Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-11-2020, 03:08 PM

Default TC Encore

So what happened to these single shot rifles? You used to see then around at retailers or for sale used and now nothing, even barrel seem hard to find.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:13 PM

Everything is hard to come by these days. My guess is they are a low popularity item so they only do limited runs. Always wanted one and have a friend who has one. He finds more after market barrel support than from TC. Would love to run one suppressed, would be very quiet!
Old 12-11-2020, 07:35 PM

I think the price point has crept up enough that folks are looking at other options.

It wasn't that long ago you could buy a complete gun for less than $800 (Cdn, Ford). Last I checked, the receivers were at least that much and barrels were another 5 or 6 bills apiece.

At that price, you can get a few Handi rifles and you're nearly into the same price point of an 1885 or an No 1.

Personally, if I was looking to spend upwards of $1500 on a new single shot, I'd probably save for a bit longer and get a Winchester or a Ruger.

My 2 cents at least - and because I have such a high opinion of my, well, opinion; that's 2 cents American

Colin
Old 12-11-2020, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colroggal View Post
I think the price point has crept up enough that folks are looking at other options.

It wasn't that long ago you could buy a complete gun for less than $800 (Cdn, Ford). Last I checked, the receivers were at least that much and barrels were another 5 or 6 bills apiece.

At that price, you can get a few Handi rifles and you're nearly into the same price point of an 1885 or an No 1.

Personally, if I was looking to spend upwards of $1500 on a new single shot, I'd probably save for a bit longer and get a Winchester or a Ruger.

My 2 cents at least - and because I have such a high opinion of my, well, opinion; that's 2 cents American

Colin
Agree with you on the price! I could find one online but one look at the price and it just sours me.
Old 12-11-2020, 08:59 PM

I love my .300WM and .50 cal Encore muzzle loader.
I used / changed up to accurize with BellM headspace shims, hammer springs, bigger hinge bolt and lighter trigger springs for a 2.5lb pull
The single shot forces me to be sure and solid on every shot.
I used to see many barrels hanging on the shelves at Cabelas

Last edited by Austin; 12-11-2020 at 09:12 PM.
Old 12-11-2020, 09:11 PM

I have one and sounds like I got it for a steal of a deal. They are a nice compact light wieght rifle even with a 26 inch heavy barrel. I am looking for a muzzle loader barrel for mine.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:16 PM

Jim Shockey bought them all.
Old 12-11-2020, 11:30 PM

I’ve had an original SS Encore .50 cal for around 15 years, I’ve taken quite a few deer with it. Everything is original and I’ve never had an issue with it. I won’t be getting rid of it any time soon....😊
Old 12-12-2020, 05:35 AM

Default After

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Jim Shockey bought them all.
He ditched Knight for more $$$$$$ from TC
Old 12-12-2020, 10:40 AM

Local gunshops here quit bringing them because they got scared of the recalls. However, the recalls were for the first run of the venture line and the dimensions. So now they won’t bring em in.
I’ve got quite a few barrels and 3 receivers. They are hard to find for sure. Stateside is your best bet, but they are $$$$
Old 12-12-2020, 12:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillG View Post
I have one and sounds like I got it for a steal of a deal. They are a nice compact light wieght rifle even with a 26 inch heavy barrel. I am looking for a muzzle loader barrel for mine.
https://nine35.ca/index.html
Old 12-12-2020, 12:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
He ditched Knight for more $$$$$$ from TC
Then he ditched nosler for more money from hornady and Christensen
Old 12-12-2020, 11:41 PM

Thanks Marky Mark.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbillg View Post
thanks marky mark.
👍
Old 12-13-2020, 10:36 AM

Years ago I set foot into a certain Edmonton gun shop with a range to start looking for my own first rifle and stop borrowing from family.
Guy at the counter tried to sell the encore HARD. I never returned to that place again for several years because of how he was.
Fast forward to about a year ago I inquired about the encore. Turns out that same guy was the owner and he told me how he couldn’t sell any of those rifles so he ended up giving them away (I think to the conservation camp)
I always thought they would be an interesting novelty gun to play with but every time I see the prices on new and used, I end up thinking my money is better spent on a Tikka with a custom barrel.
Old 12-13-2020, 11:42 AM

I have a 7 rem mag which has been a great shooter. And at long ranges, 800 yards plus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old dog View Post
I have a 7 rem mag which has been a great shooter. And at long ranges, 800 yards plus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a .280 and a 6.5x55. Developed loads for them that shoot .75 at a 100. Good enough for hunting for me.
Old 12-13-2020, 07:31 PM

I was hoping to get one for the boy when he starts hunting as he’s a lefty and I’m a righty ( you know just incase hunting isn’t his thing dad could use the rifle. 😂 ) but at those costs I’d just buy a quality left hand rifle.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
I was hoping to get one for the boy when he starts hunting as he’s a lefty and I’m a righty ( you know just incase hunting isn’t his thing dad could use the rifle. 😂 ) but at those costs I’d just buy a quality left hand rifle.

Couple a of great knowledgeable lefties here to help you figure out some good options.
I think Chuck, Dean2, and Dick284 but don’t quote me on that. Maybe they’ll see this and reach out to you
Old 12-14-2020, 04:23 AM

I have a couple, one stainless and one blued, and several barrels from 223-45/70 , they all shoot great. Most of my hunting these days is sit and wait, so I don't really need a quick, badly placed 2nd shot. They have become quite pricey to buy and theyre not as nice as my ruger#1's or my sharps but I like that platform of easy interchange.
Old 12-14-2020, 06:22 AM

I have a pro hunter encore set up as a muzzle loader. I find it very comfortable and accurate. I have been tempted to get a rifle barrel and forearm stock as well but because they are not readily available I just never have
Old 12-14-2020, 01:59 PM

I had one that I purchased from a fellow member. I loved the rifle as far as carrying and pointing and it shouldered wonderfully. I could not warm up to the caliber and the recoil from the .270 felt like it slapped me hard. It was worse than my 30-06. I sold it. I really liked the platform and the looks. I now shoot a Ruger #1 and have had good success with it.
I thought about buying another recently, but availability is next to none.
Old 12-19-2020, 08:46 PM

I have the TC prohunter 50cal muzzle loader and it's a great gun. Looked into accessory barrels, and they are very expensive. That's assuming you can find them. Changing barrels also meant I'd need a different fore end to go with the new barrel.

As others have posted, for that price of a new barrel and fore end, you could just buy a whole gun from another manufacturer. Didn't really make sense.