Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-08-2020, 01:10 PM

Question Getting a fishing camera to sit still

Hi,
I just bought a fishing camera, works excellent but kinda hard to get to sit still properly in the water column. Was looking at those aqua vu pods, but I've been told by a young fella who has three that they are kinda junky, all of his are broken, so I was looking into making something myself. Any of you guys design something to keep you camera pointing straight in the water?
Old 01-08-2020, 01:12 PM

i wonder if they marcum wirless cammer panner will work for you.

i'm not a handy man so i cant help you with building one. haha

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 01-08-2020, 01:35 PM

I have been using the same Aqua Vue model for several years now and never an issue. They are not made of steel so you have to be a bit careful but I store mine in a cloth bag and it goes in the sled, back of the truck etc. all the time. Just keep your batteries up in the pod and in the pfob as well and you will have no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikanit View Post
Hi,
I just bought a fishing camera, works excellent but kinda hard to get to sit still properly in the water column. Was looking at those aqua vu pods, but I've been told by a young fella who has three that they are kinda junky, all of his are broken, so I was looking into making something myself. Any of you guys design something to keep you camera pointing straight in the water?
Old 01-08-2020, 02:43 PM

I have a aquavu one and a marcum one and no issues.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:55 PM

absolutely love my AV 715c and the MoPod is worth EVERY penny. Never had an issue and man do they ever work. I could watch underwater camera footage all day. On lakes like Sylvan that are pretty clear, you really get a fun show...
Old 01-08-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikanit View Post
Hi,
Yeah, I saw some poor reviews of the mopod. That said, I did pick one up for $60 on Boxing Day from the Fishin Hole. It works great!
Old 01-08-2020, 04:02 PM

I just built a homemade unit out of a 5 gallon bucket lid, bit of lumber and some dowels, got it out once and it worked fine. If I can figure out how to post a picture on here when I get home I'll post it up. I just wanted something to cover up the camera hole completely, there's too much potential to fumble something and lose it down hole with just the fishing holes open.
Old 01-08-2020, 04:25 PM

I have the original Ice Pod (manually turn it) and it works fine for me. It does feel a bit cheap but had no issues with it. I did have to buy some spare stoppers for it though.

I agree with Akoch about the open hole. Thinking i might try jerry-rigging a Catch Cover Safety Cover with something to hold the camera.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:26 AM

What kind of Camera unit did you buy?

Forgot the Marcum panner for our M825 once just used a stick and a couple of rubber band's {Thanks mail lady} the camera head still stayed still once set

I do see some units do not have a stabilizing fin on the Camera body I know without it the camera pan's side to side with it missing.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:58 PM

See if this works.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:07 PM

One trick i like to use is adding a weight to the camera. I attach a weight with whatever length on line you want to have your camera off the bottom send it down. Then you can get a keep the camera cable a bit straighter and taught. Seems to help stabilize the camera. I am using the small screen Amazon camera (eyoyo brand w/ 4.5 inch screen) and the cable and camera head is pretty light. Probably not needed if your camera head is heavier or if you want o downward facing view.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akoch View Post

See if this works.
AH HAH!!! This is it! I have the same camera too so I will try this out. Thanks!!
Old 01-09-2020, 03:55 PM

Very welcome, design could probably use some refinement but it gets the job done without too much fuss and keeps the hole covered (and it was all general junk around the garage). Best of luck!
Old 01-09-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akoch View Post
Very welcome, design could probably use some refinement but it gets the job done without too much fuss and keeps the hole covered (and it was all general junk around the garage). Best of luck!
Ive used the same design only with a slot cut half way across for my tipups when I use them, keeps them from going down a wide ten inch hole, and if you glue a piece of rigid foam to the bottom helps keep the holes from freezing over too. I havent had issues with moving cameras except when a frikkin pike is trying to eat it. you fish in current? I point mine down the hole when Im fishing shallow so I dont have to look down and scare the big girls, also easy to yank out of the hole first thing when you hook up. if Im fishing deep its a race to get it out of the water before it gets tangled, still trying to think of some way to make it automatic.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich