Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-25-2019, 09:48 AM

Default Any RCMP members who join later in life?

Hi there, I've thought on and off about a career with the rcmp, but life always seemed to push me in a different direction.
Now, at 48, single, and kids grown I am contemplating it again.

I'm wondering how difficult the training is though.

I'm in fairly good shape for my age, but if a 20 year old kid is running away from me, I'm not gonna catch him. Haha

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:02 AM

I’m the same age and have a few police friends suggesting the same to me so I’ve undegone some thought on the matter, but it was for the CPS rather than RCMP. I understand from them that a recent class had someone who was 51 so you and I are still young bucks . At the more mature age though, I would consider a municipal force rather than the RC’s due to the stability of where you’d be, with the horse cops you’d wind up posted lord only knows where and for how long. Moving around when it’s not your own decision is for the birds. Perhaps that might appeal to your sense of adventure though, and you’re single so there’s not much to hinder you, I was going from my own perspective on that.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:55 PM
Banned

I am disqualified for my hearing disability. I seen a cop with hearing aids not long ago.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:01 PM

With age comes a certain set of life skills that the younger officers don’t have. I’d check into physical fitness requirement and if there is a pass fail across the board or if they have age brackets. If it is something your interested in go for a ride along and start looking. I went through Army basic training with a guy 44 years old and he was one of the most fit recruits in our platoon.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
I am disqualified for my hearing disability. I seen a cop with hearing aids not long ago.
You'd never get past the drug questions
Old 03-25-2019, 08:37 PM

Would they get full pension when joining at 50? If so why wouldn’t they hire 25 year olds and get decades of work out of them before coughing up pension? Must be severely lacking recruits if they are looking at 50 year olds. I could be wrong but I’m guessing recruitment is lacking?
Old 03-25-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I’m the same age and have a few police friends suggesting the same to me so I’ve undegone some thought on the matter, but it was for the CPS rather than RCMP. I understand from them that a recent class had someone who was 51 so you and I are still young bucks . At the more mature age though, I would consider a municipal force rather than the RC’s due to the stability of where you’d be, with the horse cops you’d wind up posted lord only knows where and for how long. Moving around when it’s not your own decision is for the birds. Perhaps that might appeal to your sense of adventure though, and you’re single so there’s not much to hinder you, I was going from my own perspective on that.

My son is going through the CPS recruit training right now. Just asked him, and he said their oldest classmate is 45. Apparently he's keeping up with the young bucks so far!
Old 03-25-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
You'd never get past the drug questions
He qualifies for there experimental student, they may need some.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:07 PM

Thanks for the info folks.
I'll do some more digging.
My job in the patch is stable for now, but I'm not sure for how long.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Would they get full pension when joining at 50? If so why wouldn’t they hire 25 year olds and get decades of work out of them before coughing up pension? Must be severely lacking recruits if they are looking at 50 year olds. I could be wrong but I’m guessing recruitment is lacking?
Not everyone wants a full pension. Could be a second job or just something to stay occupied and contribute to society.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:41 PM

I met a EPS Officer who was 42 when he joined them.
I know a few 38 years old who went RCMP.
as long as you can pass the PARE and dont have any bad injurys that can come back and haunt you. Have at it, they have recruited young and old for many years. A good mix of people makes for a better force.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:50 PM

New applicant of an advanced age should already have something on the go in terms of pension even if its only CPP. Between to 1/2 pensions or a 65% pension from career 1 to the half pension in career two things should be OK. Of course some might have squandered some of their earlier years, every case will be unique.

It would sure be trying on ones patience though, with the lippy teens and defiant / non-compliant junkies that you see everywhere. Obnoxious jerks trolling you while recording you. And the danger of accidental carfentanil contact, that's probably more of a hazard than getting shot at.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post

No on the full pension. A synopsis.....2% per year for up to 35 years. Max 70% of salary (5 year average) after 35 years of pensionable service. It would be more economical to hire older officers who would never have the opportunity to maximize their pension.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
No on the full pension. A synopsis.....2% per year for up to 35 years. Max 70% of salary (5 year average) after 35 years of pensionable service. It would be more economical to hire older officers who would never have the opportunity to maximize their pension.
Ahhhh thx cnp. Makes sense
Old 03-26-2019, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
It would sure be trying on ones patience though, with the lippy teens and defiant / non-compliant junkies that you see everywhere. Obnoxious jerks trolling you while recording you. And the danger of accidental carfentanil contact, that's probably more of a hazard than getting shot at.
This alone is why I would have a hard time with it, every move being watched,recorded and scrutinized for any wrong doing while some punk is trying to get you worked up or thinking they know the law and their rights.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:39 AM
Banned

I’m sure many people would make fine police officers but Who in their right mind would want to be a cop in this day and age anyways?
Old 03-26-2019, 05:52 AM

Pare test extensive background checks lie detector test.then ALOT of running etc if u make it to training in Regina.wouldn't be My first choice for a career change but if u do It good luck!
Old 03-26-2019, 06:57 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham1 View Post
Thanks for the info folks.
I'll do some more digging.
My job in the patch is stable for now, but I'm not sure for how long.
Go Infantry

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-26-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
I’m sure many people would make fine police officers but Who in their right mind would want to be a cop in this day and age anyways?
Well thankfully there’s plenty of people who DONT think the same and are willing to enter public service.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Hi there, I've thought on and off about a career with the rcmp, but life always seemed to push me in a different direction.
Now, at 48, single, and kids grown I am contemplating it again.

I'm wondering how difficult the training is though.

I'm in fairly good shape for my age, but if a 20 year old kid is running away from me, I'm not gonna catch him. Haha

You could always be a one of those sheriff type cops , there are a few of them around here that can barely waddle through the Tim Hortons doors
Old 03-26-2019, 07:48 PM

As long as you can pass the popat I would give it a shot. Lots of young guys I work with can barely make it to the safety meetings without huffing, so that part depends totally on the individuals personal fitness level.

Medicine Hat popice sevice was redruiting recently, could apply see what happens. Can always say no but there os no chance if you dont apply, so I would give it a shot.

I am in a similar boat in age where my job is going to end and I will be looking for another field, so I say good luck and hope you find something to take you to retirement, whenever that is.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:

I think technology has been developed to deal with that kind of situation quite some time ago that the RCMP have access to.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:34 PM

Its called taze that mofo
Old 03-26-2019, 09:39 PM

Haha, I was hoping maybe I could be the guy with the dog.
Seems like that would make things easier. 😁
Old 03-26-2019, 09:44 PM

I’m 54 and probably would make a helluva cop other than my bad back, arthritis in my hips and a few other non life threatening injuries. oh ya and I really like donuts.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:51 PM

An employer cannot discriminate due to age. You should do more research on the job and make sure it's truly for you. As previously mentioned, moving is not an option. You will have to move wherever they tell you to. There is a lot of "paperwork" which is now "computerized paperwork". If you get serious you should sit down with an RCMP Officer and get some insight as to what the job "really" entails and go from there.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:41 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Well thankfully there’s plenty of people who DONT think the same and are willing to enter public service.
And thank you for doing so!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-27-2019, 06:07 AM

My buddy in Turner Valley was a Farrier all his working life and owned a small feed store and was 46 when he joined CPS. Pretty stiff before joining from years of ranch work and getting kicked/rolled on by clients

He met the physical requirement pretty well, but seemed to sleep a lot after that.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:32 AM

You can also look into the CBSA. Same as the RCMP though that you can be put anywhere in the country. Entrance requirements are basically the same. Test, PARE, psych, interview, security, and references.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap30 View Post
An employer cannot discriminate due to age. You should do more research on the job and make sure it's truly for you. As previously mentioned, moving is not an option. You will have to move wherever they tell you to. There is a lot of "paperwork" which is now "computerized paperwork". If you get serious you should sit down with an RCMP Officer and get some insight as to what the job "really" entails and go from there.
That's good advice.
Thanks