Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-31-2021, 08:55 AM

Default Bow river float

Will be visiting some friends in cgy and thinking of bringing my zodiac to float the bow a bit with my son. They live in Mt Douglas Circle and looks like a good access there. Want to float to Policeman’s flats. Wondering if there’s any hazards to watch for since I’ll be with my little man and wanna sell it as a safe trip to my wife. How long should that take to float?

Also, what bugs are fishing out there this time of year? Will be heading down in 2 weeks. I mostly fish black/white/olive streamers in big water like that but would always prefer to fish dries. Thanks for any help.
Old 05-31-2021, 09:40 AM

I think it's about 3-4 hours from Fish Creek Park to Policeman's Flats on average.

Your biggest hazard is probably just going to be the water flows... mid-June is usually right around the peak of runoff, so there is a lot of debris in the river. I can't really comment on how safe the river would be at this time of year in a Zodiac, but I do know it will likely be high, fast, and cold.
Old 05-31-2021, 09:58 AM

Thanks. Will be watching flows for sure and wouldn’t go if it wasn’t good conditions. Appreciate the heads up.

Cheers
Old 05-31-2021, 06:29 PM

Drove over the Bow today. It’s up and has some runoff color already.
Old 05-31-2021, 11:28 PM

Construction berm under the 22X bridge.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-01-2021, 07:44 AM

With the run-off just getting started and warmer temps in the forecast the likelihood of the Bow being both fishable and low flow wise in 2 weeks is not likely You might want to look at some lake options if you want to stay in the wife's good book as the Bow may not be an option mid June .....
Old 06-10-2021, 07:12 PM

Looks like I’ll be kicking the can down the road on the Bow trip. Thanks as always for the input