Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-20-2019, 10:05 PM

Default Fireworks and their effect on wildlife, ecosystems and immigrants

The whole article is simply incredible

The last paragraph is the most inaccurate.......”evolves” being the key word

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5218006
Old 07-20-2019, 10:29 PM

Default Fireworks

What next! The sound of outboard motors deafening fish....?
Old 07-20-2019, 11:07 PM

I was going to say some thing about mufflers and dinosaur farts.... but changed my mind.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:07 AM

Good grief.

The author would’ve dropped a brick had she been present at the Saskatchewan cultural event I attended this evening. A jet engined golf cart cracked 200 km/hr in 100 yards on full afterburner. I’m currently deaf but certainly enriched.

Tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2019, 05:43 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Good grief.

The author would’ve dropped a brick had she been present at the Saskatchewan cultural event I attended this evening. A jet engined golf cart cracked 200 km/hr in 100 yards on full afterburner. I’m currently deaf but certainly enriched.

Tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-21-2019, 06:22 AM

The CBC Liberal propaganda machine is really earning our tax dollar's on this one. I feel so much better knowing my government is keeping me informed and educated.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:23 AM

Angry New Study Needed

I wonder what my Tannerite does? I know it opens up beaver dams really well. We need a study. Government sponsored and I am sure someone can get a Masters or PhD out of it.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:36 AM

Fireworks have been around for 1400 years since being invented in China. Suddenly we have such high morals that we must keep quiet lest we disturb some poor ducks. Lets just go back to living in caves so we'll need to kill every animal we encounter just to eat and survive. Doesn't seem to matter what humans do nowdays, some bleeding heart has to point out what's wrong with it.
I'm sure some ******* will say fireworks contribute to global warming... like a fart in a hurricane.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:54 AM

ibtl

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 07-21-2019, 10:55 AM

Default Fireworks

It is about time someone brought positive attention to this crazy habit of blasting gun powder into the air. Our horses go into complete panic mode when idiots (Ususally high on beer) bang off fireworks at the lake. I had to stay up well into night just to calm our horses down when the fools banged off fireworks against county bylaws and their permit (If they had one) on Sunday the Day before Canada Day. Leave the fireworks to the professionals who know what they are doing! and get them out of the hands of kids.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
It is about time someone brought positive attention to this crazy habit of blasting gun powder into the air. Our horses go into complete panic mode when idiots (Ususally high on beer) bang off fireworks at the lake. I had to stay up well into night just to calm our horses down when the fools banged off fireworks against county bylaws and their permit (If they had one) on Sunday the Day before Canada Day. Leave the fireworks to the professionals who know what they are doing! and get them out of the hands of kids.
Can't tell if this is serious or sarcastic...
Old 07-21-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post

The Greek ?
If it's green it's hydrazine
Old 07-21-2019, 01:36 PM

It’s like they are writing articles to try and find something that people can be offended by. Journalism at its finest. Great to see our tax dollars at work.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:53 PM

Let's start at the top. Problem is she write's for the CBC. That should be nuff said!! But no. She write's "Can be or Can affect". "Will be or Will affect" All speculation. Maybe worn the "New Comers" we like our sparkles and banging noise. Show them the videos!!! Not their cup of tea? There is always somewhere else to go. As far as the animals like deer, they are always running out on the road. Maybe she should do a road trip from Toronto to Calgary instead of flying!! The birds flying into windows, HA, happens without fireworks. How about no windows and just roof top sun roof? (RIGHT) Birds and mammals leaving nest's, well maybe stop pushing them out by building and invading their space they need to feel safe and secure in. Ya what about your Toronto and the GREATER Toronto area? Wild Life? How about for the downtown areas we put up a "NO FLY ZONE" for the duck's and Geese or others that might consider entering the area. As she said "As we evolve as a society" Ya ok lady maybe sit back and realize how much habitat and invasion of privacy and space has been taken away from the wild life you talk about so you could go to your concrete college and diss us cause we like fireworks. Thanks for letting me rant. She might be book smart but not that smart
Old 07-21-2019, 02:05 PM

