Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-05-2021, 02:20 PM

Default Opinions on Sitka gear

Alright Alberta,
What's everyone's opinions on Sitka gear?
For this year I'm thinking about getting a new jacket and I'm looking at the Jetstream.
I figured I can use it by itself for bowhunting and throw on a bunch of down underneath for the colder November hunts - I'm very lazy and like to hunt blinds and do the minimal amount of moving
Anyone have one? Is it worth the price? I'm a cheap sumbitch.
Thanks in advance
Old 06-05-2021, 04:43 PM

tried them all, Sitka, kuiu, badlands, redhead, Cabela's, but there's only one worth its money and that's under armor. Sitka and kuiu are just plain over priced! Under armor isn't cheap either but the pricing is out of this world and the clothing is great! get under armor.
Old 06-05-2021, 05:13 PM

For kuiu if you want to save money they are on the road and you get 15% off from the trade show. Email them saying you missed the show and could you the code for show discount. They will likely send you a discount code. 👍
Old 06-05-2021, 06:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyCousins View Post
tried them all, Sitka, kuiu, badlands, redhead, Cabela's, but there's only one worth its money and that's under armor. Sitka and kuiu are just plain over priced! Under armor isn't cheap either but the pricing is out of this world and the clothing is great! get under armor.
Under armour is garbage
Only thing that it has going for it is a decent snow camo pattern
Too bad the jacket and pants are terrible
It’s good if you want to go walking around Walmart and think your a hot shot

If your moving around lots when your hunting. Kuiu is better for that purpose. That’s what I’ve found. It’s typically lighter weight and needs to be layered. But it breathes well, has cutting edge materials, and has a good dwr coating.

Sitka I have found is better if your not moving around as much. If your on a quad, sitting in a blind etc. I have found it to be more comfortable and warmer. It’s built tougher than kuiu and as a result it’s heavier. Go figure

Bowhuntercam is a Sitka athlete and he’s killed a lot of world class animals all over the world
Old 06-05-2021, 06:42 PM

Asking 'is it worth it' followed by 'I'm cheap' makes it pretty hard for others to answer that question for you.

I absolutely love Sitka gear, and value it. Ive had amazing success and comfort with it. They are also a HUGE supporter of conservation efforts with nearly unmatched support to various organizations. That sole fact is enough for me to make my decision simple.
Old 06-05-2021, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Under armour is garbage
Only thing that it has going for it is a decent snow camo pattern
Too bad the jacket and pants are terrible
It’s good if you want to go walking around Walmart and think your a hot shot

If your moving around lots when your hunting. Kuiu is better for that purpose. That’s what I’ve found. It’s typically lighter weight and needs to be layered. But it breathes well, has cutting edge materials, and has a good dwr coating.

Sitka I have found is better if your not moving around as much. If your on a quad, sitting in a blind etc. I have found it to be more comfortable and warmer. It’s built tougher than kuiu and as a result it’s heavier. Go figure

Bowhuntercam is a Sitka athlete and he’s killed a lot of world class animals all over the world

Spot on but I'd add Kuiu has some outstanding down products. Love their fleece options.

Underarmor's only comparison to Sitka and Kuiu is the price. Products they offer aren't evem remotely close.
Old 06-05-2021, 08:11 PM

I’ve had great luck with Kuiu products.

I started out very cheap, but when getting geared up for a Caribou hunt I spent the money on Kuiu and a good education on how the layering system works. It was so worth it. They have many sales each year, do some research and figure out which products you need, and start there.

For my personal hunting needs I went with a Peloton mid layer, I use normal base layers... Costco has great merino wool base layers that are good value for the $$.
Next layer is the guide series pants and jacket. The pants may be too warm for early season, so I also use the attack pants for early season. They are easily the most comfortable pants I have ever tried on. The guide wear even in light showers in Nunavut kept me completely dry. For heavy downpour I have a set of Helly Hansen rain gear in my pack. It has not been wet enough when I have gone out this far to have to use it.

