Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-29-2017, 06:21 PM

Default NHL All Star Weekend Sleep Fest

May be just me but what a snooze fest. Who cares if superstar hockey players skate around slowly passing pucks?

I couldn't watch the all star game more than 2 minutes. Totally boring. At least last time there was a cool story of a guy no one wanted to play having a great time doing what he wanted waiting for it to be over so the NHL bosses could destroy his career.

Sad.

John Scott...you rock.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-29-2017, 06:25 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I enjoyed it, got to see the past and present stars of the game, would have been better to see it live and take in the whole wk-end.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-29-2017, 06:26 PM

I have to agree. There just wasn't that "something", and it's been like that for quite awhile (save for Scott's Cinderella story last year). Maybe they should hinge playoff home advantage to the game like they now do in MLB. Even throwing a cool million bucks at the winning team did nothing for the NHL all-star game...
Old 01-29-2017, 06:27 PM

I think it's more for the image of hockey and maybe our youngsters seeing the super stars playing together . the players commented on how great it was to play in it .. also to bring more interest ...it was never meant to be competitive .. I thought it was done quite well .....
Old 01-29-2017, 06:34 PM
Banned

It doesn't need to be competitive but exciting would be nice.

The skills competition is normally pretty good. I love seeing the showcase of the skills from some of the best in the world.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:35 PM

Flipped back to it and saw Don Cherry rip into players for not even making an effort to play.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-29-2017, 06:38 PM

the format was excellent this year with the divisions and the final .. skills were great ... JMO ...
Old 01-29-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Flipped back to it and saw Don Cherry rip into players for not even making an effort to play.
Don Cherry doesn't make 5 mil a year and take the chance of a career ending game for nothing ... we all know Cherry ... who I think is great but sometimes should be quiet ....
Old 01-29-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
He is not a big supporter of it to begin with but being the 100 year etc he did and still does play a big part so he was invited.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:39 AM

Thumbs up She saved the day and all I can say is "WOW"

This wasn't the first time she's sang in front of a crowd, just last week she performed The Star Spangled Banner in front of the Ontario Reign fans. This time she was asked to perform "just a few minutes before the players got lined up to be introduced."

"I was told I was singing, changed my clothes and they handed me the microphone," Daniels said.

"I felt so honored and was so excited and I really wanted to help any way that I could."

The nerves clearly didn't get to her as Daniels walked out with confidence, gave a wave to the greatest living NHL legends, then to the current All-Stars, and finally to the sellout 18,000+ fans.

"I kinda looked around at everyone. I wanted to take in every moment. I was happy the fans cheered with support."

Her time to shine didn't end there. She was then asked to present the NHL All-Star MVP trophy to Wayne Simmonds, and hold a $1,000,000 check... with Wayne Gretzky... to give to the winning Metropolitan team.

"It was such an incredible weekend to just be in the arena this weekend let alone be a part of it in such an amazing way. So so honored. And to give away the MVP away was just unforgettable."

That to me was why it was really entertaining.

Old 01-30-2017, 06:24 AM

Not sure why the NHL thinks it has to put on a weekend like that. Absolute snooze fest. Pretty bad when you have to threaten players with suspensions if they do not attend.

Players are more than likely insured for the event in case of injury.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:42 AM

Default Garbage

Watched a few minutes and lost interest. Absolute garbage! Waste of days they could play real hockey. Bettman doesn't want to interrupt the season for the Olympics (which is a huge commitment) but will take a 4 day break for this annual snooze fest. I don't see it as a way to 'sell the game' because it is nothing like hockey. All for the almighty $$$$! Shows how little a million dollars means to these guys. Put some juniors or minor leaguers out there with a $1,000,000 on the line and you'll see some effort, but who will pay to watch or more importantly who wants to pay to broadcast and sell advertising for it. $$$$$ GN
Old 01-30-2017, 09:26 AM

This is the first year in my life that I have taken interest in following Hockey. I have been super excited with what the Oilers have accomplished this year. I was pumped about the all star game as I have never seen one. The only thing I enjoyed , was the look back at the history of the sport and the legends that made the game. The game itself was slow and boring and saw very little in skill being displayed during game time by these multi million dollar guys. I would have much more enjoyed watching some of our youngsters play.
Just my opinion .
Old 01-30-2017, 09:37 AM

Yup... Snoozer.... there was no effort put in by the players... and what player in their right mind get on a microphone and say that the whole thing was stupid and a waste of time. Not entertaining at all....
Old 01-30-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Grapes had it right. Glad he had the balls to say it on national television. The first two rounds were pathetic. No interest in putting on a show or competing. But then $90,000 per player is chump change, not worth breaking a sweat for those guys, apparently. Maybe, just maybe they would try a little harder if the prize money went to their favourite charity. Then they would have to face that charity after and say "Yeah, I just felt like goofing around and holding my stick upside down. Sorry kids."
Old 01-30-2017, 04:03 PM

In the good old days before 1969 used to be allstars against prior years stanley cup winners. Those games were played with a passion. Now its a total waste of time I mean they even let Justin Beiber play in a segment. Im just glad I have an ice shack out at slave so the weekend wasnt a total waste
Old 01-30-2017, 04:10 PM

You guys miss the point of the interaction that took place for the fans and the players, the players today and past along with the fan base all got to be together for a great celebration of hockey...you will never get a battle royal unless your trying to prove something like the juniors.
Kinda like comparing reg season and playoffs, amazing how there is another level within these elite players but you probably complain about the regular season too...