Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2017, 07:55 AM

Default Highway 88 questions

I'm heading north this fall and hoping to travel a few routes I haven't been on for a few decades or ever. Anyone give me info on 88 from Slave to High Level? I'm assuming it's paved all the way now and Red Earth is still the only stop until you break into the Peace river valley. Did a lot of timber cruising up towards the top end way back in another life. Going to do some camping and fishing along the way. Hoping to eventually end up in Inuvik or Tuk if the road is open.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:41 AM
Banned

I can only vouch for the stretch north of Red Earth right up to Panny River which is now paved. After that, I don't know. I only go up to Panny for work.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:48 AM

It is now completely paved and ......wait for it......................and a shiny, brand spanking new Esso in Red Earth.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
It is now completely paved and ......wait for it......................and a shiny, brand spanking new Esso in Red Earth.
Cool !!!
Old 01-28-2017, 01:32 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjeda View Post
I'm heading north this fall and hoping to travel a few routes I haven't been on for a few decades or ever. Anyone give me info on 88 from Slave to High Level? I'm assuming it's paved all the way now and Red Earth is still the only stop until you break into the Peace river valley. Did a lot of timber cruising up towards the top end way back in another life. Going to do some camping and fishing along the way. Hoping to eventually end up in Inuvik or Tuk if the road is open.
There is no Peace River valley on that route. Just so you'll not be expecting one.

As others have said, it is all paved now but may not be in the best condition.
Last I was out there was to help patch several sections of six month old pavement that had totally failed.

There are services at Red Earth, it's pretty much just another northern town now. No longer a bush camp like when I first saw it.
And there are services at Fort Vermillion, before you cross the Peace River.

From there to High Level there is nothing. No service stations, stores, hills, or villages. Just farm land and muskeg, one intersection and one set of corners. Boring, boring drive.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-28-2017, 05:38 PM

Actually the road from red earth to fort vermilion is about a good a road as you will find in AB, very new, nice and wide shoulders and minimal traffic. Don't worry about hitting a moose, very rare thing to see along that road.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357xp View Post
Actually the road from red earth to fort vermilion is about a good a road as you will find in AB, very new, nice and wide shoulders and minimal traffic. Don't worry about hitting a moose, very rare thing to see along that road.
IMHO this is the nicest highway in Alberta if you need to get somewhere in a hurry. Long straightaways, wide shoulders and little traffic. This route cuts the trip to Edmonton by a couple hours from Fort Vermilion. Travelling highway 88 25 years ago was a crap shoot, not anymore. Areas that were poorly constructed have now been all but fixed. The traffic detour in high level is almost complete. The bridge crossing the peace river near fort vermilion has been upgraded and reinforced. Just a few covered bridges to replace and 88 will be THE travel route for big loads heading north from Edmonton .
Old 01-29-2017, 09:59 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357xp View Post
Good to hear. I wasn't looking so good the year after they paved it.

It should have been one of the best then but the Conservatives cheeped out and only did half the job. A base coat but no top coat, and they were going to leave it like that. I see they changed their minds.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-29-2017, 10:03 PM

Have taken it up to LaCrete the last two summers for work. Not a problem at all. Did stop at the new Esso on the way back this year. Seen one black bear on the way up!
Old 01-30-2017, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

From there to High Level there is nothing. No service stations, stores, hills, or villages. Just farm land and muskeg, one intersection and one set of corners. Boring, boring drive.
Easy! I used to live on that boring boring drive..
Old 01-30-2017, 09:53 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Techer View Post

George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-30-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Techer View Post
brewster mill?