Too long of a rant but that's me.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
The whole article is simply incredible

The last paragraph is the most inaccurate.......”evolves” being the key word

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5218006
I’m triggered by that article.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:00 PM

I'm not sure why "evolves" is the key word. I guess I'm not up on this stuff but please explain. Thanks.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk270 View Post
I'm not sure why "evolves" is the key word. I guess I'm not up on this stuff but please explain. Thanks.
She said “as we evolve as a society “..... I tend to disagree that we are evolving.

I think we are “morphing “ into some type of humanoid, void of independent thought, common sense, and weak in social interaction skills. We are devolving into a compliant, dependent, scared life form.

We talk a great game, but are easily offended and emotionally fragile, striving to find the easy buck......zero dedication but expecting positive results.

“Hope” is a garbage word. A weak state of mind. Hope kills. Hope destroys.

ACTION gets things done. Action makes changes.

HOPE? Too weak for me.

Very Walter Mitty-ish.

Last edited by huntinstuff; 07-21-2019 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
I train horses and condition them to be gunshot friendly.

Horses have had a significant role in combat and their behavior during explosions have not deterred their use.

The sport of 'Mounted Shooting' has gunshot friendly horses.

At the shooting range deer often walk on to the range while shot are being fired.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gifted Intuitive View Post
I train horses and condition them to be gunshot friendly.

Horses have had a significant role in combat and their behavior during explosions have not deterred their use.

The sport of 'Mounted Shooting' has gunshot friendly horses.

At the shooting range deer often walk on to the range while shot are being fired.
I'm gonna take a bit of an opposite tack. Camped at the equestrian camp ground on the Panther River a couple of years ago. The previous night, a party a little further down the road, celebrated with an extravagant fireworks display that spooked all the horses in the camp ground. There were some very unhappy campers and they emphatically suggested the fireworks should cease.

Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 07-21-2019 at 10:37 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:19 PM

Here’s another doozy of equal stupidity.

https://defensemaven.io/bluelivesmat...0ufwVs7hBHkdg/
Old 07-21-2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Here’s another doozy of equal stupidity.

https://defensemaven.io/bluelivesmat...0ufwVs7hBHkdg/
Berkeley city council in all their collective wisdom also just banned installing natural gas service to any new buildings in town. At least they don’t get particularly cold weather but still......
Old 07-22-2019, 08:06 AM

Default fireworks

Horses and other animals do not panic so much from the 'boom' of fireworks as they associate it with thunder if only a few are set off. When they see the light show in the sky along with the boom it really sets them off into a panic. Fireworks should only be handled by professionals, in city, in a safe area where forest fires will not be started during dry periods.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Horses and other animals do not panic so much from the 'boom' of fireworks as they associate it with thunder if only a few are set off. When they see the light show in the sky along with the boom it really sets them off into a panic. Fireworks should only be handled by professionals, in city, in a safe area where forest fires will not be started during dry periods.
Tell that to the dogs that freak at the sound of thunder, my own included.

Grizz
Old 07-22-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
And horses should only be ridden by cowboys chasing cattle, not by rich cityiots playing dress up.....
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:45 PM

Looks like CBC propaganda machine is desperate to link everything to “climate change”. Now bird populations are dropping because of it. But then they go on to say “Mostly habitat loss is what we have been able to document so far, but there are lots of other factors like climate change, pollution, pesticides, loss of food for the insects”. Thinking they forgot to list cats as well!
Pathetic journalism.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...vity-1.5220415
Old 07-22-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
And horses should only be ridden by cowboys chasing cattle, not by rich cityiots playing dress up.....
Haha ! Yep !
Old 07-22-2019, 06:31 PM

Great article. Thx for posting.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
100 years ago everyone had horses and only the rich had automobiles. Now everyone has automobiles and only the rich have horses.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets