thought that would be the way to go, having a winter place to escape to. How do you keep the place maintained when your not there, is there services you hire for that?
We usually trim up the trees before we leave and the neighbor who we are good friends with looks after it when we are not there. Last year I went down for a couple of days in May and Oct as well so pretty easy actually.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:12 PM

Default Los Cabos was 28 yesterday and came home to -28

With fractured ribs I didnt do any of the fun things we usually do like a eco tour on quads or canoeing or zip lines but my buddy and I hung out watched the scenery and walked the beach. anti inflamatories warned to avoid prolonged sun exposure so I alternated sun and a cabana in shade. Ate and drank far too much (although I had to abstain from any alcohol for 3 hours after each pill)so I see a 2 week diet in my future to lose 5 pounds I picked up. $1 bus ride into town was cheap entertainment for people watching as well as conversations with people from almost everywhere in Canada US and a good number of mexicans who explained this is the first winter he recalled of being cold when temps hit 15. No heating in any of their homes and the big expense is airconditioning in summer. We are lucky that ron and I can always find something to do even if it is going to the shooter bar to watch a hockey game. both wifes are happy shopping a couple days. Biggest mistake I made yesterday was leaving Cabo and returning to 30 below.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruhead View Post
I would suggest 7 -10 nights in Dubai , warm weather at the beach and some cools places to visit
Can you go into a little more detail?

What you saw, did, experienced, ate, paid, where you stayed, et-al

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-12-2019, 06:57 PM

I would recommend going to Texas. All kinds of things to see there. If you phone their tourism department, they'll send you a whole catalog of things that are great to do. Also the roadside smokehouse cooking is to die for.

They have almost every climate type there as well. Everything from tropical to desert.

Truth be told, I found that the winter blues disappeared right around Cheyenne.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
With fractured ribs I didnt do any of the fun things we usually do like a eco tour on quads or canoeing or zip lines but my buddy and I hung out watched the scenery and walked the beach. anti inflamatories warned to avoid prolonged sun exposure so I alternated sun and a cabana in shade. Ate and drank far too much (although I had to abstain from any alcohol for 3 hours after each pill)so I see a 2 week diet in my future to lose 5 pounds I picked up. $1 bus ride into town was cheap entertainment for people watching as well as conversations with people from almost everywhere in Canada US and a good number of mexicans who explained this is the first winter he recalled of being cold when temps hit 15. No heating in any of their homes and the big expense is airconditioning in summer. We are lucky that ron and I can always find something to do even if it is going to the shooter bar to watch a hockey game. both wifes are happy shopping a couple days. Biggest mistake I made yesterday was leaving Cabo and returning to 30 below.
Shattered my heel bone in los cabos in 2011. jumped off a water taxi, and crunch!! first day there too. They set it and slapped a cast on it. Still managed 2 black marlin and a couple mahi mahi. And discovered traumadol!!! three of those and a few drinks.... painfree!!

Would darn near trade a broken foot and sunshine for this edmonton weather.

Next winter!!!! house will be paid off and we hope to purchase our dream shack just north of PV!! have a buddy there who runs a freshwater bass fishing charter, he's looking for a partner. Ive offered my services.