Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-28-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
don't start cory
i figured out why you were so bent on the lever, it's because they don't make many of those handcapper reverse guns you need to shoot.
its a part time job for us fab guys to switch all them bolts back to the right sidelee.
You righties are all the same, thinkin your so much better than the rest of us, you'll get your come upins right quick there Fab Guy, or is that Fabio?

There are no absolutes
Old 01-28-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
You righties are all the same, thinkin your so much better than the rest of us, you'll get your come upins right quick there Fab Guy, or is that Fabio?
didn't see that coming!!

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:58 PM

I would like to see the 223 legal to use. Then we could work on un-restricting the AR family of guns and have some tack driving semi-auto's to use. I don't even like most 6mm's and think a 25 is better for a beginner. But I like freedom so lets have options.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 01-28-2010, 08:11 PM

Well thanks Dick284, I never realized that has been lifted as I've never used that cal. for hunting. I was just try to show an example as when the rules are made that common sense usually doesn't play into it very much. Nice to know the .44 is a legal cartridge in acarbine now.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:33 PM

In provinces and States where the 22 caliber center fires are legal, many hunters shoot deer and other game with them year in and out.
I doubt if there is actually any more wounded animals than there are with bigger calibers, as long as the proper bullet is used.
Let's face it, lousy shooting is just that , be it with a .22 center fire or a .375 H&H!
Cat
Old 01-29-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by super7mag View Post
Well thanks Dick284, I never realized that has been lifted as I've never used that cal. for hunting. I was just try to show an example as when the rules are made that common sense usually doesn't play into it very much. Nice to know the .44 is a legal cartridge in acarbine now.
Yup and that's why I bought a 44 mag lever gun.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-29-2010, 10:18 AM
Banned

Has anyone ever had a CO check the caliber of your rifle?
Old 01-30-2010, 08:22 AM

Default ft/lbs

I live in MB and I took deer this year with 30-06,300rum, 45longcolt, and my 22-250AI. I think that caliber should not be what makes a gun legal or not but the bullet being used. A bullet used for deer I think should carry a 1000 ft/lbs out to at least 150 yards. Having said that I know my 45colt is a little light for deer but I use it in heavy bush and mostly under 50 yards and at that range a 300 grain bullet makes a big hole. The 22-250AI with a 80grain VLD carries a 1000 ft/lbs out to about 450 yards.
The problem is that if you make hunting laws that actually make sense you would need people with common sense to enforce them.
Remember we allow people to shoot deer with arrows and we trust that they will use there heads and hunt within there capabilities so why is it that as soon as we move to a rifle we are so sure people will not think about what they are doing. I am sure that there are people that will take shots they shouldn't no matter what they are shooting for a weapon.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 53 View Post
I live in MB and I took deer this year with 30-06,300rum, 45longcolt, and my 22-250AI. I think that caliber should not be what makes a gun legal or not but the bullet being used. A bullet used for deer I think should carry a 1000 ft/lbs out to at least 150 yards. Having said that I know my 45colt is a little light for deer but I use it in heavy bush and mostly under 50 yards and at that range a 300 grain bullet makes a big hole. The 22-250AI with a 80grain VLD carries a 1000 ft/lbs out to about 450 yards.
The problem is that if you make hunting laws that actually make sense you would need people with common sense to enforce them.
Remember we allow people to shoot deer with arrows and we trust that they will use there heads and hunt within there capabilities so why is it that as soon as we move to a rifle we are so sure people will not think about what they are doing. I am sure that there are people that will take shots they shouldn't no matter what they are shooting for a weapon.
well said, lee.

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:48 PM

Default .22 Cal

.222 63g handloads
2 shots, two deer <100yds
30-06, 150g Handloads
5 shots, 2 deer <100yds

The .222 was a pleasure to shoot.
The '06 was noisy and hard on the shoulder.

There IS a lesson here.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:41 AM

Default Center fire .22s

Can't help but wade in on this one with some arguably extensive real world experience to offer.
Center fire .22's the likes of .222 and up to .220 Swift and everything in between are absolutely adequate for deer sized game. I spent many years in the eastern arctic and my wife and I killed numerous caribou with primarily
.223 and .22-250. Many of the bulls were in the 450 lb range. Almost all one shot kills in the boiler room with 55 grain soft point bullets. Turned the rib cage contents to red jelly mostly. They never went very far. Add to this the thousands of caribou killed annually by Inuit hunters in my home community using the aforementioned calibers (usually one shot per caribou!) and it makes a pretty solid argument for the legal and effective use of these calibers for deer sized game.
Conversely I have witnessed numerous elk and a couple of moose shot in the ass or other less than desirable location with .340 Weatherby, and/or.......(fill in the blank with any large magum caliber of your choice here) and managed to get a lot further than you might think.
My kids learned to shoot a .223 well at an early age and not surprisingly transferred those skills to one shot kills on elk and deer with a "legal" .270 later.
I am quite sure that properly trained and practised young hunters would do very well with the .22s. on deer as part of their hunter development and would have learned how to SHOOT without getting beat up unecessarily by larger caliber recoil. I would probably go back to using one as well for deer if/when they are legal.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:02 PM

Red face confused

so let me get this right...you CAN shoot a caliber under 23 in alberta for big game? Because I thought that you had to be above 23 caliber.Just wondering
Old 02-06-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Yup and that's why I bought a 44 mag lever gun.
have you had a chance to take it on a deer hunt yet? if so id love to know how she was. what is your comfort level for distance
Old 02-06-2010, 07:17 PM

You guys want a good read on hunting with a 22 cal bullet?
Read this thread from another forum, it even goes into a full pictorial of the damage incurred by a 221 Fireball round.
It also has some eye opening ballistics tests

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...light=fireball
Old 02-06-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt 270WSM View Post
so let me get this right...you CAN shoot a caliber under 23 in alberta for big game? Because I thought that you had to be above 23 caliber.Just wondering
Matt
you are right must be greater then a .23
g
Old 02-07-2010, 09:52 AM
Banned

Maybe this should be one of those resolutions AFGA sends to SRD?
Old 02-10-2010, 11:13 PM

I like what Chukar Hunter said. We are out there to kill, not wound. We should not be using puny ammunition.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJ View Post
I like what Chukar Hunter said. We are out there to kill, not wound. We should not be using puny ammunition.
Dan,
what caliber do you use to hunt with?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Some people may use Bullets like the tsx which would work at closer ranges,but other people would likely use cheaper cup and core bullets designed for varmint hunting.After all,most .224 bullets were designed for varmint hunting or target shooting.
Exactly, so while the govt. could change the big game hunting laws around bullet diameter, they can't legislate good judgement(or some might say stupidity).

With the proper bullet, and proper shot on game(positon of animal/range/type of animal), I have no doubt a .223Rem would work. I just don't think it would be wise to open that can of worms, for a good portion of hunters.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullijr View Post
I shudder to think of all the mall ninja's who be out with their 30,20,10 round clips shooting surplus hardball from the roads at 200 yd running deer.
Most 223 will not shoot the heavy bullets over 60 gr in a 30 inch circle at 200 yds
that's an extremely ignorant comment. with the cheapest ammo i could buy i was getting sub 1" groups @100yrds. with good hand loads it's a 1" group @ 200yrds

if i was shooting a 30" group at 200 yards i must be insanely lucky to have just shot a coyote at 400 yards perfectly in the vitals...
Old 02-11-2010, 08:26 AM

This thread is still alive... so I think it's time to go pick up some 60 grain partitions and see what they'll do. If I recall their about $35 a box of 50.