Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-30-2017, 05:09 PM

Default Dodge Ram TIPM

I'm getting all sorts of weirdness in the electrical of my truck. Seem to have it narrowed down to the tipm. Pricey wee beasts when you can't even confirm it is the correct part...

Dorman makes a tipm for other models, but not the 07. Anybody able to suggest a dealer that doesn't want $1000 plus for a part you can't even confirm as the problem?

Edmonton area.

Thanks
Old 01-30-2017, 05:55 PM

Exact issue with my 07 Ram 1500 5.7L. Headlights quit working, same with passenger tail light. Very common issue with our year, so common it should likely be a recall... Quoted $1060 for the part alone, not sure on install cost. I have thrown thousands in parts into the truck in the past few years that solved nothing. Now they say has to be TIPM. Haven't been able to find any other options.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:05 PM

I have an 06 2500. Had elec problems related to TIPM 5 or so years ago but all good now. First prob was headlight not working.......replaced bulb and still not working.........online forums suggested that TIPM was the prob. Same as you, I priced them at $1K+. Had it reflashed at the stealership and prob fixed. Same prob a year later......reflashed TIPM again and prob solved. Have not had any other issue with TIPM. One thing that was poorly engineered/installed was the wiring harness in the rear doors................the harness is too damn short!!!!! After a few years of repeated opening/closing the wires in the harness broke. Resulted in windows not opening and door locks not working. It's one of those problems that you don't know where to start. But there it was, once slicing the harness open and looking at the wires inside, the problem was obvious..........just added more length and spliced together.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:09 PM

Dormer makes one for the cab and chassis, for $250 US. Some other years of truck, but not my truck...
Old 01-30-2017, 07:17 PM

Default TIPM Woes

Sorry to tell you Iron Brew, but I'm not aware of an aftermarket alternative to the TIPM from the dealer. The reason they are so expensive is because they truly are the central hub of the vehicle's electrical system - for the CAN bus systems on the Dodge/Ram pickups from '06-'08 ('09 for the 2500 & 3500) they are the actuator and power source for the lighting, many accessories, even the transfer case. There is simply a lot going on in that little black box and the more complex a machine, the more likely a fault.

Before you condemn the TIPM, I would seriously look at making sure the harness is in good shape by disconnecting both ends of the circuits that are wiggy and then using a test light to load them This makes sure they can carry current, not just show "continuity" with an ohmmeter. Also, especially with headlights and other higher draw devices, make sure the female connector terminals still have good tension on them, both at the device (light, etc.) and the TIPM. It's best to triple check your circuits before condemning the expensive control module for that circuit.

One thing to note as well - TIPM's need to be configured to the vehicles in which they are installed. This requires a factory Chrysler scan tool. Some aftermarket shops are part of what's called "Tech Authority," a Fiat/Chrysler aftermarket support network with factory tools and information, but mostly dealers have that tool. The scan tool has to connect with the Chrysler server, get the vehicle build information from them (every Chrysler VIN has a file on the server with its original factory build information), and then configure the TIPM so that it knows what it needs to control. The same TIPM part number is used on a variety of vehicles, so it needs to know which inputs and outputs to use and which to ignore. I've heard of other tricks like flicking the ignition on and off, various power up strategies, etc., and even tried some of them, but still had to use a scan tool in the end.

So, sorry to tell you, but it's a dealer thing. Not just saying this because I am a tech at a Dodge dealer, it's just what it is. One recommendation I would give you as preventive maintenance is use a little dielectric grease on the TIPM connectors. Keeps the moisture out.

Hope this helps, and I'm hoping you just have a rubbed wire that's easy to find or something simple
Old 01-30-2017, 07:20 PM

Default TIPM Woes Continued . . .

BTW - if you have a 1500 with the 4-position transfer case switch (Auto4WD) you'll need to ensure you get the correct revision number as well or it will destroy the transfer case motor. Dodge dealers have that Tech Tip with the revision numbers on a list.

Hope it works out well for you.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:43 PM

Thanks

It's an 07.5 3500 6.7 diesel. I may have found a reasonably priced used one. The harness etc. has been checked pretty thoroughly (not saying we couldn't have missed something) as have the contacts etc.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:51 PM

be careful with used ones , they still have to have the build configuration flashed into them and 80% of the time they don't work , and aren't returnable so you lose your money on the used one and still have to buy the new one for a 1000 bucks.