Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-27-2009, 02:56 PM

Default Where to go for a big Moose?

Hey guys;

I am a priority 11 this year for bull moose, and I think I can draw a tag anywhere in the Province. I want to shoot a really good bull, and use my tag in the best area as opposed to wasting all this priority. If you guys had this opportunity, where would you draw for a chance at a whopper?
Is the base at Wainwright the place to go, or are there better options?

Cheers.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:02 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguyfire View Post
Hey guys;

I am a priority 11 this year for bull moose, and I think I can draw a tag anywhere in the Province. I want to shoot a really good bull, and use my tag in the best area as opposed to wasting all this priority. If you guys had this opportunity, where would you draw for a chance at a whopper?
Is the base at Wainwright the place to go, or are there better options?

Cheers.
Camp Wainwright is a separate draw, don't think your priority will apply there if u have been applying for Antlered Moose, where have u been applying the previous 10 Yrs.???? That info may help
Old 04-27-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Camp Wainwright is a separate draw, don't think your priority will apply there if u have been applying for Antlered Moose, where have u been applying the previous 10 Yrs.???? That info may help
Wrong Hal.....Camp Wainwright is only a seperate draw code for deer.

Wainwright has some big moose in it....but the last year they allowed a lot more tags, and over the past few years trophy quality seems to have gone down from what I've heard.

WMU 400 is a heck of a zone for some big bulls, as well as WMU 300 has some good ones in it. I am currently planning a hunt out in the eastern part of the province as well, and there are some true lugs out that way.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:18 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Wrong Hal.....Camp Wainwright is only a seperate draw code for deer.

Wainwright has some big moose in it....but the last year they allowed a lot more tags, and over the past few years trophy quality seems to have gone down from what I've heard.

WMU 400 is a heck of a zone for some big bulls, as well as WMU 300 has some good ones in it. I am currently planning a hunt out in the eastern part of the province as well, and there are some true lugs out that way.
Thanks for the correction, haven't been there a few years, should have checked the regs before yapping .......
Old 04-27-2009, 03:22 PM

I hunted wmu 166 for mulie buck 5 or 6 years ago and saw quite a few decent prairie bulls; maybe a prairie zone is the way to go???
Old 04-27-2009, 03:25 PM

I've seen some bigguns up in the 400 wmu's. You have to work pretty hard to find them in that deep bush country though. Lots of muskeg to contend with.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:25 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguyfire View Post
I hunted wmu 166 for mulie buck 5 or 6 years ago and saw quite a few decent prairie bulls; maybe a prairie zone is the way to go???
was going to mention that, around here and East I have seen some dandies....access doesn't seem to be a huge issue, as when I'm asking permission for ducks and geese, most often told that I can hunt IF, I promise to shoot every one of theose black b******ds you see..... they are not too fence friendly....
Old 04-27-2009, 03:31 PM

Hi Hal; thanks for the response. Would you be willing to share any details on where to go in 166 if a guy drew in there? I hunted straight East of Big Valley before, just north of the Imperial ranch and saw a few decent bulls.

Todd
Old 04-27-2009, 04:24 PM
Banned

Fire Guy...

This one big enough for you????

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=22002

Jamie
Old 04-27-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Fire Guy...

Jamie
Show off.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Fire Guy...

Jamie
GEEZ!!! Jamie, around here , we wipe the milk off their mouths when they are that size , before we help them over the fence and into the bush so they can grow up!!!!! only joking....dandy moose!!!!
Old 04-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk Dog View Post
Show off.
Yes... Yes I am..

It was great season, and this thread made me go back and read this story as well as my Brown Bear set of storys. Man I feel so fortunate to have had such luck. I would imagine I burned out all my luck for the at least the next decade.

Jamie
Old 04-27-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Fire Guy...

Jamie
Fireguyfire,

Just be sure that if you go out and kill a slob of a bull that you bring a good camera and get some good pics!!! Jamie seems to have a bad thing about killing great animals and having 'camera issues'. Heh....
Old 04-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
GEEZ!!! Jamie, around here , we wipe the milk off their mouths when they are that size , before we help them over the fence and into the bush so they can grow up!!!!! only joking....dandy moose!!!!
I aggree.. But I like the taste of a "young" moose

Honestly though, this moose was a great eater!! I just had another bowl of Moose Chili.

Jamie
Old 04-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Fireguyfire,

Just be sure that if you go out and kill a slob of a bull that you bring a good camera and get some good pics!!! Jamie seems to have a bad thing about killing great animals and having 'camera issues'. Heh....
Enough with the Camera comments.
You are just trying to bring me down

I promise better pics next year

Jamie
Old 04-27-2009, 04:41 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I aggree.. But I like the taste of a "young" moose

Honestly though, this moose was a great eater!! I just had another bowl of Moose Chili.

Jamie
enjoy the game tonight with the lad, I'm an Oilers fan first, but strong second for Alberta......have fun...and.....go Flames go (can't believe I said that)
Old 04-27-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Enough with the Camera comments.
You are just trying to bring me down

I promise better pics next year

Jamie
Bahaha....oh c'mon I need to rib ya about something!!

A guy like you need to be brought down every once in a while....haha.

You just wait and see, I'm gonna have my camera crap out on me this year on a hunt!!!
Old 04-27-2009, 06:29 PM

Chased around in Wainwright last year (Moose). If you hunt there you will get "A" bull moose. The tag numbers have been up and pretty well everyone connected on bulls that was NOT looking for a big one.
Your priority would get you in most likely.
You would have less company on the prairie zones though.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:55 PM

I killed a 54" bull in Camp Wainwright in 2001,after turning down bulls,but I haven't seen many large bulls in recent trips to the camp.I would still likely choose the camp if had the priority.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I killed a 54" bull in Camp Wainwright in 2001,after turning down bulls,but I haven't seen many large bulls in recent trips to the camp.I would still likely choose the camp if had the priority.
Do you have any pics you could post of your bull?
Old 04-27-2009, 07:04 PM

I don't think that you have enough priority to get in WMU 400. I believe you needed a 12 last year and only like half of the 12 year applicants got it. I forget if I have 12 or 13 years priority . But it is great to hear that there are some great Bulls in 400 to be had. Even an early bow season, to boot!!!
Old 04-28-2009, 02:24 PM

Default Fire guy

Hey I just joined and am looking things over. I see your request for a large moose and noticed somebody suggested 166 as they had hunted ther 5 or 6 years ago for a mule deer. Apparently they haven't been back! The Moose population is basically non existant now. They have gave out way too many Bull , and Cow, tags for several years. You would be lucky to find a moose, let alone a big one. They also gave out far too many mule buck tags last year and have decimated the mature portion of the population in a single year. We'll keep our fingers crossed that they don't flood the tag market again this year.
Not sure where to tell you to go for a big moose. Did see a couple last fall in the West Drayton area.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binocular View Post
Hey I just joined and am looking things over. I see your request for a large moose and noticed somebody suggested 166 as they had hunted ther 5 or 6 years ago for a mule deer. Apparently they haven't been back! The Moose population is basically non existant now. They have gave out way too many Bull , and Cow, tags for several years. You would be lucky to find a moose, let alone a big one. They also gave out far too many mule buck tags last year and have decimated the mature portion of the population in a single year. We'll keep our fingers crossed that they don't flood the tag market again this year.
Not sure where to tell you to go for a big moose. Did see a couple last fall in the West Drayton area.
Heh....ya.....well I'm sure a few might argue with Jamie but when ya kill a big old slob like his bull in WMU 166 its pretty hard to argue that there are some big boys around!!
Old 04-28-2009, 02:40 PM

I see some big guys up in the more remote areas in WMU 350 every year. I would say they would be in the 50"+ class. Some have pretty thick heavy antlers. You have to be prepared to do the remote camp thing and slog through some pretty rough country though. There are some dandy bulls up there for sure. We always take the first one with legal horns we get a crack at and generally see the big guys later....oh well. Them big boys are too much work and are tough as hell anyways.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binocular View Post
There are still a few good bulls in 166, but sure not like there used to be. I remember seeing 3 different bulls between 160 and 166 about 15 years ago that would go 60", but would be lucky to find one now. Still the odd 55" around, but they are actually half smart and not as easy to find as you might think.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:01 PM

if your up for the adventure i would draw in the wilmore ive seen moose in there that look like they came from the yukon. iv seen big bulls down south guiding but what i have seen in the wilmore just doesnt compare. Last year above the tree line we watched a 60+ inch bull with more tines and length that i have ever seen that would be my first choice but its one hard hunt or should i say pack job....
Old 04-28-2009, 04:06 PM

Just this hunting season in 166 I probably seen over 40 moose in the imperial ranch alone. None of them were huge but if you wanted a meater there are tons of them. On the last day I seen 14 moose alone, about half were cows and half were smaller bulls.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:53 PM

Go way up north and get yourself a good argo.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Do you have any pics you could post of your bull?
Only one picture,and it isn't great.His paddles were not very wide,but he has good fronts with five points each and some long tines.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:16 PM

Yea great bull man...I have remembered seeing it a while back on different threads of yours....but forgot about it. Awesome man!