I use this line up of gear in various mixes as well as different base layers added in depending on weather. I can use this from -30 to +20. Although for long winter sits I would suggest something warmer.
Old 06-05-2021, 10:00 PM

Sitka is great . Very tough and well fitting .
Another one to look at is Stone Glascier
Old 06-05-2021, 10:24 PM

For hunts that involve lots of hiking or still hunting/spot & stalk early season or backpack hunts where breathable clothing that is good for unexpected weather the high end clothing listed above is worth it. I own a combination of under armor and Sitka for this reason

For sitting in a stand or blind it’s not worth spending the money in my opinion. Just wear layers of whatever fits the weather at the time. You really don’t need anything fancy. Half my clothing for sitting is just cheap camo over layers of day to day clothes and a set of coveralls for cold sits

That is my opinion but some guys like to road hunt decked out in matching Sitka camo so wear whatever turns your crank
Old 06-05-2021, 10:41 PM

I dabble with a few hunting specific brands. I’ll buy neutral colours (don’t get caught in the glam camo patterns!) so I can mix and match what I like. The jet stream jacket is a good choice. I own one and like it. Good at cutting wind and giving a little R value on a mild/ slightly chilly day.

Honestly just sitting in a blind, you can get by without the high tech gear. Often I find myself walking into my stand in Strathcona and the fancy gear is hangin in the closet. I’ll wear warm *gasp* cotton or synthetic layers for a couple hour evening sit. YMMV
Old 06-05-2021, 11:24 PM

Have a buddy that uses it exclusively as he is a guide. Loves their products. 2 years ago it is about all I saw hunters wearing. This past season the "IN" product was Kuiu. Everyone and their brother was wearing it. I use the upper end Kings Camo. While I no doubt some is better than others, I think if you get into the higher end brands I don't feel you would go wrong with their products. I was looking at the Jetstream jacket myself until I got a WAY better price on a discontinued Kings coat. When it came down to it, the Kings camo pattern fit better in my environment. Granted, every year I see hundreds of hunters wearing earth tone neutral colors that are quite successful as well.
Old 06-06-2021, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
For hunts that involve lots of hiking or still hunting/spot & stalk early season or backpack hunts where breathable clothing that is good for unexpected weather the high end clothing listed above is worth it. I own a combination of under armor and Sitka for this reason

For sitting in a stand or blind it’s not worth spending the money in my opinion. Just wear layers of whatever fits the weather at the time. You really don’t need anything fancy. Half my clothing for sitting is just cheap camo over layers of day to day clothes and a set of coveralls for cold sits

That is my opinion but some guys like to road hunt decked out in matching Sitka camo so wear whatever turns your crank

Good one. True dat.
Old 06-06-2021, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post

Maybe driving around hunting in matching Sitka gear makes them feel like “Sitka athletes”. Whatever that means.
Old 06-06-2021, 06:32 PM

Sitkas gear is a good as it gets. I have the jetstream and its a great coat. Quite versatile. Its a bit much for warmer conditions but I have used it in august and in november during minus temps. The pit zips are great and it cuts wind well.
Old 06-06-2021, 07:52 PM

I have lots of it...Love it,
Amazing warranty, I had pants that were 9 yrs old and the zipper split, it was warrantied no questions asked. New pair in the mail.

My GO TO pieces are Jetstream Jacket and Timberline Pant. Picked up the Fanatic suit for bow hunting last fall but never really got a chance to try it out cause it was warmer than expected last November.

I actually want to start buying Sitka solid colours for hiking and fishing mainly because of the fit and materials they use. Super comfortable.
Old 06-06-2021, 08:03 PM

i love my first lite stuff. super light, warm and durable.
Old 06-06-2021, 08:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
Maybe driving around hunting in matching Sitka gear makes them feel like “Sitka athletes”. Whatever that means.
Their athletes are the ones that test their gear before it’s released to the public
Tell them what works, and what doesn’t and what needs to change

They are usually the best of the best 🤷*♂️
Old 06-06-2021, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayquiver View Post
I have lots of it...Love it,
Amazing warranty, I had pants that were 9 yrs old and the zipper split, it was warrantied no questions asked. New pair in the mail.

My GO TO pieces are Jetstream Jacket and Timberline Pant. Picked up the Fanatic suit for bow hunting last fall but never really got a chance to try it out cause it was warmer than expected last November.

