Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-02-2019, 03:14 PM

Default Advice on Martin Cheetah Bow

Hey everyone I am new to archery and I have went to Jim bows not to long ago to try out some bows. Due to unforeseen circumstances though I can no longer buy new. A good friend of mine has a Martin Cheetah that he is willing to sell me for cheap and just wondering if it is a decent bow to start out with.

Thanks.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:52 AM

Default martin cheetah

Yes, the cheetah is a decent bow to sat with. It's rated at 320 fps, so it's plenty fast enough for hunting. Many of the entry level bows today aren't rated any faster. Preferably it's a 2009 or 10 model. You can tell by looking at the cams and limb pockets. And if the archery bug gets you, you won't be out a lot of money if you decide to upgrade down the road. I'm still using a martin Bengal I bought ten years ago. ( It's the same as the cheetah except it's 2" longer.) The only thing that might be a concern would be axle wear. Check out some reviews on youtube. You also might want to check out the website compoundbowchoice.com. It has some good information. Good luck.

Last edited by skbengal; 03-08-2019 at 09:58 AM. Reason: add
Old 03-08-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-87 View Post
Hey everyone I am new to archery and I have went to Jim bows not to long ago to try out some bows. Due to unforeseen circumstances though I can no longer buy new. A good friend of mine has a Martin Cheetah that he is willing to sell me for cheap and just wondering if it is a decent bow to start out with.

Thanks.
Take it to JimBows and see if they can get it to FIT YOU! While many a used bow are good bows, not all of them fit everyone. Too long/short of draw and you'll be fighting the bow for accuracy.

Unless your good friend is fairly close to the same dimensions as you, the bow will be needing adjustment to fit you.

That all being said, I looked hard at the Martin Cheetah years ago before deciding to go a different route. I think Martin bows are under-rated for the technology they put into them at the time of production. Or maybe I was just interested in the girl in the ads?

https://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=268140

J.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:46 PM

After Vegas last year...should be called the Cheat-ah . Sorry couldn’t resist

LC