Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-26-2009, 10:50 AM

Default Out looking

Well my hunting partner and I went for a quad ride yesterday in the area we hunt in. We set up 3 trail cams on very good looking trails. We were very surprised at just how little water was laying around. One thing of concern was the amount of wolf scat we saw and it was all loaded with deer hair. We did see 17 deer and they were all in great shape (guessing by how fast exited when they saw or heard us) They were very flighty. We never saw any moose but did see evidence of them being around. The local trapper was out but we never saw him, just two trucks parked so he might have been out trapping beaver or he might have been out fixing up his river cabin as it hasn't been used in several years and he hauled in several loads of material,this winter, to repair the roof and the wall where a bear tore into it 2 years ago.
All in all it was a great day trip and I can't tell you just how relaxing it was just to be back in the bush.

Last edited by lilsundance; 04-26-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:20 PM

A major lack of surficial water here as well considering we had a way above average snow fall this winter.
It melted and soaked in leaving deppresions that usually have water till june dry now.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:15 PM

Yes, it sure is dry in the bush. Like I commented in my shed hunting thread a while back, I was also shocked how dry it was. We had a little fire on a cutline to roast some moose cheese smokies on and we were extremely careful about it.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:42 PM

I've been across AB and SK in the past week and things are looking dry everywhere. Kinda scary. Went for a hike in the bush today and wore running shoes... should be ankle deep muck this time of year.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:16 PM

ya its scary alright. If we don't get some moisture and warm weather to green things up, we could be in for a bad forest fire year. Yes we are getting some moisture but this snow doesn't corelate to a lot of moisture.
It was great to see some healthy animals out there.