Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-26-2009, 12:14 AM

Default Decoy Frost

Last fall was my first year goose hunting. I will have my own shotgun for next season. I'm leaning towards a wingmaster, but I'm also thinking about a winchester to browning autoloader. What do you think about those guns?

More to the title, how to keep frost off of decoys. Last year, I had 3 morning hunts. The first morning was amazing. Roughly +5c, over cast and lots of birds coming in. Then next 2 mornings it was clear, sunny and below 0 and few birds came it. One of the problems I observed was frost build up on the decoys and this warned the birds.

So, is there anyway to avoid frost on your decoys.

Next, I hunt with my Grandpa, Uncles and Dad. My Grandpa and Uncle and pretty old school about how they hunt. However, I'd like to bring some new decoys to the mix. They use around 50 "shell" decoys, mainly snow with about 10 canada geese. They also use ~10 windsock type decoys. We hunt in fields, mainly for snow geese. Now I've thought about bringing some decoys to add some motion or perhaps the simple flag type decoys. What do you guys think about this?

Andy
Old 04-26-2009, 12:29 AM

If you want to kill snows, go with 'northwind' style windsocks, or Sillosocks. 150 will work, but 300 will work even better. In your area I'd use 75% adult snows, 20% juvie snows and 5% blues.

The only way to avoid frost is to skip the morning and hunt the afternoon. If the forecast the evening before suggests frost and little wind, sleep in and hunt the afternoon.

Winchester and Browning autos are both decent guns but much better are the Beretta AL390/391's.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:51 AM

I have fully flocked decoys now and since then have not had a problem with frost. They do not shine after the frost is burned off. If you want to keep frost off then some guys use a spray bottle with antifreeze but then you have a shiny decoy in the sun which is not too good. I find that you can put out the decoys upside down and then turn them over right after the first flight of birds comes by to let you know it is time to hunt. It will give you a little time of frost free decoys at least then
Old 04-26-2009, 08:56 AM

What i use to take the frost off my decoys on those cold mornings is a spray bottle with metholhydrate {gas line aintifreeze}, if you see frost starting to show, just spray them down quick and they will dry in a few minutes and your good to go.

Jim
Old 04-26-2009, 12:46 PM

yep methyl hydrate with the fast evaporation rate is good but you will probally have to spray them a few times to keep em frost free, dont let a little frost keep you from hunting there is almost always a solution to bird hunting problems
Old 04-26-2009, 07:35 PM
barry01

Default Not an issue

I have guided bird hunters across Alberta now full time for over 5 years. When I first started hunting waterfowl, I too was concerned with frost on decoys. But as I became more experienced, I soon realized that frost on decoys is not really much of an issue. Typically there are only a few days in the fall when the frost is extremely heavy (Cold, clear nights, full moon). And I have had some of my best hunts in these conditions. The problem isn't so much frost on the decoys, but the lack of frost on the ground and blinds from milling around setting up everything. Although actual birds will cause the same effect when feeding in a field, it won't be to the extent that you will create. This creates an unnatural look. Try using snow spray (Canadian Tire will start to carry it around the end of October) on your blinds. A light coating will give it a frosted look, were as a heavier coat will give it a snow look. The reason I say that frost isn't an issue, is because it occurs during cold, clear nights. Which is usually followed by a clear morning. Ducks will be your first birds to arrive to the field, most often before the sun rises, so frost in this situation is not an issue. Once the sun rises, it takes about 10-15 minutes for the frost to melt off the decoys. With morning hunts lasting 2-3 hours, 10-15 minutes is a narrow margin to get all worked up over a spray bottle with antifreeze. Obviously the other scenario is clouds move in, were of course the frost no longer becomes an issue.

I am by no means trying to tell you what to do; I am simply describing how I handle the situation.

To answer your question about decoys, when hunting snow geese. Sillosocks are going to be your best option. Motion is critical when hunting snows, as well as numbers of decoys(the more the better), followed with an e-caller. I don't find flagging snows to be very effective, a white mass of decoys is going to be more effective then waving a white flag around. You could also add silhouettes, which will add motion. I exclusively use silhouettes now for hunting Canada Geese, this will also eliminate your frost issue.

Last edited by barry01; 04-26-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:28 PM

Thanks guys. I'm the new guy in the hunt so I don't want to rock the boat too much. I could be off on some of those decoy numbers, but I'll keep in mind what you guys have said.

Ducknut, I'm sure the Italian autoloaders are better guns, but I'm sure you'll shoot your guns more in a season or two than I would shoot in a lifetime. I'm leaning towards a wingmaster and improving my shot and then I'll think about getting a better gun when I am better. I'm not very good yet.

Again thanks for the advice guys.

Tags
decoy, frost