Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-28-2009, 01:18 PM

Default Keg River Boar Update

A bit of an update. Spent all day saturday and sunday at keg river looking for the elusive wild boar. Two of us drove every road we could find, and pounded a ton of miles on cutlines and field edges. We didnt find a single pig, nor a single bit of fresh sign. We found some old wallows and tracks. We spoke to a couple of local farmers and they told us that they had been trapping the pigs pretty hard lately. I just thought i would let you guys know. They are probly there but they are gonna be hard to find.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:02 PM

Default boars

ive been out 6 times . nitnton, mayothorpe, sangudo, ukrainian village and havent seen a sign a local trapper and guide out of ninton hasnt seen any in years and has traplines in the area the farmers in mayothorpe havent seen any Talked to about 10 . talked to the loggers none asked some road crews nothing but weird looks i saw one out by whitecourt last fall but it was gone before i could blink i keep looking hiking it gives me an ecuse . The cage hunt is the way to go im starting to think if i want to pay 600 but thinking about it now ive probably spent half that in fuel already dammit. Starting to think thats were the photos on here are originating. might have a better chance of winning the lottery im starting to think but hopefully i get one one day. Winter might have killed them off . Too bad there wasnt more in alberta if it didnt endanger the ecosystem that already has too much pressure. I was thinking of going to keg river myself but looks like there is no point. If anyone gets one id like to buy some meat pm me if so .
Old 04-28-2009, 06:32 PM
Gone Hunting

Are you guys talking about "Keg River" up north of Manning?

How did there get to be any escaped farrel bores up there?

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 04-28-2009, 07:01 PM
Gone Hunting

The only wild boar I saw in Alberta was in 2004 at the end of November around Keg River.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:15 PM

Go talk to the farmers around Manning. I get the 'Manning Banner Post' delivered to me every week and I recently read they were having problems with wild pigs destroying their property.
I'm sure they cwould point you in the right direction along with access.
G'luck!