I actually want to start buying Sitka solid colours for hiking and fishing mainly because of the fit and materials they use. Super comfortable.
I can vouch that the timberline pant (I own the solid color) is the best hunting pant I’ve ever owned. Very versatile and comfortable
Old 06-06-2021, 10:53 PM

I have a set and like them. I had issues with the zipper and contacted Sitka. Had to take some pics and a few other things and received my new jacket in the mail. You may pay more but their service for me was exceptional
Old 06-07-2021, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byronick87 View Post
Alright Alberta,
What's everyone's opinions on Sitka gear?
For this year I'm thinking about getting a new jacket and I'm looking at the Jetstream.
I figured I can use it by itself for bowhunting and throw on a bunch of down underneath for the colder November hunts - I'm very lazy and like to hunt blinds and do the minimal amount of moving
Anyone have one? Is it worth the price? I'm a cheap sumbitch.
Thanks in advance
I currently have Sitka, Kuiu and Canis gear. They are all great. I have found that they all make great items but no one brand has exactly what I want. I may not match on the hill, but I’m comfortable.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:14 AM

Default sitka

Wapiti in Canmore has one of the better selections of sitka gear You can touch it try it on See if you like it prior to purchase.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:36 AM

It's quality stuff, way over priced.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:14 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone!!
Old 06-07-2021, 09:40 AM

I recently picked up some Sitka pieces. I have some FL/Canis/no name to compare to. I love the Mountain pants, would wear them everyday. I thought the knee pads were gimmicky and took them out and threw them in the pack. When I sat down to glass I put them back in, and found they are no gimmick, I was able to shift positions and really liked them.
The jet stream line really cuts the wind, can be too warm on sunny days.
I also grabbed some base layers and a puffy, shoot me a pm if you have any questions! Overall I have been very happy with everything, but I am also happy with Costco’s cloudveil merino tops as well.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:21 PM

I don’t own any Sitka but have a few UnderArmour pieces. I love their base layers system, I have all 3 layers. Found it way better than Costco’s merino wool base layer. I also have a few pairs of pants- one for a warm weather, very light, been pretty durable so far with no snags etc, another one is a insulated bib pants that I use while hunting birds in late fall or coyotes. Very quiet bib, wind proof and comfortable. With the right base layer, one can wear it in negative temp easily.
I also have a winter camo pants and parka and swear by those! The pants have this infra red or whatever they call it lining and I was wearing them at -20C coyote hunting without any long johns and they are super warm!
If you have time and watch the UnderArmour website regularly- you can get their stuff on a heavy sale! I paid $120 for the bib- the reg price was something like $280!
Old 06-07-2021, 02:00 PM

I own some Sitka products.

Agree it is rugged and well made. I find it a bit thick and warm, but I move around a lot … better for late season than early.
Old 06-09-2021, 08:32 AM

Sitka all the way. Still have and use the first set of Sitka gear I bought when they were introduced in 2007 I believe?
Old 06-09-2021, 02:59 PM

I wear badlands and under armour decent priced my son has firstlite cha ching for that same a sitka
Old 06-10-2021, 09:07 PM

Default My 2 cents...

Have extensive systems in Kuiu and Sitka.

Kuiu: best there is when you're on a mountain chasing sheep. I don't wear it for anything else.

Sitka: best there is for everything else, including the extreme cold that can happen in November/December. Sitka fits me better than anything else -- and I've tried about 10 different brands over time. The Timberline pants are by far my best and most used piece of hunting equipment.

By once, cry once.
- Rule applies to so many things.
Old 06-10-2021, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwee6 View Post
Have extensive systems in Kuiu and Sitka.

Kuiu: best there is when you're on a mountain chasing sheep. I don't wear it for anything else.

Sitka: best there is for everything else, including the extreme cold that can happen in November/December. Sitka fits me better than anything else -- and I've tried about 10 different brands over time. The Timberline pants are by far my best and most used piece of hunting equipment.

By once, cry once.
- Rule applies to so many things.
Thanks Fwee,
I grabbed a pair of timberlines as well....curious if the thunderhead or jetstream (with a couple layers of insulation underneat of course) will hold up to the november december colds...sitting against a tree waiting for somthing to pop out does get chilly